Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you repeat the same year twice?

• 21-08-2010 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

If on your first go you pass 4 out of 7 subjects but then on your second go passed only 2 of the 3 remaining could you repeat again with just 1 subject?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

yes. You can repeat as often as you want providing the college has the resources to accomodate you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you fail some of your repeat exams, do you have to repeat the entire year or can you just sit the exams again the year after ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

if you fail some of your repeat exams, do you have to repeat the entire year or can you just sit the exams again the year after ?
    As far as I know you can just repeat the exams externally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

It's 50/50 tbh.

You need to clarify with your school office or head of department. Did you register for the repeats?

Technically you can repeat externally forever, but internally there are a certain amount of times you can repeat & attend. As Shay said it depends on resources which are tighter. It could come down to course and the demand on places on the course....

im doing the same course as my flatmate, and he's doing the repeats next week so I was just wondering what hsi options were if he doesn't pass one of them.

• Advertisement

im doing the same course as my flatmate, and he's doing the repeats next week so I was just wondering what hsi options were if he doesn't pass one of them.

He has 3 options if he doesn't pass....

1. Repeat the exam at the next sitting, depending on the course this would usually be in May. He would not be registered as a student and would not have access to the library, computers or be able to attend classes.

2. Another option would be to apply to repeat & attend. this is basicly where he fills out a repeat application form which is viewed by a head of department. If there are spaces/resources available he could attend all the classes for this subject. There would be a fee implication in this instance, hard to determine but it is based on credits.

3. Lastly, in early September when the repeat results are out the college opens applications to students seeking to carry a subject into their next year of study. I'm afraid this option isn't too straight forward and depends on a few things. one very important thing to note on this is that no subject over 10 credits can be carried. Again he first point of call if this is the preferred option is to the school office to talk to either the school administrator or head of department.....

Hopefully he'll do ok and won't need to do anything but go into the next year of his course :D

Ms Happy wrote: »
    He has 3 options if he doesn't pass....

1. Repeat the exam at the next sitting, depending on the course this would usually be in May. He would not be registered as a student and would not have access to the library, computers or be able to attend classes.

Since he wouldn't be registered as a student would he be able to claim JSA?

I thought students weren't allowed to sign on straight away after college, have to wait a set amount of time or something

I thought students weren't allowed to sign on straight away after college, have to wait a set amount of time or something

LC students can't. They have to wait until 3 months after they sat their last exam.
    Students in between years can't unless they have a JSB entitlement.
    Students that finish their final year can sign on the day after they complete their last exam.

If you need more info on that, ask in the State Benefits forum.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    LC students can't. They have to wait until 3 months after they sat their last exam.
    Students in between years can't unless they have a JSB entitlement.
    Students that finish their final year can sign on the day after they complete their last exam.

If you need more info on that, ask in the State Benefits forum.
    Do you just mean the summer vacation?

Would repeating a year externally count as being in between years?

• Advertisement

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Do you just mean the summer vacation?

Would repeating a year externally count as being in between years?

I'm just talking about summer holidays.
    Ask in State Benefits forum if you want a more comprehensive reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

If you repeat externally does it cost the same as repeating and attending? Or is it just a case of paying for the exams?

Schism wrote: »
    If you repeat externally does it cost the same as repeating and attending? Or is it just a case of paying for the exams?

AFAIK its only a matter of paying for the exams.
    something like €25 per subject.
    I'm open to correction here though

€25.00 it is. If the form is late it's €37.50

Advertisement