Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 to play down under

Options
  • 22-08-2010 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

http://www.u2.com/news/title/u2-360deg-to-end-year-down-under

Australia & New Zealand Tour Dates 2010

November 25 Auckland, NZ Mt. Smart Stadium
    December 01 Melbourne, AU Etihad Stadium
    December 08 Brisbane, AU Suncorp Stadium
    December 13 Sydney, AU ANZ Stadium
    December 18 Perth, AU Subiaco Oval

I'd be certain there will be more when these sell out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Deffo more gigs as there is a ~ week between every date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

hussey wrote: »
    Australia & New Zealand Tour Dates 2009

I know Oz can be a bit backward but jeez!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

How bloody far do you have to travel to get away from that f*cking idiot Bono? I thought I was safe - at least they're not coming to wellington...thats something I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Ive seen the tribute act that plays Hyde Park on Paddys Day 2 in a row now. Free and you arent stroking "the ego" with cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

not sure they'll be playing that much more down there, especially between those dates. The logistics in getting those stages down there is unreal, I wouldn't be surprised if they only had one down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    How bloody far do you have to travel to get away from that f*cking idiot Bono? I thought I was safe - at least they're not coming to wellington...thats something I suppose

Feckers are causing havoc with the Roar v Glory A-League fixture cause they want to use Suncorp so Roar have to go somewhere else.

That prick Bono and his bunch of has beens just won't piss off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont understand this hatred for all things U2. Christ you would swear us Irish are begruders.......oh wait!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jank wrote: »
    I dont understand this hatred for all things U2. Christ you would swear us Irish are begruders.......oh wait!:rolleyes:

+1

Sure wasn't it Gerry Ryan ....God bless his soul, used to say that Irish are awful begrudger's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Feckers are causing havoc with the Roar v Glory A-League fixture cause they want to use Suncorp so Roar have to go somewhere else.

That prick Bono and his bunch of has beens just won't piss off.

I bet that U2 can pull a far greater crowd to Suncorp than the bleedin Roar and for several nights in a row if feasible. does sound like a bit of begrudgery to me.

I dont think its as much as a U2 want to use Suncorp, as Suncorp will do anything to have them there, even if it involves paying off the Roar as regular tenants to go elsewhere for a game.

Im no big U2 fan but it is literally going to be one of the most daring shows ever and it will be a while again, especially with the post GFC and current world economic woes, if at all ever, it gets topped.

Can we have a bit of pride, or failing that, not begrudge, Irelands most successful people to play a gig for their many fans in Australia .... .. .

And I don't understand all this mis-placed pride in a band because of where they come from...the way I see it, the only positive thing U2 have going for them is the fact they are Irish - Musically, I can't stand them and that wouldn't change whether they came from Dublin or Dubai - I don't generally judge a band on where they come from -

You have to love the Irish, as soon as you don't like anything mainstream Irish and the begrudgery card is thrown out...so what call all the other people in the world who hate U2 and think Bono is a f*cking idiot? Can't play the Irish Bregrudger card there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I personally think Bono is a twat.

But as regards music, Joshua tree, Achtung Baby & How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb are some of the best albums in my collection.

Love or loathe them, they have some amazing songs and put on a cracking show.

MOD Can we please, please let this thread be civil, enough of the "You hate u2, you must be a begrudging Irish Vs No, you are the begrudger for not allowing us to not like U2"

Thanks

And I don't understand all this mis-placed pride in a band because of where they come from...the way I see it, the only positive thing U2 have going for them is the fact they are Irish - Musically, I can't stand them and that wouldn't change whether they came from Dublin or Dubai - I don't generally judge a band on where they come from -

You have to love the Irish, as soon as you don't like anything mainstream Irish and the begrudgery card is thrown out...so what call all the other people in the world who hate U2 and think Bono is a f*cking idiot? Can't play the Irish Bregrudger card there...

Most of the rest of the world don't really have a strong opinion on Bono and U2 (a few million Africans might be glad of their presence for obvious reasons). They either like them or they don't but I can guarantee you that they wont posting on Internet forums spouting off their hatred of them unlike many Irish people who find it almost a daily compulsion. U2 are like an itch we just love to collectively scratch!

