Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Processing Wise Which Works Best?

• 21-08-2010 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

I've processed a few photos with a harsh look to them. I'm quite liking it but I'm not sure if other people would as it may just look rough to others. I'd like some opinion on whether you think it works or not- forget the photo for the moment, I'm after some feedback on the processing. I know on the harshly processed image there's some flatness around the mid left cheek that needs work, if you can look past that for the moment that'd be great. Many thanks for any advice/comments left.

Harsh:
    6ACDEE26944D44EEA8E929A09ABA350F-0000333844-0001869831-00800L-87BBBC3194F143D3A6FD677794074B14.jpg

Soft:
    A1D048C36DB940DB98D69A5EA19BA9A0-0000333844-0001869832-00800L-F46218AD86614C339486A517865C1913.jpg

Which Processiing Works Best 42 votes

Harsh
    0%
    Soft
    100%
    OSiriSKintarō HattoriTrev MjoolsveerPaulwRiamfadaJimBacchusDara RobinsonMartMaxCiaran500kjtsmellthegloveNewaglishFajitas!NforceMr. GrievesGhostInTheRuinsGhost Train.Longshanks. 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Soft
    Harsh. And you could create a poll for this thread too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Soft
    ThOnda wrote: »
    Harsh. And you could create a poll for this thread too ;)

A good idea but stupidly I forget how- it's been so long snce I added one.

EDIT: Found it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Soft
    I think the *rule* is sharpen men, soften women. In this case I think the rule fits the gender issue.

Harsh it is for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Soft
    Would say particular background doesn't work well with the processing of the soft version, so not really a fair comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Soft
    Harsh, Harsh and... ...errr....ummmm..... ...Harsh

• Advertisement

Soft
    Would say particular background doesn't work well with the processing of the soft version, so not really a fair comparison

Hmnn I hadn't thought of it like that. What background would have worked well with the soft version? It's a living room wall btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Soft
    Hmnn I hadn't thought of it like that. What background would have worked well with the soft version? It's a living room wall btw.

you'd need something that after processing would look similar to the harsh version, so dark or black background I guess

would probably be hard to beat the detail you're getting with the harsh processing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Soft
    I'd choose the harsh pp'ing by a mile!!
    Looks good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Soft
    Harsh - 15
    Soft - 0

I think you may have your answer!

Soft
    Harsh - 15
    Soft - 0

I think you may have your answer!

HaHa I think you're right. I had thought the harsh processing was best myself but the other half was adamant that soft was better so it threw me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I think the *rule* is sharpen men, soften women. In this case I think the rule fits the gender issue.

Harsh it is for me.

Shows what I know. I picked soft. Though it's probably too soft. I think the other is too harsh. Maybe somewhere in between would be correct for my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Soft
    Defo harsh for me. Remind me a lot of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'd like a 3rd option inbetween towards harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Soft
    Definitely harsh looks more impressive.
    It would be even better if he didn't look like a stuck-up, egotistical, angry person.
    I've never understood why seemingly MOST posed pictures are posed in this fashion. Why do you people want to look like obnoxious jerks when they're getting their pictures taken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I think the *rule* is sharpen men, soften women.

Well, you learn something new every day. I wouldn't have known this.

Soft
    I'd like a 3rd option inbetween towards harsh.

Ah would ya feic off, two was enough work!
    Heebie wrote: »
    Definitely harsh looks more impressive.
    It would be even better if he didn't look like a stuck-up, egotistical, angry person.
    I've never understood why seemingly MOST posed pictures are posed in this fashion. Why do you people want to look like obnoxious jerks when they're getting their pictures taken?

Really? I don't see that at all. Yeah it's posed but he didn't try too hard, he's just looking out over a balcony. It's amazing what we can see and judge from a picture and the reality can be so much different. The reality here is that he's a fantastically sound guy- not at all like an obnoxious jerk! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Harsh, without a doubt. And if you can slightly darken...a tad, a touch. Not so much as to lose detail in the hair/forehead area on the right of topic's nog (as we look at it)

KH...to really land that photo I'd think to try and naturally measure the distance from the tip of white eyebrow on the subject's left (as we look) and crop to an extra 1 third of existing difference. If you have it on the shot.

i.e. shift your crop just a touch or two to the left of frame (if you've got the space on orig.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Soft
    Harsh looks very interesting and detailed, I'd like to try it now. :)

Advertisement