Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give a junkie money?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cruiser178 wrote: »
    btw this video weakens your argument,all drugies

You looked at it a max of 13 minutes - don't annoy me ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The OP is in Limerick

Well from my limited experience, you see a lot more homeless people in Galway then Limerick.

But then Galway is smaller and you have hostels like Fairgreen just a few hundred metres from Eyre Sq.
    Hang around Eyre Sq for a few minutes and you'll get approached for change.
    That just doesn't happen in O'Connell St Limerick.
    Limerick is not a big city but has a larger city centre then Galway.

But I'm going on what you can see and not what exists but don't see. I can't monitor that, government agencies can do this.

local organisations confirm that there is a bed for everyone in Limerick. There was a tragic incident a few years ago where a homeless man sleeping in a bin was crushed in a rubbish truck in the early morning, turns out it was his frist night in Limerick, and the groups hadnt yet become aware of him, and there would have been plenty of space for him.

The junkies in Limerick are different though, they're not homeless sorts, they're just scumbags. they've mobile phones, the latest tracksuits and runners, and use intimidation tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

The OP is in Limerick

Well from my limited experience, you see a lot more homeless people in Galway then Limerick.

But then Galway is smaller and you have hostels like Fairgreen just a few hundred metres from Eyre Sq.
    Hang around Eyre Sq for a few minutes and you'll get approached for change.
    That just doesn't happen in O'Connell St Limerick.
    Limerick is not a big city but has a larger city centre then Galway.

But I'm going on what you can see and not what exists but don't see. I can't monitor that, government agencies can do this.
    Nobody in any of these so called citys needs to be homeless

You looked at it a max of 13 minutes - don't annoy me ffs.
    ?????? ffs makikomi will you get with,broaden your mind ffs.Believe it or not there is a world outside dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

?????? ffs makikomi will you get with,broaden your mind ffs.Believe it or not there is a world outside dublin

Now your talking ****e ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yep, to be fair there are many facilities in Galway.
    I believe there is a "wet" hostel also or at least there was talk of getting one.
    Fairgreen Hostel is huge, I used to pass it every night when I worked in nearby hotels.
    There are centres where you can spend your day and courses, even adult literacy courses all over the city.

I don't know the facilities in Limerick, I'd imagine the groups are even better organized.

As said though, aggressive junkies around Cruises St are a whole different issue. If anything happens to you it's pretty random.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Personally, I think they are human beings who deserve as many chances as they can get and less of this holier than thou BS, from idiots who've never even thought to think like some of these people or what makes them tick.. Who chooses a life like that, ye ****in single-celled idiots, duh rings a bell over and over......and over.........morans....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Personally, I think they are human beings who deserve as many chances as they can get and less of this holier than thou BS, from idiots who've never even thought to think like some of these people or what makes them tick.. Who chooses a life like that, ye ****in single-celled idiots, duh rings a bell over and over......and over.........morans....

:D

was waiting for a real moron to spot that.....

dont mean you either hugh!! sorry if it looks like that.

by the way, gimme a drink or ill knife you-hoo:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

They usually ask me for money for a Refuge. When i dont give it to them they can become quite aggressive. There not going to a hostel. Im afraid theyed spend the money on food. When i light a cigarette, they appear out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

We were walking past the Abbey Street Luas stop las Friday night after a few jars, when a smack head approched us looking for change. My friends offered him a cigarette instead, at which point he told him to **** off as he did not like Silk Cut.

Don't blame him silk cut are minging!

grow up with your stupid posts,you from lim rwa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Do I come across like that?.

I've done a lot of living, I may not be the most articulate guy on boards.ie - but 'tough guy' I ain't.

Or if I am, its not an image I want people knowing me as. (if that makes sense).

I'm joking! Just referring to you being a martial arts mod!

