Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think that gay marriage would get passed in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Min wrote: »
    Reading this thread there isn't much sense in gay marriage.
    It is not about sense, it is about equality. I personally believe that you could give gays all and every rights and entitlements that matter without calling formal unions between them marriage. But by denying them that label you are enabling the prejudice to persist that their union is a lesser one even though I see no benefit to society in the insistence that that distinction be made.

If I may to turn the tables on your assertion about sense: can you tell me the sense in denying gay marriage? Surely the onus is on you to justify why rights should be denied to people and not on those who feel they should get them by default to provide supporting arguments?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Plebs wrote: »
    You don't know what I believe in. You're trying to stereotype me so you can regurgitate your stock thoughts. Please don't stereotype me or try to tell me what I do or don't believe in.

If you're not a christian then just say so. If you are a christian then you should believe that each of the things that I listed happened. If you call yourself a Christian but don't believe that any of those things happened then I'm not quite sure what your definition of a christian is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

You don't know what I believe in.

I know this wasn't addressed at me, but you said this:
    Opinions that you find "disgusting" are nothing compared to the physical act of sodomy: an affliction that is rampant across the western world. Women as well as men.

I've never met one person who refers to gay sex as "an affliction" who wasn't religious. It's a stereotype because it's true.

eightyfish wrote: »
    I know this wasn't addressed at me, but you said this:

I've never met one person who refers to gay sex as "an affliction" who wasn't religious. It's a stereotype because it's true.

He also said this:
    While that little side-show transfixes those unlucky enough to have been sucked in, the rest of us occupy the real world and go about our lives in a meaningful, moral and Godly fashion.

He clearly believes in a god but it doesn't appear to be the christian one because he keeps telling me I'm trying to stereotype him by listing some of the more appalling and outlandish beliefs from christianity

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

You guys are wishful thinkers.

A Gay marriage bill put to a referendum would get slammed 70-30 against.

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    He clearly believes in a god but it doesn't appear to be the christian one because he keeps telling me I'm trying to stereotype him by listing some of the more appalling and outlandish beliefs from christianity

I wasn't following the thread from the beginning, cheers.

Why is is that every time someone has a problem with gay marriage they are always religious? Then they claim that their opinion is based only on concern for child welfare and absolutely nothing to do with their holy book which says homosexuality is an abomination?
    A Gay marriage bill put to a referendum would get slammed 70-30 against.

In Dublin I think it'd pass by 70%, but beyond the pale (and I know this is stereotyping) you might be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

If you're not a christian then just say so. If you are a christian then you should believe that each of the things that I listed happened. If you call yourself a Christian but don't believe that any of those things happened then I'm not quite sure what your definition of a christian is

If you can't debate an issue without resorting to your smug tactics of poking fun at religious people (quite a serious hobby of yours by all accounts), that's a problem you're just going to have to deal with. Just don't expect anybody to want to engage with you when you show no respect or courtesy. Maybe you'd feel better discussing your anti-religious views amongst the group-think on the atheist forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I wasn't following the thread from the beginning, cheers.

Why is is that every time someone has a problem with gay marriage they are always religious? Then they claim that their opinion is based only on concern for child welfare and absolutely nothing to do with their holy book which says homosexuality is an abomination?

It's really tiresome.

Then they claim that their opinion is based only on concern for child welfare and absolutely nothing to do with their holy book which says homosexuality is an abomination?

It was Sam Vimes who brought the bible into the discussion. My religious convictions are of no business to him or to you. But if getting distracted from the kernel of the debate is a tactic you feel necessary to play, maybe we're all just wasting our time here.

but beyond the pale (and I know this is stereotyping) you might be right.

Ah yes, a liberal breaking their own rules.

• Advertisement

It was Sam Vimes who brought the bible into the discussion. My religious convictions are of no business to him or to you. But if getting distracted from the kernel of the debate is a tactic you feel necessary to play, maybe we're all just wasting our time here.

My point still stands.

If you can't debate an issue without resorting to your smug tactics of poking fun at religious people (quite a serious hobby of yours by all accounts), that's a problem you're just going to have to deal with. Just don't expect anybody to want to engage with you when you show no respect or courtesy. Maybe you'd feel better discussing your anti-religious views amongst the group-think on the atheist forum?