Just do a search here on boards.ie for many of these threads. Hating U2 and Bono is almost "cool". That said I am not the type of person to have a circle jerk about them either.

I remember an incident when I was in Christchurch of all places. U2 were kicking off their 360 tour and were on the David Letterman show. I was watching it with my flatmates. One Turkish the other Japanese. Before you ask we were watching David Letterman and U2 happened to be on. I got asked a question that made me feel a little uncomfortable. Was I proud of them?

I was like 'em, eh... I don't know.....'

The other two looking at me confused told me that if they were from their country they would be very proud of them. They were very successful and have done very well from themselves so why not be proud of them. In fact the Japanese guy told me he wished they were Japanese! So why was I so uncomfortable?

It was then it hit me. I was your typical Irishman. Uncomfortable with other peoples success especially when they were of my own nationality. Better to keep your head down, say nothing, pretend your average and for god sake don't rock the boat. It was a big wake up call for me actually on a personal level in term of my own identity in the world. You can be dammed sure that if U2 were from Croatia or Poland you would not have the same hatred directed at them from their own country men as we do. Oh such an Irish thing to hate ourselves isn't it? We have been doing it for centuries so why stop now.

I am sure you of all people will understand the fact that when you go home for a visit you actually cant say how good this side of the world is because you are "boasting" "the big shot coming home" "show off" "bull $hiter" etc. You go home saying OZ or NZ is going "grand" and leave it at that in case you hurt someones feeling or sensibilities knowing deep down how much you love it and how lucky you really are. Life can be very good! But enough of that.

We Irish are very VERY insecure and lack self confidence collectively as a people. Why do we drink so much and sing all those oh so very sad songs about wars, emigration and years gone by. To make ourselves feel worse! And we love it!

I think Bono (who else eh :p) said it best when he said this.
    An American will look up at somebody living in a big house on a hill and say, "Someday, I'm going to be like him". An Irishman will look up at the big house and say, "Someday, I'm going to get that fecker!"

So yea, in essence it is the old Irish disease raising is ugly head in this forum. What surprised me is that its this forum not in a forum say like After Hours, these comments are expected there but in a forum dominated by ex-pat Irish who should be some of the best, brightest, most confident posters of boards.ie. To be honest I am disappointed and it makes me a little sad.

Most of the rest of the world don't really have a strong opinion on Bono and U2 ...

Ha - you lost me after this, I know of no other band that generates stronger, and divides opinion globally more than U2 (due to their size and success) and it has nothing to do with them being Irish

As for the rest of the post - Stereotype much? Not sure how you would know my feelings on life over here or how I relate that to people at home (you don't secretly know me do you?)

Just to be clear - I think U2 in one page or less conveys my feelings on U2 clearer than I ever could - I don't think its Irish bregrudgery or some Irish lack of self confidence syndrome...i think its far simpler than that - as musicians (and media personalities or whathaveyou) they do absolutely nothing for me except send a shrill down my back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Well I’m going to try and get tickets for the Melbourne show anyway last time I saw them was in Croke Park and it was brilliant. True Bono is a bit of a self-righteous cock at times but in fairness must front men of bands are and he’s going to be singing not giving long speeches. They put on an amazing show and I’m looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Living 2 minutes walk from the Suncorp, got a letter in the post about a pre-sale for local residents.

Of course, I'm going to be back at home on December 8th! Gonna miss Muse too a couple of days beforehand!

Typical! :rolleyes:

It's not begrudgery to think a band are overrated, past it and generally a load of shit. It seems to be the only defence U2 fans have for a band that a going through the motions and churning out rubbish since 1991.
    Vorsprung wrote: »
    Living 2 minutes walk from the Suncorp, got a letter in the post about a pre-sale for local residents.

Of course, I'm going to be back at home on December 8th! Gonna miss Muse too a couple of days beforehand!

Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Ha - you lost me after this, I know of no other band that generates stronger, and divides opinion globally more than U2 (due to their size and success) and it has nothing to do with them being Irish

As for the rest of the post - Stereotype much? Not sure how you would know my feelings on life over here or how I relate that to people at home (you don't secretly know me do you?)

