Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasabi

Options
  • 21-08-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Anyone where to buy Wasabi paste in Dublin. If you have an recipes to use it in would be great too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

both tesco and superquinn stock it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

foodaholic wrote: »
    both tesco and superquinn stock it

Are you serious? I was working in the UK for a while and could not find it anywhere. Bought the wasabi sauce in Tesco Uk but could not find the paste. Maybe I will use it in my cooking club recipe in jan 2011 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i'll make a note in my diary to buy some for your recipe :D

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253663271

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Most wasabi sold in Europe contains less than 10% wasabi - the main ingredient is horseradish.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭finnigan

you could try the ASIA supermarkets around! they always have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I get it in some of the asian shops....

I often use it in any recipe instead of mustard.

Also sometimes mix it with mayo as a dip for fish fingers, chicken gougons ,etc.

Mix a bit of the powder in with breadcrumbs to coat pork, fish, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Dinkie wrote: »
    I get it in some of the asian shops....

I often use it in any recipe instead of mustard.

Also sometimes mix it with mayo as a dip for fish fingers, chicken gougons ,etc.

Mix a bit of the powder in with breadcrumbs to coat pork, fish, etc

Does it come in powder form as well? Thought it was just paste and sauce. Getting better every minute. Can't wait to start experimenting with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Horseradish (21.7%) ,Soybean Oil ,Salt ,Wasabi Japonice (5%)

The link to the Tesco Wasabi above shows 21.7% Horseradish and only 5% Wasabi.

It is common in the west to pass off horseradish as Wasabi because it is cheaper and more common.

Question : where can I get pure Wasabi ( or much higher % of Wasabi) or an actual Wasabi root in Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Zombie, but moving to Dublin City to see if the locals can help on the latest query.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Daveone

MOst Wasabi's outside of Japan are predominately Horseradish, Mustard and green Food colouring. This is most likely what you will get in sushi restaurants etc

Fallon & byrnes may stock the authentic stuff, They are situated just off Georges St and are usually a good bet for niche foods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Try these UK guys maybe.

Advertisement