If he told me out straight it was for smack id give it to him.
    so going by that logic you would like to keep the drug dealers financed,sweet ****ing jusus........stop mike or you will be banned again,,,what a stupid post

grow up with your stupid posts,you from lim rwa

human beings man, people, same as you and me..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Touched??
    Why should i feel sorry for someone stupid enough to start putting ****e into their bodies.We bend over backselves to help people that is wrong,if someone wants help they have to ask cause thats means their interested in getting sorted out
    If a homeless person asked me for a cup of tea or a sambo id get them one but they never seem to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

its a judgement call.. You won't go to hell for being charitable.
    Likewise, you aint going to heaven for giving money to a junkie to spend on heroin.

And
    There but for the grace of God, go I
    I respectfully disagree. There, but for my character, work ethic, hard life choices, etc Go I.
    Gods grace had nothing to do with it. I don't blame god for floods, earthquakes or Irelands scumbag population, and I won't be thanking him for my hard work either! (not to say that its actually hard work to live your life without becoming a junkie, no matter how low you started on the socio-economic ladder)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

The group I feel sorry for are the working poor they don't sit on street corners but are probably in a worse situation with taxes,debts and out goings.

I can't help but still for bad for the beggars on the street though, I fall for all the ploys, especially when they have dogs with them.

I think they share the dog though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

It can be hard to distinguish between a junkie and an actual homeless person most of the time. I would give a homeless person something if I had it in my hand as I was going by, but if theres more than one beside each other (intimidating I think) or if they just look like they have sat down and are moving on between areas then I wouldnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Einhard wrote: »
    I'm joking! Just referring to you being a martial arts mod!

Ah, get you now.

Well the Judo is just s sport for me. I train four nights a week & compete as often as I can - just as any other sports man would.

Tbh, I think hurling & football is tougher.. Gaelic football, not to be confused with that pussy soccer sh*t!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

d22ontour wrote: »
    That was Santa, he was testing you...

That makes sense now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

You know what, I don't really care.

If I gave a beggar one Euro, I do believe it cost the person more than that to ask for it.

Guys, I know embedded youtube links are largely ignored in AH..

But I would ask anyone to look through this;

And not be moved.

I think Irish TV should be making documentaries on topics like this. TG4 is the only station that regularly makes interesting programmes on Irish issues.

Not too sure about the guy that was doing the interviewing in this video though. He came across sounding like a bit of a fraud trying to use all the "street lingo". A few times he was using phrases that the junkies didn't even know.
    Him: " So how much is is for tag now?"
    Junkie: " What do ya mean?"
    Him: " How much for a bag?"

He would have come off better if he didn't try to be someone else.

I also thought he's line of questioning was weak. I don't really care if the guy uses heroin "spliff wise" or "chasing the dragon," thats not going to give me any insight into him as a person.

Louis Theroux he ain't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Check out this junkie, a little bit more articulate than your average one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No. I can think of a million other ways to be charitable more effectively.

Giving money to a junkie just perpetuates their drug addiction. You know that euro you give them will be going on their next hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Nicewanbiy

deise48 wrote: »
    what he suffers from should be considered a sickness and treated with a little simpathy surely we all have been touched by a family member who struggles with addiction problems

I really can't stand this opinion.

The person should be considered a Junkie AKA Scum of the Earth, end of.

All the hard working people in this country getting up at 6am, feeding the kids and off out for a hard days work and we should feel sympathy for some bum who packed in responsibility for a shot of H, only to get the hit they carry out some crime in the process, bollo*ks.

What they need is a kick up the arse and get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So i pulled into a parking spot yesterday, in limerick across from the train station, to just pop in and collect a takeaway, when i got out of the car this fela maybe 23/24 asked had i any change and i said 'il get you on the way back' when i returned i did give him a few euro , but im sure i was just feeding his obvious drug habit , im wondering should i have given him money or just walked past, i just felt so sorry for him (i really don't mean to be condescending towards him ) i probably should have just given him some food??

I wouldn't give a junkie the steam off me piss!

Thanks!

Advertisement