Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think that gay marriage would get passed in Ireland?

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dvpower wrote: »
    Bit early in the day to be drinking?

pfft, what time is first service? That wine blood won't drink itself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

skregs wrote: »
    The gays should be allowed to marry whatever woman they want.
    I can't wait for polygamy to come in so I can marry two 14 year old girls. And if gay marriage is legal, I can marry them to each other too

Given that 14 year olds are under the age of consent and consent is required for marriage, that might be a bit difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Stark wrote: »
    Given that 14 year olds are under the age of consent and consent is required for marriage, that might be a bit difficult.

for now it is, buddy, only for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Stark wrote: »

but surely one thing leads to another as the alarmists would have you believe. next they'll be marrying robots!

skregs wrote: »
    for now it is, buddy, only for now

It was legal in the past. It's a good thing "tradtional marriage" has moved on, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Why do gays need to have marriage???

Why do STRAIGHTS need to have marriage???

Yes to equal rights for all for everything!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Why do STRAIGHTS need to have marriage???

Yes to equal rights for all for everything!!!!!!!!!!
    We prefer to be called "breeders", thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

we all know that there are gay animals, however do they parent the young of their species ?......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

aDeener wrote: »
    we all know that there are gay animals, however do they parent the young of their species ?......

Is this a trick question?

Anthropology and Biology forums are that way >>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1300 , http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1273

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Pace2008 wrote: »
    We prefer to be called "breeders", thank you very much.

Lol sorry I was trying to be all PC about it, breeders it is.

I'd like to say that, as a gay guy myself, I personally would not like to get married and have childern, even though i will be paying my taxes etc towards child support for the rest of my life and get nothing out of it myself, but thats me and that could change in the years to come, but I will support other gay men and women to marry and adopt childern or whatever they what to do, each to there own, same with a 'breeders' who cant have kids and there only option is to adopt etc.

Come on Ireland, move on with the rest of the western world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Yes.
    BBC: Two "gay" male penguins have hatched a chick and are now rearing it as its adoptive parents, says a German zoo.

The zoo, in Bremerhaven, northern Germany, says the adult males - Z and Vielpunkt - were given an egg which was rejected by its biological parents.

It says the couple are now happily rearing the chick, said to have reached four weeks old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Hopefully so. My friends brother and his partner would like to get married here in Ireland. I think its just a matter of time really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think people are being extremely nieve to believe gay marriage would get passed in present day Ireland...we only managed to get divorce legal in 2002!! for crying out load and abortions are still illegal.

The vast majority of the people who use boards are under the age of 35 and i don't even think you would get a vast majority of this group to vote for it, sadly. The vast majority of the population over 35 would be against it.

Gay Marriage in Ireland is a good 20 years off in my opinion.

I live in Cambridge, Massachussetts where gay marriage is legal. If i compare american friend's attitude to gay people and my friends from home's attitudes, its vastly different. I think i have only once seen a gay couple holding hands in Cork and then a few minutes later seeing them getting abuse outside hillbillies. While in Boston, you see gay couples in public regulary. Even with the more mature attitude on the subject in Massachussetts, the ruling is constantly being challenged.

Hazys wrote: »
    The vast majority of the people who use boards are under the age of 35 and i don't even think you would get a vast majority of this group to vote for it, sadly.

Don't agree with you there. If it was a boards vote it'd pass with flying (rainbow) colours. We're exactly the demographic that would pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

I think people are being extremely nieve to believe gay marriage would get passed in present day Ireland...we only managed to get divorce legal in 2002!! for crying out load and abortions are still illegal.

This. Ireland is quite far behind compared to other European countries in terms of laws, both for good (you don't have too many laws, compared to Sweden for example) and bad (like the post I quoted, and the blasphemy law, what the F_CK.).

With time (~30 years perhaps) I think that gay marriage will be legalized here in Ireland, but the population isn't ready yet. I mean, jesus, Catholisism is shoved down children's throats in many families (and schools) from the day they are born, they are taught to hate others (i.e. homosexuals etc), so you have a long way to go.

From speaking with Irish people, I've come to learn that the "Religion" subject in school is really "Catholisism". There's nothing about the other religions in there. Sure, this is a Catholic country, so it would make sense, but what about all the people (the sane ones) who want their children to be taught sane values (no religious superstition), they don't have much choice other than to go to private schools (which they probably can't afford).

Ehh, a bit off topic. [/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I dont think it would get passed, but I think it should.

This is the 21st century people. Ireland is still stuck in the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I dont think it would get passed, but I think it should.

This is the 21st century people. Ireland is still stuck in the dark ages.

I agree but :eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    I agree but :eek::confused:
    Obviously this is not about religious marraige (which cannot be voted upon, it is a matter for a religion to decide whether or not to allow homosexual marriages. As catholicism is anti homosexuality I cannot ever see a situation where two men or two women get wed in a church)

This is about legal marriage - totally separate to religious marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

eightyfish wrote: »
    Don't agree with you there. If it was a boards vote it'd pass with flying (rainbow) colours. We're exactly the demographic that would pass it.

I agree it could pass if it was a boards.ie vote, but it would be closer to 55-45% in favour and by no means a overwhelming majority.

If it was an overwhelming majority view on boards.ie, we wouldnt have 30+ pages of argueing about pedofiles, religion and other such BS. There 30+ pages do not include the people on boards who disagree with it but choose not to post because they know it would make them look bad, but in a voting booth they would vote no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I still say it's only a matter of time before we see full marriage equality here in Ireland, it's the right thing and people will come around eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

hmmm....

/looks at username

Hmmmm....

/looks again

sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Obviously this is not about religious marraige (which cannot be voted upon, it is a matter for a religion to decide whether or not to allow homosexual marriages. As catholicism is anti homosexuality I cannot ever see a situation where two men or two women get wed in a church)

This is about legal marriage - totally separate to religious marriage.

many religious people think that they own the word marriage. Marriage was there before christianity and other major religions but yet they believe marriage is part of religion. Sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Links234 wrote: »
    I still say it's only a matter of time before we see full marriage equality here in Ireland, it's the right thing and people will come around eventually.

Agree with that alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Mathiasb wrote: »
    This. Ireland is quite far behind compared to other European countries in terms of laws, both for good (you don't have too many laws, compared to Sweden for example) and bad (like the post I quoted, and the blasphemy law, what the F_CK.).

With time (~30 years perhaps) I think that gay marriage will be legalized here in Ireland, but the population isn't ready yet. I mean, jesus, Catholisism is shoved down children's throats in many families (and schools) from the day they are born, they are taught to hate others (i.e. homosexuals etc), so you have a long way to go.

From speaking with Irish people, I've come to learn that the "Religion" subject in school is really "Catholisism". There's nothing about the other religions in there. Sure, this is a Catholic country, so it would make sense, but what about all the people (the sane ones) who want their children to be taught sane values (no religious superstition), they don't have much choice other than to go to private schools (which they probably can't afford).

Ehh, a bit off topic. [/rant]

where are you going with this shite talk? absolute nonsense

I agree it could pass if it was a boards.ie vote, but it would be closer to 55-45% in favour and by no means a overwhelming majority.

If it was an overwhelming majority view on boards.ie, we wouldnt have 30+ pages of argueing about pedofiles, religion and other such BS. There 30+ pages do not include the people on boards who disagree with it but choose not to post because they know it would make them look bad, but in a voting booth they would vote no.

Well let's find out. I've started a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

where are you going with this shite talk? absolute nonsense

?

Advertisement