Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute begginner

Options
  • 22-08-2010 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

As the thread says, never even set foot in a bookies. Only began to get my head around how to read fractional odds last night (havent even tried to learn decimal odds)
    Two small questions:o
    If a bookies has a sign out front saying 'betpack . com' will I be able to use odds I saw on the Paddy Power site?
    What do I actually do in the shop? right now.. Ill just walk in and look clueless :o Do I go to the counter and just say what bet I wanna make?

help :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

You sound worse than me at the world cup!

First things fist: what sport do you wanna bet on?

Generally in PaddyPowers you get a "bet slip" and you can write your bet on it.

This can be as simple as:
    manchester to win
    1 euro X single bet

To as complicated as several bets that can equal several hundred euro.

I went in to a PaddyPowers' and asked a fella that was writing on a betting slip how to make a bet for england to win against the usa (in soccer/football), he explained it quickly.
    TBH the employees there seem a bit "rude" but they will help if you aren't sure. There's nothing like having a "sure bet*" and then needing to know if you wrote it out right. :P

*just don't bleeding waste money, make at the most 5 euro on a bet (at least for starters).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

You sound worse than me at the world cup!
    There's nothing like having a "sure bet*" and then needing to know if you wrote it out right. :P

That's extremely important, I lost €250 during the world cup because I worded the bet wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Right, so let's say I actually had the balls to walk into Bamburys today and bet on Chelsea putting at least 3 past Wigan.
    I checked PP online and it said Chelsea were 9/2 to do it, would I have been able to use PP odds in a shop that says its a member of betpack. com outside?
    And what would I have actually written on the slip?

edit: sorry, football, EPL would be my preferred choice to bet on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

dorgasm wrote: »
    That's extremely important, I lost €250 during the world cup because I worded the bet wrong.
    yea i sometime spell england G E .R .M. A .N. Y

Right, so let's say I actually had the balls to walk into Bamburys today and bet on Chelsea putting at least 3 past Wigan.
    I checked PP online and it said Chelsea were 9/2 to do it, would I have been able to use PP odds in a shop that says its a member of betpack. com outside?
    And what would I have actually written on the slip?

edit: sorry, football, EPL would be my preferred choice to bet on

Online and in shop odds are a bit different TBH. A few times the odds online say 10/3 and in the shop it's a lot less (updating sites and whatnot).

I don't really understand you; you mean you want to say that Chelsea gets at least 3 goals?

• Advertisement

I don't really understand you; you mean you want to say that Chelsea gets at least 3 goals?

Wanted to, the opportunity has passed. But yes, had I made that bet, what should I have written on the slip?

Wanted to, the opportunity has passed. But yes, had I made that bet, what should I have written on the slip?

Well I'd imagine it to be "x team score Y goals or more".

If you mean for a team to beat them by a certain amount "x team to win by Y goals". Where Y is the number of goals they'll win by.

TBH anything you're unsure of always ask at the counter with "just so i get it right: what I have here means: x/y/z?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Silence.

Chelsea to score three or more goals @ 9/2.

Stake: 5 Euro.

Silence. wrote: »
    Chelsea to score three or more goals @ 9/2.

Stake: 5 Euro.

Are you sure you need to put the odds?
    I never did...
    I'm guessing this is something that you make at the time of the bet, incase the odds go down and you'll win less money?

Are you sure you need to put the odds?
    I never did...
    I'm guessing this is something that you make at the time of the bet, incase the odds go down and you'll win less money?

You don't need to, but it helps avoid any problems. The person taking your bet would tell you the odds are wrong and give you the current price, instead of finding out afterwards and winning less than you had hoped.

• Advertisement

Silence. wrote: »
    You don't need to, but it helps avoid any problems. The person taking your bet would tell you the odds are wrong and give you the current price, instead of finding out afterwards and winning less than you had hoped.

Really?! You have to be joking! So if the odds are lowered before I pay for the bet, the bookies have to tell me?

I know that sounds like sarcasm but I'm 100% serious.

Really?! You have to be joking! So if the odds are lowered before I pay for the bet, the bookies have to tell me?

I know that sounds like sarcasm but I'm 100% serious.

No, they don't have to, but it's often happened to me.

For example, when I bet in a bookies, I get my odds online the night before, and, by the time I get to the bookies the next day, the odds have often changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Always mark the odds when betting on football.