LOl your hilarious. You accuse me of stereotyping but then pass your opinion as fact that U2 are the MOST divisive band in the world. Really..?:D

Anyway clearly your not much of a thinker of what it is to be Irish. Its not about waving tri-colours, drinking Guinness and singing rebel songs...
    Also I wasn't talking about you specifically, I was talking about the Irish attitude to themselves. Sorry to blow your bubble.

It's not begrudgery to think a band are overrated, past it and generally a load of shit. It seems to be the only defence U2 fans have for a band that a going through the motions and churning out rubbish since 1991.

Ah but see thats not what you said. You said they were pricks, you didnt say their music was $hite which is a totally different arugment.

Are they pricks because their music is $hite? Well thats a lame argument cause even a 3 year old could dismantle it.
    I may not like Celine Dion or Michael Buble's music but I wont be calling her a bitch or him a prick because of that.

Its a favourite pastime of ours to give out about U2. We did it with every other high profile Irish musican, dont see why it wont stop now. I really dont care for U2 at all but I just find all this pseudo-hatred of them to be nothing more than begrudery because if they were sitting at home doing nothing for the last 20 years people would still give out, such is our way.

Case in point, the rolling stones have been old and past it for 20 years.

Also 1991? have you listened to POP and Zoopara?

• Advertisement

Ah but see thats not what you said. You said they were pricks, you didnt say their music was $hite which is a totally different arugment.

Bono IS a prick. Even U2 fans can see that.
    Are they pricks because their music is $hite? Well thats a lame argument cause even a 3 year old could dismantle it.
    I may not like Celine Dion or Michael Buble's music but I wont be calling her a bitch or him a prick because of that.

Being a prick has nothing to do with the music and all to do with the self indulgence and arrogance.
    Its a favourite pastime of ours to give out about U2. We did it with every other high profile Irish musican, dont see why it wont stop now. I really dont care for U2 at all but I just find all this pseudo-hatred of them to be nothing more than begrudery because if they were sitting at home doing nothing for the last 20 years people would still give out, such is our way.

Case in point, the rolling stones have been old and past it for 20 years.

Not at all. If U2 retired it'd just be awesome. I don't begrudge them succes, fair play for lasting so long. They have become very much a bunch of spoofers in musical terms though and that's the annoying part.

I hate the Stones' recent music as well.
    Also 1991? have you listened to POP and Zoopara?

Yes. Pop is one of the worst albums of the 90s.

I noticed you didn't defend anything from the 2000s ;)

LOl your hilarious. You accuse me of stereotyping but then pass your opinion as fact that U2 are the MOST divisive band in the world. Really..?:D

Are you serious? so the statement - I know of no other band that generates stronger, and divides opinion globally more than U2 actually means there is no other band that generates stronger, and divides opinion globally more than U2 - Nice jump in logic and reasoning there...show me where I stated as fact that U2 are the most divisive band in the world...
    Anyway clearly your not much of a thinker of what it is to be Irish. Its not about waving tri-colours, drinking Guinness and singing rebel songs...
    Also I wasn't talking about you specifically, I was talking about the Irish attitude to themselves. Sorry to blow your bubble.

Man have you got a chip - I don't worry myself thinking what it is to be Irish and i'm as anti nationalist as you get - How you can determine all this great insight from the fact I unlike you don't fawn over and have zero pride in u2 is beyond me....
    I was talking about the Irish attitude to themselves. Sorry to blow your bubble.

so this was not directed straight to me of all people?
    I am sure you of all people will understand the fact that when you go home for a visit you actually cant say how good this side of the world is because you are "boasting" "the big shot coming home" "show off" "bull $hiter" etc.

Only for Hussey asked us to be civil...

by the way - sorry to blow my bubble? Should it not be burst? funny either way - Ha

I really like the 2000's
    All That You Can't Leave Behind & How to dismantle .... had some cracking tunes

Vertigo is a great 'gym' song, they play it in my spin class, and it is a great song ;) Beautiful Day is good.

I think Pop is one of their worst albums, truly crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Damn it, I moved to kelvin Grove recently because I couldn't find a decent value rental in Paddington. Is suppose Kelvin Grove will be too far away.

I got tickets for that. Work is going to be a killer on the Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Guys you all do realize that no one is going to make you go see them so I don’t really see the point of the argument.

