Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think that gay marriage would get passed in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

cooltown wrote: »
    Do you think gay marriage would get passed in Ireland?
    I think that many of the posters here would have no problem with it but when I think of the older generation. I sadly can say I don't think it would!

I personally would like it to happen, however, I don't think it will , at least not for another 20-30 years. I just can't see it happening, when the catholic church have a higher say than we the actual individuals of this country do.

It's pretty sad like, two people not being allowed to commit to each other because a "higher source" disapproves with it :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Someone close this fcukin thread. This topic has been done to ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The government had the civil partnership bill for same sex couples and co-habiting couples because they knew gay marriage would not be passed, the result would be similar to that of California where the electorate voted against it.

I am against it, it is not discrimination, it is not progression. It is just a twisted view of marriage which had always being between a man and a woman.

It is just some people want to feel discriminated against, when marriage as I said had always being a male/female union.

All this inequality stuff is just a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Cuddlytroll

I studied this stuff a bit in family law, and it's amazing the technicalities which people draw upon themselves. There are reams of cases, all tying themselves in socio-legal knots which get more and more abstract and inane as you go along, particularly with regards to things like the concept of gender. It's really amazing how much easier it would be, for everyone everywhere, if people just dropped this tiresome 'one man and one woman' crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Min wrote: »
    It is just some people want to feel discriminated against, when marriage as I said had always being a male/female union.

No shít sherlock.

Without change, there is no progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think most people have a problem with homosexuals being able to adopt. I did myself up until starting a thread here about it and reading the responses

I think the opposition to gay marriage would focus on gay adoption and get people to vote against it.

About 10 years after most other countries fully recognise gay marriage the Irish would prob vote yes to it. Not now though

No shít sherlock.

Without change, there is no progression.

Changing to allow gay marriage is not necessarily progression.

I'm sure many people, a long time ago, thought the same about allowing black people to marry white people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭OptimashPrime

what is it then, regression ?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

Jesus had two dads and he turned out alright

Really really good! May I use that in my CV please?? What a giggle:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It is just some people want to feel discriminated against

excuse me, but WHAT?
    can you back that ludicrous statement up at all?

People want to feel discriminated against? sure, that's all people want. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm sure many people, a long time ago, thought the same about allowing black people to marry white people.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~weezil0/gay_marriage_toon_sml.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

The discrimination against gay people and other minorities all stems from the inability of some people to place themselves in someone elses shoes. I thought this was an inate ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm pretty sure the only way gay marriage threatens the sanctity of "traditional" marriage is when all the herniatingly closeted fundamentalists finally come to terms with the fact that they're free to divorce their dead-eyed Stepford Wives and marry the rent boys of their dreams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I really hope that in twenty years time, we all look back on this debate in a similar way that people look on the fact that inter-racial marriages was taboo previously. It should be something that will be so normal, that it will sound insane that it was ever even questioned. In my little idealistic world anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭SayWhaaat

The government had the civil partnership bill for same sex couples and co-habiting couples because they knew gay marriage would not be passed, the result would be similar to that of California where the electorate voted against it.

I am against it, it is not discrimination, it is not progression. It is just a twisted view of marriage which had always being between a man and a woman.

All this inequality stuff is just a load of rubbish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

This man has it here!, being discriminated against is actually one of the gay person's favorite passtimes. It's not like we have lives to live or people to love we just love the f*cking drama! :rolleyes:

Many years ago allowing divorce would have been a "twisted" view of marriage ;)

Come out of your conservative box, it's lovely out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    adoption, surrogacy, fostering, guardianship, turkey basters etc

All of which include a 3rd party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I dont agree with the concept of gay marriage.It is a thing between a hetrosexual couple only.

I am all in favour of civil unions and equal rights but gay marriage is a stupid concept to ask for..

Marriage for hetrosexuals only,look it up.It has no room for gays and absolutely no connection to gay unions.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    I dont agree with the concept of gay marriage.It is a thing between a hetrosexual couple only.

I am all in favour of civil unions and equal rights but gay marriage is a stupid concept to ask for..

Marriage for hetrosexuals only,look it up.It has no room for gays and absolutely no connection to gay unions.

Stating what something IS doesn't really go anywhere in arguing why it shouldn't change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Why do gays need to have marriage???

Imagine if you will a Lesbian couple saying "I want a penis.."

" But your lesbians and lesbians dont need a penis"

" We should be entitled to a penis,every hetrosexual couple has a penis so we should have one."

"But you dont need to have a penis to make your love complete, you have the same rights as any other couple,gay or straight."

"So you will not let us have a penis because we are Lesbians??"

" You only want a penis because everyone else has one even though you have no use for one and it makes you no more or less a couple"

If you substitute the word marriage for the word penis you will see my point.It is just about proving a point for the gay community and this constant crying for "marriage" turns a lot of people against the whole issue of equal rights.

Equal rights for gays,marriage for hetrosexuals

• Advertisement

" We should be entitled to a penis,every hetrosexual couple has a penis so we should have one."

"But you dont need to have a penis to make your love complete, you have the same rights as any other couple,gay or straight."

" You only want a penis because everyone else has one even though you have no use for one and it makes you no more or less a couple"

If you substitute the word marriage for the word penis you will see my point.It is just about proving a point for the gay community and this constant crying for "marriage" turns a lot of people against the whole issue of equal rights.

This is probably the most retarded post I've ever read, and I've been in the christianity forum!

If marriage is for heterosexual couples only, what about a gay man and a gay woman marrying each other? Is that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If you substitute the word marriage for the word penis you will see my point.

You can substitute the word "penis" for "World Trade Centre", it doesn't prove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

But marriage isn't a penis, it's a partnership between two people, not something one person in that partnership possesses. what an utter fail of a comparison!

we should have marriage equality for all, and if that actually turns people against the issue of equal rights as you say then fine! we don't need allies who don't want to see real equality. I think marriage equality is important not just for gay and lesbian couples, but also transgender people who can frequently fall through the cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think most people have a problem with homosexuals being able to adopt. I did myself up until starting a thread here about it and reading the responses

I think the opposition to gay marriage would focus on gay adoption and get people to vote against it.

There's some great crying children posters from Lisbon that could be reused.

Still no strong arguments on why it should be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That's the most brilliant post I've ever seen!

(if you substitute the word 'idiotic' for the word 'brilliant' you will see my point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I doubt there's enough memory on Boards.ie's server for the amount of rolleyes this post warrants.

Stronger than why it shouldn't

One word.

Equality.

Look it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

you have to be trolling
    nobody would use that seriously thinking it's a legitimate argument

a penis doesn't give you equal rights
    marriage does

Advertisement