As eightyfish says, whenever someone has a problem with gay marriage they always seem to be religious. I'm sure there are exceptions but they make up the bulk of the objectors. And when someone's opinion on an issue is based on the commands of a supernatural being, the other somewhat appalling acts of this being as well as its existence is quite relevant to the discussion. Also, you were the one who brought up living in a "godly fashion", not me, and my goal was to show you that the views you were describing as "off in Never land" are no more outlandish than your own. It appears I failed.

And finally, I love when religious people dismiss atheists as groupthinkers. Firstly, it's not true in the slightest and secondly it wouldn't actually mean they were wrong in what they were saying even if it was true. Maybe you should pop over to the mathematics forum and post a thread saying 1+1=3 and when everyone responds saying "no 1+1=2" you can call them all groupthinkers regurgitating stock thoughts. Because it couldn't possibly be that religious people often make very similar points that are wrong for specific reasons and everyone they're talking to has spotted the flaws and explained them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You're the one who brought your religion into it when you mention gays should live Godly lives. Don't throw your toys out of the pram when someone highlights the absurdities and utter stupidity of what you believe.

Ah yes, a liberal breaking their own rules.

A liberal? Don't give out about people generalising and stereotyping you and then start throwing labels around yourself.

Most of the world believes in a Higher Being. Belief in God is not uncommon - surprise, surprise. (although maybe if you spend just a little too much time in the company of virtual atheists, I can see how you'd think otherwise...) You can't stereotype the whole world now can you?

I'm quite prepared to declare my religion if it's of interest to people. (I don't hide my religion from public view). But the way this discussion is going and the disrespectful tone, it's of no relevance. Thankfully the real decision-making goes on far from this website and by educated people who work in environments where the kind of stuff that Sam Vimes comes out with would be a sackable offence. I certainly wouldn't like to have to drink my 11's and listen to this kind of ignorant stereotyping, smugness and hate.

Most of the world believes in a Higher Being. Belief in God is not uncommon - surprise, surprise. (although maybe if you spend just a little too much time in the company of virtual atheists, I can see how you'd think otherwise...) You can't stereotype the whole world now can you?

I'm quite prepared to declare my religion if it's of interest to people. (I don't hide it). But the way this discussion is going and the disrespectful tone, it's of no relevance. Thankfully the real decision-making goes on far from this website and by educated people who work in environments where the kind of stuff that Sam Vimes comes out with would be a sackable offence.

LOL, listing things from the bible is a sackable offence? :D

Priests better watch out so
    I certainly wouldn't like to have to drink my 11's and listen to this kind of ignorant stereotyping, smugness and hate.
    Indeed, such as this:
    Oh look, another dishonest homosexual rights activist.
    Using innocent children as pawns in a war against the State over equality is below the belt. Two men prancing around with their buggy in a public demonstration of "how far we've come as a society" is very sad. Not just for the parents, but for the child and the community who are left to accommodate these people as best they can. People who are on a mission to re-engineer society against the grain, by force if necessary, will be opposed at every stage.
    Gosh! Dictionaries aligning homosexual behaviours alongside sexual acts with animals. Whatever next. If anybody of mildly conservative opinion were to utter such a thing in the presence of a homosexual, "homophobe" shrills would be bandied about like there's no tomorrow.
    Opinions that you find "disgusting" are nothing compared to the physical act of sodomy: an affliction that is rampant across the western world. Women as well as men.
    If we're going to allow homosexual persons to "marry" under the banner of "equality", then it's hypocritical not to allow first cousins or sisters/brothers/mothers/fathers the right to marry.
    If a fully grown man can marry his best friend, I don't see why a 30 year-old man can't marry his 28 year-old sister.
    Surely they can facilitate the sexual gratification of each other by utilising modern technology? As a liberal, you wouldn't deny them that right? Sure if they did get pregnant, they could always go get an abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This argument can be argued without any reference to it, and indeed is best argued when people are bound to disagree with you from the get-go otherwise. There is no point starting off an argument from a point that people are bound to disagree with. Indeed, legislation ought to be based on something that people from differing groups in larger society can refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I certainly wouldn't like to have to drink my 11's and listen to this kind of ignorant stereotyping, smugness and hate.

you don't do a lot of talking at 11's, no?

Jakkass wrote: »
    This argument can be argued without any reference to it, and indeed is best argued. There is no point starting off an argument from a point that people are bound to disagree with. Indeed, legislation ought to be based on something that people from differing groups in larger society can refer to.