I enjoyed the last time I got to see them and am sure I will again. If you don’t like them fine it won’t stop me having a good time.

I can’t really understand why some people are posting in the tread just to let us know that they don’t like them.

Man have you got a chip - I don't worry myself thinking what it is to be Irish and i'm as anti nationalist as you get - How you can determine all this great insight from the fact I unlike you don't fawn over and have zero pride in u2 is beyond me....

Well by the looks of it your alot more irish then you think you as your first post in this thread was nothing but a begruders rant.

so this was not directed straight to me of all people?

Only for Hussey asked us to be civil...

by the way - sorry to blow my bubble? Should it not be burst? funny either way - Ha

That was a misunderstanding. I should have said 'ye' rather than 'you'. I was speaking to the forum in general not to you specifically. Apologies if it came out like that.

Bono IS a prick. Even U2 fans can see that.

LOL. The the joke is on you mate as you dont have a clue about U2 with that comment!
    Being a prick has nothing to do with the music and all to do with the self indulgence and arrogance..

Oh please do explain further. A rockstar that likes to promote himself? Jeez how dare he!:eek:
    Not at all. If U2 retired it'd just be awesome. I don't begrudge them succes, fair play for lasting so long. They have become very much a bunch of spoofers in musical terms though and that's the annoying part.

I hate the Stones' recent music as well.;)

Ah so they are spoofing their way to success? LOL. They are in the middle of what will become the most successful tour of any band in HISTORY and they are spoofers and then you dont call yourself a begruder..... wow!

Do you ever hear the Brits say the same about the stones. Hell no they dont, and their 20 years older FFS!!
    Yes. Pop is one of the worst albums of the 90s.

Fair enough, you didn't like it but I thought it was one of their best albums, much better than elevation. Then again I like dance music.

The problem with Pop is that is was too ahead of its time for the mainstream American audience. In Europe, however it was received quite well. Listen to it again and it will be still fresh and have not aged at all. If it were released today it would be recevied very differently due to the bastardisation of every possible genre to make pop music. Katty Perry and Snoop dog doing a single says it all I am afraid.

Doc wrote: »
    Guys you all do realize that no one is going to make you go see them so I don’t really see the point of the argument.

I enjoyed the last time I got to see them and am sure I will again. If you don’t like them fine it won’t stop me having a good time.

I can’t really understand why some people are posting in the tread just to let us know that they don’t like them.

Amen to that. Don't like them, dont go see them. Its free country! Although Tony Abbot might change that!;)

LOL. The the joke is on you mate as you dont have a clue about U2 with that comment!

It's hardly a revolutionary suggestion to state he is a prick. It's a commonly held opinion.

It may be wrong as I don't know the guy personally, but neither do you to discredit that particular opinion.
    Oh please do explain further. A rockstar that likes to promote himself? Jeez how dare he!:eek:

I've no problem with self promotion when it's done openly. Masquarading oneself as the saviour as a front is slightly different to that.
    Ah so they are spoofing their way to success? LOL. They are in the middle of what will become the most successful tour of any band in HISTORY and they are spoofers and then you dont call yourself a begruder..... wow!

Do you ever hear the Brits say the same about the stones. Hell no they dont, and their 20 years older FFS!!

Again, just because you criticise them doesn't make you a begrudger. I think you need to try distinguish the difference.

They are spoofing their way at the moment. The music of the 2000s has been piss weak but because they released some quality stuff 20/25 years ago folk will blindly buy into the new offering.

If U2 released an 11 track album of Bono making noises while taking a dump people would buy it. Doesn't mean it's any good though.
    Fair enough, you didn't like it but I thought it was one of their best albums, much better than elevation. Then again I like dance music.

It possibly was better than Elevation but then again, Elevation was horrific in its own right.
    The problem with Pop is that is was too ahead of its time for the mainstream American audience. In Europe, however it was received quite well. Listen to it again and it will be still fresh and have not aged at all. If it were released today it would be recevied very differently due to the bastardisation of every possible genre to make pop music. Katty Perry and Snoop dog doing a single says it all I am afraid.

It was received quite well because it was U2, not because it was good (imo of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

I saw a poster in the Etihad in Melbourne earlier today. Tickets go on sale spetember the third as far as i remember

Advertisement