And for OP, you won't be able to use PP odds in Banbury. Different companies. Woud be like going into to River Island and giving the cashier a tenner for jeans because that's how much jeans are in Penneys

So when in the shop, can I write down odds I take off the internet the night before? or do Iv to wait for the lil tv yokes to update the odds?

And, can I use Paddy Power odds in a shop that has betpack . com written on the windows? ..still have to get an answer to that :)

Made my first few bets the other day.. lost them all. Fulham almost had me in tears and Villa just make me sick:)

So when in the shop, can I write down odds I take off the internet the night before? or do Iv to wait for the lil tv yokes to update the odds?

And, can I use Paddy Power odds in a shop that has betpack . com written on the windows? ..still have to get an answer to that :)

Made my first few bets the other day.. lost them all. Fulham almost had me in tears and Villa just make me sick:)

Yeah, it's a good idea to go a while before the race/game though. Basically as I got told by folks here, you get the best odds. So if on the site it says 2/1 and then the odds go up to 10/1, you get the odds at 10/1, but if it starts at 10/1 and it goes down to 2/1, if you wrote "X to win (or whatever the bet) at 10/1 odds" and it goes down to 2/1 odds, you still get the 10/1 odds.

As for your second question... ASK!:D
    I don't know the answer but just ask at the counter, you waste about... 6 seconds asking and getting a reply.

As for the third one... keep a lookout for what a lot of people are backing and see if it's worth a risk, money wise. For example "X to win" at "2/1" odds isn't very good (IMO). But something like the same amount of backings for "10/1" is a good deal.

Please be careful though. Usually if I make a bet on a horse, I'll do 3/4 horses and only if they have good odds so that at least if one wins, it covers my loses. So if I make 4 bets at 2 euro each, each bet should win at least 6 euro so if one wins, I'm still breaking even. Of course, it can be very rare to get bets that people are making and backing continously, hence me gambling once per... month if I'm lucky :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

For example "X to win" at "2/1" odds isn't very good (IMO). But something like the same amount of backings for "10/1" is a good deal.

Can't say I'd agree with that. Don't dismiss anything just because it's "only" 2/1 when there's an option of 10/1.

Example would be last night's City v Liverpool game. If you had backed City at 2/1 this was a good value bet. Backing Barry to score first and 3-0 scoreline at 10/1 would obviously win you more but the first bet would be better as the true chance of City winnning would be less than one in three but the true chance of the scorer/correct score combo would be considerably more than 10/1.

BTW, hthese weren;t the true odds, just first thing that popped into my head.

Collie D wrote: »
    Can't say I'd agree with that. Don't dismiss anything just because it's "only" 2/1 when there's an option of 10/1.

Example would be last night's City v Liverpool game. If you had backed City at 2/1 this was a good value bet. Backing Barry to score first and 3-0 scoreline at 10/1 would obviously win you more but the first bet would be better as the true chance of City winnning would be less than one in three but the true chance of the scorer/correct score combo would be considerably more than 10/1.

BTW, hthese weren;t the true odds, just first thing that popped into my head.

No I do agree with you, hence I just put "IMO (in my opinion). I meant that's what I would do. But if you're sure of yourself, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Just bet online ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Isotonic

no cant use betpack in ,different companies.

Look for value i.e. where you think a price is bigger than it should be.

Ask at counter to clarify any price you have avoid any arguements after.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Betpack is a company set up by a number of small bookmaker chains. They have partnered to provide a online betting platform for their customers. The creation of this company was to compete with the big players such as paddypower ladbrokes and boylesports. Each of these companies will have either people employed to create odds for events or they will outsource it. The odds usually varies from shop to shop.

When a shop has a sigh saying betpack, it means that they have a stake in the betpack group and that you can deposit or withdraw funds to your betpack account in that shop.

If you look at the odds on the betpack website, then you can go and compare with the prices paddypower have on their website, they may be the same but they will tend to fluxuate at diffrent times.

Generally there will be very little in dirrence between the prices available from both companies

H= Home Team
    D= Draw
    A= Away Team

4/1 is basically saying for every €1 you put on, if you selection wins you will win €4
    2/7 is basically saying for every €7 you put on, if you selection wins you will win €2

Below you will see the comparision between Paddypower and Betpack for some soccer games.

PP Chelsea v Newcastle H 2/7 D 4/1 A 9/1

BP Chelsea vs Newcastle H 2/7 D 4/1 A 8/1

PP Aston Villa v Blackburn H 17/20 D 12/5 A 3/1

BP Aston Villa vs Blackburn H 10/11 D 12/5 A 11/4

I hope this helps.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement