Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think that gay marriage would get passed in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Partnership's yes.

Marraige no; the whole Catholic Country nonsense will prevent marraiges from going through because a group of very religous Catholics from all over Ireland will be lobbying some TD's to death and the TD can't tell them to shut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Exactly what I mean there, since kids have a difficult enough time growing up in school then why add more criticsm to that with yet another reason to get made fun of.

Why would you let kids who should be taught by their parents not to go
    picking on others stop adults from marrying? I believe that is letting them
    win (even though this isn't a game, it's serious). Kids will pick on someone because
    of their hair colour, their shoes etc... Well, not all kids ;) This argument
    doesn't stop kids who are themselves gay/lesbian/transgender/passionate-
    about-ballet/etc... :p from being what tho are, in fact it leads to serious
    psychological issues keeping it in in many cases!

I think this is one of those issues where a little bravery & faith in humanity
    is more important than normal, soon even hateful kids will see all these
    families as normal as pie & get back to picking on the red haired kid so lets
    get cracking :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Jakkass wrote: »
    I give no guarantee, that you will "like" my opinion. If it is more than a dislike, and if you feel I am violating the charter of AH. Click the report post button beside my avatar.

wow that's defensive!

if you really want what is best for children, then you should be fully behind gay marriage and adoption, because as we all know by now research shows two gay parents are better than a single straight one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Speaking as a child of a gay mother, I really do hope it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

39.39% against. That's 39.39% too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MrSir wrote: »

I voted no, but not because im against it, its because in all likelyhood it wont get passed, poll should have more options tbh

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Exactly what I mean there, since kids have a difficult enough time growing up in school then why add more criticsm to that with yet another reason to get made fun of.

:rolleyes:
    I'd post a long reasoned argument, but I've done it so many times that's all I can say really

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

If there was vote I would vote yes. I don't think we can claim to live in a society where everyone is equal if everybody doesn't have equal rights. I voted no in the poll as none of our TD's have the balls to try and get something like this passed.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It will happen sooner or later.

The sooner the backward and thick ignorant Joe Duffy generation die off the better.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Marriage is between a Man and a Woman who will start a family.
    I guess any infertile men or women can expect to have their marriage cancelled?
    That's just the way it is.
    We know how it is. We're talking about how we would like it to be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

I voted yes, most young people in Ireland are very liberal and would vote overwhelmingly in favour. There would be a huge campaign based around facebook, youtube etc to get people who might rarely vote to get out and ensure it was passed. I think the problem wouldnt be so much getting a Yes vote but getting the politicians to give us the chance to catch up with countries like Spain and Belgium who have legislate for marriage equality (which is what it should be called rather than gay marriage).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

unknown13 wrote: »
    Partnership's yes.

Marraige no; the whole Catholic Country nonsense will prevent marraiges from going through because a group of very religous Catholics from all over Ireland will be lobbying some TD's to death and the TD can't tell them to shut it.

The same way "Catholic" Spain, Portugal, Argentina and Belgium will never have same-sex marriage?

Oh, wait.

For those interested, a series of polls have shown public support for same-sex marriage in Ireland to be around the 58-62% mark. Of course, support for it is highest among the younger age groups (including a majority of under-50s in favour of adoption) - those least likely to vote. :(

That said, I don't think something like this should go to a referendum - tyranny of the majority and all that. It should only go to a referendum if the Supreme Court says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Sadly, I agree that it will be a long time before full marriage rights are given to the LGBT community here. Ireland is far too conservative a country generally for it to get passed. And as someone else already posted, it's not just the older generation either.

I'd love to see it brought in. Civil partnership, although it is a step in the right direction, and I do welcome its introduction, has just legislated for inequality. It categorically marks unions between same sex couples as being less than those between opposite sex couples.

I absolutely believe the argument against gay adoption that the kids could be bullied is ridiculous. The ignorance of others is no reason to block people that could be amazing parents from adopting. There is also the serious issue surrounding those couples where one partner is the biological parent, while the other has no legal rights to the child at all. This has caused many problems in cases of the death of the biological parent. Arguing that being raised by a mother and a father is best for children, doesn't help deal with the real issues that exist in situations where this is not the case. There needs to be a legal basis on which these issues can be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

MrSir wrote: »

As said twice already, just because someone thinks it won't pass doesn't mean they are against it. I also voted that I didn't think it would pass and I'm extremely for gay marriage. I think banning gays from marrying is pure discrimination against a minority thanks to the Catholic Church that wrote our constitution.

Anyway, it doesn't matter either what polls say in this country about the percentage for or against gay marriage. If a referendum ever did take place you'd quickly find priests and religious idiots out on the street convincing people that gay marriage is wrong. But not only that, they'd concentrate on the "what next...". The debate would no longer be about gay marriage, it would be about gay adoption and things like that. Things in no way linked to the referendum, but things that they know there would be more opposition towards. You'd see signs like "A vote for gay marriage is a vote for gay adoption"*. You'd also get the inevitable comparison between gay marriage and bestiality.

