Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give a junkie money?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Have a look at the runners. Anytime I'm in town (around Henery Street) they're always clean runners and white, I doubt "homeless people" can afford brand new sparkling clean runnners...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

There used to be this old fcuker outside Arnotts that just knelt there with his two hands extended, he had a big white beard. He was better bleedin dressed than I was, he a had neck like a jockey's bollicks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Have a look at the runners. Anytime I'm in town (around Henery Street) they're always clean runners and white, I doubt "homeless people" can afford brand new sparkling clean runnners...

They can coz they havent got a mortage.

Degsy wrote: »
    They can coz they havent got a mortage.

I like that :). But come on, if you're begging daily I doubt your white runners are going to look brand new and be brand new. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

So i pulled into a parking spot yesterday, in limerick across from the train station, to just pop in and collect a takeaway, when i got out of the car this fela maybe 23/24 asked had i any change and i said 'il get you on the way back' when i returned i did give him a few euro , but im sure i was just feeding his obvious drug habit , im wondering should i have given him money or just walked past, i just felt so sorry for him (i really don't mean to be condescending towards him ) i probably should have just given him some food??

fcuk him op if you gave him food he might have took that as an insult also you do realise Parnell st(limerick city)is the worst street in limerick for these kind of wasters.It pisses me off that any tourists,travellers coming into the city via bus or train have to witness these low lifes as the first thing see or get taped by,as above poster said none of these wasters are are homeless they live in hostels(wet house alphonsis street,just off henry street),so still have full dole 196 euro per week.
    you should have told him to ff,you'd be doing him a better favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I never give beggars money. This is Ireland. Recession or not, the homeless do not go hungry here.

I was walking through Dun Laoghaire the other day and saw a beggar sitting on the path, head down, paper cup held out, no shoes and was shivering. I find it extremely hard to believe that someone is too down and out to not have shoes and saw it as an obvious sympathy ploy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

deise48 wrote: »
    what he suffers from should be considered a sickness and treated with a little simpathy surely we all have been touched by a family member who struggles with addiction problems
    Do you really believe that giving money to someone struggling with addiction, be it alcohol or substance abuse, is helping them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

yomchi wrote: »
    There used to be this old fcuker outside Arnotts that just knelt there with his two hands extended, he had a big white beard. He was better bleedin dressed than I was, he a had neck like a jockey's bollicks

That was Santa, he was testing you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

its a judgement call.. You won't go to hell for being charitable.

But you'll feel horrible if they use your money to buy drugs infront of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Absolutely agree, Mak, but helping them feed their habit isn't helping.

I'd much prefer to support Simon or one of the organisations who work to actually make a difference for these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I never give them money, but I would often buy them a coffee, sambo, and sit down with them to hear their stories. That means a lot more to them then a few coins.

Bollox it does! You think some homeless dude who faces spending the night outdoors in the cold and freezing rain really feels better after regaling some nosy stranger with his woes?! As for the food, fair play to you, but why not give them the money and let them make up their own minds? I always find it condescending when people assume that they know better then the person they're donating to. If a homeless person feels that a naggin of whiskey will get him through the night better, then who the hell am I to argue?!

But you'll feel horrible if they use your money to buy drugs infront of you.

You know what, I don't really care.

If I gave a beggar one Euro, I do believe it cost the person more than that to ask for it.

Guys, I know embedded youtube links are largely ignored in AH..

But I would ask anyone to look through this;

And not be moved.

makikomi please give it over with the bleeding hearts bs,(i read a lot of your posts and so i know your not an idot or a bleeding heart) you've got to help those who help themselves.limerick is not dublin,in the fact that limerick is a much smaller place.Nobody in limerick should be homeless,only by choice and fcuk those cnuts who think otherwise they deserve nothing.

This is not a rant iv'e been down a few times,you get yourself out of it.

cruiser178 wrote: »
    makikomi please give it over with the bleeding hearts bs,(i read a lot of your posts and so i know your not an idot or a bleeding heart) you've got to help those who help themselves.limerick is not dublin,in the fact that limerick is a much smaller place.Nobody in limerick should be homeless,only by choice and fcuk those cnuts who think otherwise they deserve nothing.

