Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Eat Tomorrow with the Folks?

Options
  • 22-08-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, im looking to bring my folks to lunch or dinner tomorrow (Sunday). I'm looking for suggestions of any places you enjoy..
    Preferably on the northside of the city or city centre but if you absolutely insist i visit somewhere beyond please feel free to post.

some info..
    my folks are plain and simple so an adventurous menu might not be best i.e. they like to know what will be on the plate and how it will taste when they order..
    they are also OAP's so somewhere too trendy would be lost on them..
    my mams a diabetic so we wont be going to lunch in Buttlers Cafe etc. either..
    and im not a tight arse but i dont appreciate paying €9 for soup..

somewhere traditional, in a nice location, simple menu, room and comfort to chat would be great..but something different would be cool too..any restaurant boats?:)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Yacht, Clontarf - haven't heard a bad word against it yet.

Beaumont House - nice food, nice surroundings but god damn awful staff.

The Golf Links, Portmarnock. Lovely food, lovely settings and family run.

Oscar Taylors, Malahide. Smashing grub, great staff. Deadly pint and walk it all off on Malahide strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hey,

i know the Yacht and i agree its nice, i know the Beaumont House too and i agree about the staff too, in particular the owner! haha. anyway its only up the road from me so not what im lookin for..

the other two suggestions are great..i'll defo do one of those if i get no other suggestions, i've never been to either so looking forward to something different!
    thanks very much!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Beaumont House? Mediocre carvery at astonishingly rip off prices. Take your pint of Guinness alone in there: 4.95 and that's down from a flat 5 quid a year ago. Now consider the owners connection with Fianna Fail. So, by drinking and eating in this bland rip off joint you are putting into the FF party swag bag almost directly. This may well be your thing and an easy way for you to assist Fianna Fail in it's fundrasing campaign for the next election. Not for this Joe Schmo thank you sir. Sinister pub raking cash in for a less than cridible party imo.

Hemmingways on Vernon Ave. perhaps?
    here.

Or Clontarf Castle? It's ok. Could be perfect for the folks. Straight forward menu in very pleasant setting.

humberklog wrote: »

Hemmingways on Vernon Ave. perhaps?
    here.

Was two lines into the link and my mouth was watering!..

Was two lines into the link and my mouth was watering!..

And Mak it's a lovely little spot. Ye'd walk by without noticing it. Directly across from Beshoff's. The front of shop's only about 8 foot across.

Or OP there's some great places on the pier in Howth these days. Little bit of an outing for the parents?

On a by-the-by Mak. 3.95 a pint in Campions has been getting my vote the last week or so. Not bad at all.

• Advertisement

On a by-the-by Mak. 3.95 a pint in Campions has been getting my vote the last week or so. Not bad at all.

When were you in Campions?.

I was there Thursday night, brought down a platter of BBQ'd drum sticks & wings, plus some cocktail sausages.

When were you in Campions?.

I was there Thursday night, brought down a platter of BBQ'd drum sticks & wings, plus some cocktail sausages.

I was in the bar for last orders (down by about 10.40) on Thursday, damn missed that. Pretty sure it was Thu. Busy week, losing track of days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Restaurant 1014 in Clontarf. Just past the wooden bridge.
    It supports a good cause too -it's owned by C.A.S.A..

Here's their Sunday Lunch Menu
    2 courses €19.95, 3 courses €24.95

I was in the bar for last orders (down by about 10.40) on Thursday, damn missed that. Pretty sure it was Thu. Busy week, losing track of days.

I like the craic with the lads in the lounge tbh.

Should be there this evening before, during & after the Dublin game :D

Btw, when they get to know your face - last order's can drag on, and on, and on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was in the Beaumount House once for dinner when my bro was out in hospital, decent food but fairly expensive for a carvery (I didn't pay for it but still:D).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

The Yacht, Clontarf - haven't heard a bad word against it yet.

Beaumont House - nice food, nice surroundings but god damn awful staff.

The Golf Links, Portmarnock. Lovely food, lovely settings and family run.

Oscar Taylors, Malahide. Smashing grub, great staff. Deadly pint and walk it all off on Malahide strand.

has the food improved? it was dreadful a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

You could try "The Brasserie" in Bewley's Ballsbridge.
    Used to be called O'Connells and was very good.

Its quite a traditional Irish restaurant and comfortable and easy to chat in.
    Staff are good and quality of produce and cooking likewise.

Another place is Town Bar+Grill on Kildare street which is a slightly more modern Irish food based restaurant.

Prices are a bit higher but worth it, its very nice.
    Its a comfortable small enough restaurant in a basement so talking is easy as there is to my memory little or no music.

Was there with the parents and the light was low which made it hard for my Mam to read the menu. The only small problem with an otherwise really nice meal. Especially the fish, excellent.

has the food improved? it was dreadful a couple of years ago

Dunno, I'm not huge on pub grub - most is muck tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

My favourite restaurants are:

Elephant and catle - Temple bar - great chicken wings!
    Ashtons pub - Clonskeagh - Great carvery!
    TGI Fridays - Stephens green, Blackrock, Blanchardstown - Mix of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Piriz wrote: »
    any restaurant boats?:)

http://www.mvcillairne.com/

On the liffey opposite the new convention centre. Food is nice and its good craic.

Otherwise I'd recommend http://www.centralhoteldublin.com/exchequer_gastropub.php

I like the craic with the lads in the lounge tbh.

Should be there this evening before, during & after the Dublin game :D

Btw, when they get to know your face - last order's can drag on, and on, and on ;)

Hoping not to hijack OP.

Mak, didn't make it in for my pint tonight. Busy, busy. But must catch up with you in there. I'm knocking around Belmayne at mo so it's handy. Leonard's Corner is already missing my custom:D.

Haven't ventured lounge yet...must do.

Back on topic, where'd you go OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

I say restaurant ten-fourteen in Clontarf also , I went there once a few weeks ago and it was scrumptious .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I have to say, I do love the food in the Beaumont house. I grew up just up the road from it so we'd eat there on the odd Sunday. They do the best cabbage ever! Always got a decent veggie option too. I agree about Carew though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

The_Joker. wrote: »
    I say restaurant ten-fourteen in Clontarf also , I went there once a few weeks ago and it was scrumptious .

Sorry to reopen the thread, but does anyone know if ten-fourteen is still open?
    The phone no. appears to be disconnected.

Edit:
    drove past it on Sat, appeared to be open. Rang it today & phone is working now.
    Strange.

Advertisement