Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achadh an Iúir/Virginia

Options
  • 22-08-2010 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of moving to Virginia and I'm wondering what it's like.

First question, is broadband easily available? I'll be renting initially and I wonder is broadband standard in apartments/houses now. Much of my work depends on broadband.

Is there a gaelscoil in Virginia yet? If not, where is the nearest one? What is the Vocational School like reputation-wise? Where else do people go to secondary school?
    Who is the biggest employer in the town and area?
    Where's the nearest gym and is the GAA clubhouse (Ramor United, I believe?) modern with bar facilities and/or gym?

Where's the best pint in the town, and the cheapest?

Where is trad music played and on what nights? Are there music teachers around? Do Conradh na Gaeilge still meet in the Riverfront Hotel each Wednesday? (http://www.cnag.ie/index.php?page=feachtais&campaign_id=22&lang=en) Where would I have to go to get Irish classes for adults?

Is there much anti-social activity, boy racers and the like or is it fairly OK in this regard?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    I'm thinking of moving to Virginia and I'm wondering what it's like.
    I moved down 2.5 years ago and love it. Nice town, friendly people. Couple of good pubs and 10 mins from the new dual-carriageway/motorway - 40 mins to Blanch
    First question, is broadband easily available? I'll be renting initially and I wonder is broadband standard in apartments/houses now. Much of my work depends on broadband.
    No such thing as broadband being standard (didn't even have that when I lived in Dublin) but if you're in the town itself or the surrounding estates you should be OK (I have 7MB myself). If you're living outside of the town though it may not be as straightforward.
    Is there a gaelscoil in Virginia yet? If not, where is the nearest one?
    No there's not - no idea where the nearest one is (personally I think Irish is a dead language and the time spent would be better used teaching our kids German/French/Spanish/Dutch so they can compete in the workplace - but that's another argument :))
    What is the Vocational School like reputation-wise? Where else do people go to secondary school?
    The college has a good rep and is pretty well looked after from what I've seen (part of Cavan VEC). Other schools include St Oliver PP in Oldcastle (10 mins drive away) and there's 2 in Kells as far as I recall.
    Who is the biggest employer in the town and area?
    Probably the Glanbia plant on the way in to the town (Dublin side)
    Where's the nearest gym and is the GAA clubhouse (Ramor United, I believe?) modern with bar facilities and/or gym?
    I'll leave this one for someone else as I've no idea :)
    The Woodbine isn't bad. Matthews is good too.
    Where is trad music played and on what nights? Are there music teachers around? Do Conradh na Gaeilge still meet in the Riverfront Hotel each Wednesday? (http://www.cnag.ie/index.php?page=feachtais&campaign_id=22&lang=en) Where would I have to go to get Irish classes for adults?
    Again no idea. Not my kinda music :)
    Is there much anti-social activity, boy racers and the like or is it fairly OK in this regard?
    No in that regard its fairly quiet, certainly by Dublin standards (though I have heard of a few incidents) but in all honesty I'm becoming concerned about the growing number of bored looking 13/14 year olds I'm seeing sitting around the last year or so. Also the local Garda station is part-time so the closest is Bailleborough (good 20 mins drive away).
    Thanks.
    No bother! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

There is a Gaelscoil in Kilinkere, approx 5km from Virginia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Grainne101

Re broadband, gotta agree, can be hit and miss in the surrounding parishes but within the town boundaries you should be fine.

Is there a gaelscoil in Virginia yet? If not, where is the nearest one? What is the Vocational School like reputation-wise? Where else do people go to secondary school?

No there is no Gaelscoil in Virginia, the nearest would probably be Cavan town as the Killinkere one did not secure the necessary funding, it was supposed to open last year but this didn't come off unfortunately :rolleyes:

Virginia College used to be an excellent school although the reputation has slipped comsiderably in recent years. Other second level schools in the area would be Baileboro Community School; St. Clare's College in Ballyjamesduff; St Oliver Plunketts in Oldcastle; Eureka and the Community School in Kells.

I'd imagine the biggest employer of Virginia people would still be Quinn Insurance in Cavan although there is a lot of commuters going to Dublin etc, Glanbia would be a big employer too though

A new gym has opened just outside Virginia on the Baileboro road, there is an established gym under Skellys in BJD and if you are looking for a gym with a pool try Baileboro or Cavan, Kells also has swimming pool but don't know if it has a gym.

Don't think Ramor United has bar or gym facilities but could be wrong on this.

Ooooh, controversial question, Matthews and Healys both serve good pints, prices are pretty much the same all round

I'm not aware of anywhere playing Trad music on a regular basis but I know Healys had a trad band a few Sunday nights during the Summer and think Enagh House (Mickey Dennings to the locals) outside the town about 5 kms on way to B'boro have a band every Sunday night too, not sure if this is always trad though.

Yep there are music teachers in Virginia, plenty of them, check notice board in Supervalu for lists, depends what instrument you are looking for.

Yep think the conversational Irish is still going on on Wednesday mornings in the Riverfront, was looking at a sign for this only last week.

Try VEC website for adult Irish classes.

Its pretty ok as far as I can see, as previously said can be a lot of kids hanging around in the evenings round Centra etc but prob get that anywhere.

Hope this helps :)

Advertisement