Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend A Good Boresighter ?

Options
  • 21-08-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Lads, looking to get a decent boresighter for the .223 remmy, I've been on the internet and theres loads of them...laser boresighters, ones that anchor onto the front of your barrell and magnetic ones....what ones have ye used if any ? and what one would ye recommend as having been tried and tested by your good selves ?

By the way, do you guys think the boresighters that you shove into the muzzle of your barrell and look through your scope to see a grid etc etc could damage the muzzle of the barrell...you are shoving a bit of metal down the wrong way into the barrell.....just a thought ? As usual any info, recommendations, or warnings are all very welcome and appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Yes...
    Your dominent eye !
    Forget these newfangled boresighters.
    Get your rifle in a "clamped" fixed position.
    Position the rifle so that as you look down the bore you are on a small object in the distance ... Say 500m+ away.
    Now without moving the rifle adjust your scope crosshairs onto the same object (do I make sense)??
    I do it free hand off the bench at this stage to be honest.
    Something like a house light at night is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

vixdname wrote: »
    Lads, looking to get a decent boresighter for the .223 remmy, I've been on the internet and theres loads of them...laser boresighters, ones that anchor onto the front of your barrell and magnetic ones....what ones have ye used if any ? and what one would ye recommend as having been tried and tested by your good selves ?

By the way, do you guys think the boresighters that you shove into the muzzle of your barrell and look through your scope to see a grid etc etc could damage the muzzle of the barrell...you are shoving a bit of metal down the wrong way into the barrell.....just a thought ? As usual any info, recommendations, or warnings are all very welcome and appreciated.

A good Bore sihhter? Ezridax :p

I use 25yards, bolt out and bring cross lines onto target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I wouldn't bother with a boresighter.

Bean bag for under the butt of the rifle, bipod on the rifle, and an A4 sheet with a clearly visible target on it, such as a one inch black circle.

It's easier to do this at 50 or 25 yards in fairness.

Take the bolt out of the rifle.

Looking down the bore try to get that black dot as centered as possible. Have the rifle so when you take your hands off it after centering it does not move from that position.

Look through your scope without touching or moving the rifle.

You will likely need to make some corrections on your scope for windage and elevation to get your crosshairs onto the black dot.

Hands off again, check once more that the bore is centered on that black dot by looking down it. If it is not centered then move it until it is, and recheck scope without touching the rifle.

You'll definitely be on paper. Trying to get away from buying gadgets and gizmos myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

johngalway wrote: »
    Trying to get away from buying gadgets and gizmos myself.

+1.

Unless you are constantly changing scope from one rifle to another or something similar its a "Luxury item" IMO.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I like this one and have found it to be useful
    370798.jpg
    However, the lads are right, you really do not need one. Look through the barrel and see your target at 25 or 50. Drop the scope on, line her up, and fire a few shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Or find someone to do it for you :D

I find every time I do it I get a little better.
    But it is muck easier to adjust a good scope and rifle when in a fixed position.

make up a jig out of timber to hold your rifle in, hve the jig set up in your shed etc.

Advertisement