Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give a junkie money?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭blueshark22

So i pulled into a parking spot yesterday, in limerick across from the train station, to just pop in and collect a takeaway, when i got out of the car this fela maybe 23/24 asked had i any change and i said 'il get you on the way back' when i returned i did give him a few euro , but im sure i was just feeding his obvious drug habit , im wondering should i have given him money or just walked past, i just felt so sorry for him (i really don't mean to be condescending towards him ) i probably should have just given him some food??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A mate of mine gave a junkie half of his sandwich one day as he'd asked him for a few bob for something to eat. The junkie threw the sandwich back at him & called him a c*nt.

I suspect that he wasn't actually hungry at all. Not for food anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

He doesn't want your stupid food, he wants to put opiates into his veins as quickly as possible.

True story: I once bought lighter fluid for huffing for a homeless man because he was banned from the shop.

Also true: I was so innocent that at first I assumed he needed it to start a camp fire because he was cold.

They're not injecting it back into the economy that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Hell no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I find a post-dated cheque works best...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not in the junkie league, but a couple of months ago this guy in his early '20s approached my friends and me and asked us for some money for "da head shop". Refreshingly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I don't give anyone money these days.
    Charity begins at home and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

At least you'll know exactly where the money is going if you do.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

So i pulled into a parking spot yesterday, in limerick across from the train station, to just pop in and collect a takeaway, when i got out of the car this fela maybe 23/24 asked had i any change and i said 'il get you on the way back' when i returned i did give him a few euro , but im sure i was just feeding his obvious drug habit , im wondering should i have given him money or just walked past, i just felt so sorry for him (i really don't mean to be condescending towards him ) i probably should have just given him some food??

I've asked in that situation if they want something while I'm heading into the shop/chipper/whatever. Some have said yes and the ones that didn't obviously don't want it for food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

what he suffers from should be considered a sickness and treated with a little simpathy surely we all have been touched by a family member who struggles with addiction problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

A mate of mine gave a junkie half of his sandwich one day as he'd asked him for a few bob for something to eat. The junkie threw the sandwich back at him & called him a c*nt.

Same thing happened to me but in relation to bus fare. A junky stopped me on abbey street and asked "any chaaangeee for da bussss bud?"

I said I could do even better and gave him a bus ticket (with one journey left mind you!) He also called me a cnut and threw the ticket on the ground. Thats junky gratitude for you.

We were walking past the Abbey Street Luas stop las Friday night after a few jars, when a smack head approched us looking for change. My friends offered him a cigarette instead, at which point he told him to **** off as he did not like Silk Cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Did you get a receipt OP? Its tax deductible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Don't give em a penny. PLenty of facilities for homeless in Limerick, and the junkies arent homeless.

If they don't move with the times and accept credit cards, they can **** off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

galwayrush wrote: »
    If they don't move with the times and accept credit cards, they can **** off.....

Oh they'll gladly take credit cards.

zuroph wrote: »
    Oh they'll gladly take credit cards.

So true........:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

You can spot the junkies a mile away. I never give them anything.

There are, however, some genuinely down-and-out people on the streets that aren´t junkies.

I never give them money, but I would often buy them a coffee, sambo, and sit down with them to hear their stories. That means a lot more to them then a few coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

galwayrush wrote: »

Reminds me of American Psycho, "ask him if he takes Am Ex" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

One born every minute. Keep giving and they'll keep asking, sorry demanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

chaaaaaaange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

deise48 wrote: »
    what he suffers from should be considered a sickness and treated with a little simpathy surely we all have been touched by a family member who struggles with addiction problems

Nope, never had any family suffering from any addiction, and sure I feel sorry for them but I'll be fu(ked if im going to fund anyones addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Back when I was a young lad, I'd get Bus Eireann to Dublin maybe twice a year.
    Well, I was over 150km away so a big day out, hurray

And everytime I'd usually come across somebody looking for a pound for the bus and they'd approach and ask me.
    Yeah, didn't seem a strange request so I always gave money and genuinly believed it was somebody stuck for bus fare.

Didn't cop on until about 3 years of this happening, I was so innocent and stupid. And the same feckers asking other people after I walked away.
    Ok, not much money involved but I realy did believe them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Saft Hans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

You can spot the junkies a mile away. I never give them anything.

There are, however, some genuinely down-and-out people on the streets that aren´t junkies.

I never give them money, but I would often buy them a coffee, sambo, and sit down with them to hear their stories. That means a lot more to them then a few coins.

call bs on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Lol. The junkie done the right thing!
    How dare your mate give him only half the sandwich, he could have at least giving him the whole sambo, stingy bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Back when I was a young lad, I'd get Bus Eireann to Dublin maybe twice a year.
    Well, I was over 150km away so a big day out, hurray

And everytime I'd usually come across somebody looking for a pound for the bus and they'd approach and ask me.
    Yeah, didn't seem a strange request so I always gave money and genuinly believed it was somebody stuck for bus fare.

Didn't cop on until about 3 years of this happening, I was so innocent and stupid. And the same feckers asking other people after I walked away.
    Ok, not much money involved but I realy did believe them.

I was the same. Except if they asked "20 pence for a phonecall", I'd give them the 20 pence. It was only after some guy obviously didn't like the fact that it only 20 pence that I copped on.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Do you then ask them for a go of their gee then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

An oul dipso asked me for a euro for a flaggon once, I said here's two euro... get me one aswell.

Called me a smart cnut!

Advertisement