When arguing for something I prefer to give the actual reason why I have that opinion rather than trying to keep my actual reasons out of the discussion because I know people won't accept them and instead making side points that aren't actually what I base my opinion on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Malty_T wrote: »
    Jakkass wrote:
    There is good reason to suggest that children raised with both a mother and a father are better off than children that are raised in alternative family structures. I could cite study after study, but I doubt it would change your mind.
    Go on then but before you start, please make sure the study is relevant to the discussion at hand. Ensure it is comparing the performances of straight parents to gay ones. Please DO NOT include studies that merely outline what benefit having both a mother and fatherly role has on the upbringing of a child. Also any studies which investigate if these roles can filled by other people e.g Aunt, Uncle, Person of supposedly wrong sex etc. would be nice.

Also, may I ask, if we can demonstrate the case to you that the person who fills the mother or father roles is immaterial would you change your mind?
    Malty T - Such studies are also highly relevant when we are talking about family structures that exclude either male or female rolemodels.
    What? I'm afraid to say I don't follow. Can you elaborate a bit more on what point you are trying to make.:o

Apologies if you replied to this already, but I really didn't understand what you were saying.

• Advertisement

But the way this discussion is going and the disrespectful tone, it's of no relevance.

Are you serious? You're the one who described gay sex as an affliction, and compared homosexuality to incest, etc. I think the disrespectful tone was already set. And on top of that people born a certain way deserve to be respected because they had no choice in the matter. Religious beliefs deserve no such respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Jaysus its all God god god in here.

On a serious note one of my mates is gay he married (up north) earlier this year their the happiest couple I know. I hope it gets passed.....although all the well dressed, attractive men will be married to each other :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Apologies if you replied to this already, but I really didn't understand what you were saying.

I meant that studies about parental roles are crucially important when discussing this subject. So asking one not to cite them isn't a reasonable request.

Any key? - Same-sex marriage isn't legal in the UK either. What you are discussing is a Civil Partnership, which has been passed in the Republic, and has been in the UK since 2004.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Plebs banned for trolling / insulting other posters. Please report any posts which you find offensive. Anything I've missed please drop me a PM.

As an aside, I would hope that we are forward thinking enough to allow gay marriage in this country however I am unsure if this would be the majority view.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

I meant that studies about parental roles are crucially important when discussing this subject. So asking one not to cite them isn't a reasonable request.

Any key? - Same-sex marriage isn't legal in the UK either. What you are discussing is a Civil Partnership, which has been passed in the Republic, and has been in the UK since 2004.

Ah I see thank you Jakkass for enlightening me :) Either way I think gay marraige in Ireland should be legal. Its a disgrace in this day and age that people are being oppressed for the comfort of a few closed minded people. Live and let live, and the world would be a happier ploace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭OptimashPrime

LOL, listing things from the bible is a sackable offence? :D

Priests better watch out so

Indeed, such as this:

when you put them all together like this it makes for some awful reading, and i can only hope i never have to sit next to a Pleb like character at a dinner. he/she has said everything bar burn "the gays" at the stake

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

While "Civil Partnership" has been passed here in Ireland, it's worth noting that that UK version goes further with regard to Children. In a UK Civil Partnership, both parties assume the role of parents. As I understand with the Irish CP Bill this isn't the case.

I think gay marriage will be passed in Ireland, one day. While I support it, I don't think I'm in the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Particularly since the 1960s. Homosexual acts between humans certainly did not evolve to the extent that we have today. It is a cultural phenomenon.

I think you have to consider that when people are going to be imprisoned, beaten, killed or even just disowned or rejected from their society the likelihood of them actually practising or protesting their feelings decreases substantially..

Note to self: in future read all new posts before replying..

Vic_Mackey wrote: »
    While "Civil Partnership" has been passed here in Ireland, it's worth noting that that UK version goes further with regard to Children. In a UK Civil Partnership, both parties assume the role of parents. As I understand with the Irish CP Bill this isn't the case.

There's other differences as well. AFAIK the partnership can only be registered between two EU citizens with visa rights. In other words, if a couple want to be registered and one of them does not have an EU passport - the civil partnership will not allow the non-Irish partner a visa to stay in the country. If you're talking about an Irish and Brazilian person for example - if it was a straight couple they could marry and live in Ireland. If it was a gay couple they would have to move to the less backward UK in order to live.

If this is not the case I'd love to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

Eigthtyfish, you're correct! I wasn't aware of that until I looked it up just there. From what I could see of the UK act, it awarded more or less all the rights of full marriage, just under a different name. Seems we got Tesco Value Civil Partnership.

Advertisement