Too many people would be willing vote to discriminate against a minority because of what the Church says, despite not being willing to get up on a Sunday morning to go to mass.

*I'm for gay adoption too, but my point was that those against gay marriage would try to create a link to something more objectionable.

Anyway, if I was leading the Government I'd prepare the civil partnership bill, call a referendum and say "if you don't vote for the referendum this bill will be passed anyway". It would take some of the fire out of the oppositions argument I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Mark200 wrote: »
    Too many people would be willing vote to discriminate against a minority because of what the Church says, despite not being willing to get up on a Sunday morning to go to mass.

To be honest, I think the numbers who seriously listen to the Catholic church (after all it has done) are a small minority themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

David Norris President of Ireland.
    What a refreshing change and hopefully get this motion passed

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

nommm wrote: »
    If there was vote I would vote yes. I don't think we can claim to live in a society where everyone is equal if everybody doesn't have equal rights. I voted no in the poll as none of our TD's have the balls to try and get something like this passed.:rolleyes:

No - The CONSERVATIVEs in FF/FG don't want it, don't tar all our TDs as the same

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

If marriage is only in the religious sense
    then can non-religious straight couples have a civil union?

There still usually regarded as married even if its a non-church thing and they have no intention to have children.
    That's not really fair... I'm all for equality here

As for kids. Well if marriage was encouraged then it would become more normal to kids. We could explain at a young age in schools that some people love people of the same gender, End of story.

right now, parents always wait till kids are older, they think its "too confusing" to explain homosexuality. In my opinion its more confusing to tell a kid only men and women can be together, Then suddenly expect them to accept same sex couples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Sulmac wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the numbers who seriously listen to the Catholic church (after all it has done) are a small minority themselves.

Hopefully, but I think you only need to look back to the Divorce Referendum in 1995, where 49.72% of votes were against legalising divorce, to see the impact the church can have.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mark200 wrote: »
    Hopefully, but I think you only need to look back to the Divorce Referendum in 1995, where 49.72% of votes were against legalising divorce, to see the impact the church can have.

True, but a lot has changed in Ireland over the past 15 years. Like the church losing pretty much every shred of credibility they once had with the populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

krudler wrote: »
    I voted no, but not because im against it, its because in all likelyhood it wont get passed, poll should have more options tbh
    Oh yeah I missunderstood what the poll actually meant so no offence intended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Itd be great if 2 consenting adults could do whatever makes them happy but in reality the small minded yet most vocal will always find something to seethe about,even though it has absolutely NO bearing or effect on their lives, other people wanting to be happy, bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

I personally would'nt mind gay's gettin married through civil ceremonies. It's another story if they wanna get married in a church

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If it has been posted already I apologise, haven't read the thread! If anyone disagrees with what this man says, you're an idiot.

I used to think it would pass here, now I'm not so sure. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What is the question?

Are you asking for people to guess on how a referendum would go, or for how they will vote themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭OptimashPrime

thats a really tough one to guess. im fully for it myself. we've got one of the youngest populations in Europe (i think) so with the proper canvasing i think it could pass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It will happen sooner or later.

The sooner the backward and thick ignorant Joe Duffy generation die off the better.

I think we're on the brink of a pretty interesting thing happening in Irish politics. I mean, it seems to me like there's a bigger, clearer political and cultural gulf between two generations now than ever before. I don't think it's just an age difference thing, either, I think there's a fundamental difference in values between the two generations, and eventually those people are going to start filtering into roles where they can actually do something about it.

I think there's a real sense that we're all just waiting for The Old Guard entrenched in the political system to clear off one way or the other so we can start getting something done. I mean, I've given up on the current shower in all corners of the ring at the minute, they've made it perfectly clear that they can't be bothered trying to represent me or mine, and I think a lot of other people have too. It's not that we stopped engaging with the political machine, it just stopped engaging with us.

I think the next decade - maybe even sooner - is going to bring some big huge shifts in legislation about stuff like this. Perhaps even produce a system that actually reflects something of the reality of the people living in this country, rather than just a convenient political fantasy world.

Maybe I'm just a dreamer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Jill as long as the hip-generation are willing to make companies money &
    fund banks no matter what they do then anything is possible.

One could have said what you said after the 60's, then there was Margaret
    Thatcher & Ronald Reagan so I don't think we should spend time waiting for
    these ƒuckers to die off, fight them now with evidence & common sense!:cool:

I think facebook organizations and the like spreading the message that the
    issue we're discussing goes against fundamental human rights is one way to fight it.

A nice quote always sums it up ;):

“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot uneducate
    the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who
    feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore.
    We have seen the future, and the future is ours.”
    -Ceasar Chavez

Advertisement