Don't kid yourself, its a rant alright.

If I gave a beggar one Euro, I do believe it cost the person more than that to ask for it.

And not be moved.

Yeah but when you hear "got a euro buuuuddddd?" and you give it to them and then see them 5 minutes later and see them stoned, you feel a bit annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I have given money to junkies/alcoholics/homeless people in the past; usually when i was drunk and just felt like it, for whatever reason.
    Probably wasn't a selfless gesture, if such a thing exists.
    In that sense, you could say that the person i gave the money to was providing a service to me at the time; that it was a transaction true to the basest form of capitalism.
    I, for some reason, wanted to hand some money to that person at that time, and that person took the money.
    A fair trade; we both got what we wanted.

Yeah but when you hear "got a euro buuuuddddd?" and you give it to them and then see them 5 minutes later and see them stoned, you feel a bit annoyed.

If they get stoned five minutes later on my one Euro I want whatever you think they're having.

Someone who asks you for money is attempting to help themselves; if someone wishes to give them what they ask for, for whatever reason, who are you to judge them?
    Do you feel that doing so has a deliterious effect on society? On other people?
    Are you not, infact, the 'bleeding heart' here?
    Or should a 'bleeding heart's' heart only bleed for particular people?

If they get stoned five minutes later on my one Euro I want whatever you think they're having.
    You'd be surpirsed at Dublin 1 then. A euro per person for about 7 hours = 80ish at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

And not be moved.

You're a big softie for all your tough guy image!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

There's no1 homeless in Limerick. no1. the junkies have new runners, go home to their council houses at night, and get the dole. a few euro from a few people an hour , and they have more money than I earn working.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Someone who asks you for money is attempting to help themselves; if someone wishes to give them what they ask for, for whatever reason, who are you to judge them?
    Do you feel that doing so has a deliterious effect on society? On other people?
    Are you not, infact, the 'bleeding heart' here?
    Or should a 'bleeding heart's' heart only bleed for particular people?

the first sentance of your post makes me think you live in a very small world ffs.I hope you are never that far down or you will be screwed.

Einhard wrote: »
    You're a big softie for all your tough guy image!!

Do I come across like that?.

I've done a lot of living, I may not be the most articulate guy on boards.ie - but 'tough guy' I ain't.

Or if I am, its not an image I want people knowing me as. (if that makes sense).

Don't kid yourself, its a rant alright.

makkiomi its not a rant,if you are homeless on the streets for a long while then you're doing something disasterly wrong and dont tell me that anybody who is capable of begging off strangers is not capible of looking after themselevs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

A mate of mine gave a junkie half of his sandwich one day as he'd asked him for a few bob for something to eat. The junkie threw the sandwich back at him & called him a c*nt.

I suspect that he wasn't actually hungry at all. Not for food anyway.

same happened to me in london a couple of years ago. out on a saturday night, left earlyish especially to get a toasted sandwich before the place would close and was walking back to the car when i saw a couple sorting out their cardboard and blankets for the night. they had a cup out for change but i thought since it was pretty cold that they could do with the toastie. they said thanks then called me back looking for money. felt like taking the toastie back. i went home hungry to just tea and toast.

And not be moved.

btw this video weakens your argument,all drugies

the first sentance of your post makes me think you live in a very small world ffs.I hope you are never that far down or you will be screwed.

I think you misunderstood my post.

ascanbe wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood my post.

i dont think it but explain?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The OP is in Limerick

Well from my limited experience, you see a lot more homeless people in Galway then Limerick.

But then Galway is smaller and you have hostels like Fairgreen just a few hundred metres from Eyre Sq.
    Hang around Eyre Sq for a few minutes and you'll get approached for change.
    That just doesn't happen in O'Connell St Limerick.
    Limerick is not a big city but has a larger city centre then Galway.

But I'm going on what you can see and not what exists but don't see. I can't monitor that, government agencies can do this.

Advertisement