Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swearing in Posts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ReginaII wrote: »
    People who drink does not equate to moderators who are drunk. Are you able to distinguish between someone who drinks, and someone who is drunk?

It’s not a question of morals, its a question of judgement and ability, and its not fair on members to be moderated by someone who is drunk.

It’s not, in any case, the fault of the moderator, but the fault of the managers if they allow drunk moderators to operate here.

I think the right to be moderated by someone who is not drunk would be good.

Firstly, you seem to be taking Boards.ie very seriously. I assume you are not Irish and may be missing the subtle nuances of Irish humour. Your constant references to managers, duty and work suggest a misunderstanding of the way we do things around here. This is not a place of employment, moderators are not employees.

Secondly, it is quite clear to me what your original account is, and it puts into context the obvious issues you have with this site.

Thirdly, if one moderator (or admin for that for matter) is drunk, there are multiple layers in the chain of command to rectify any bad call that is made. All moderators, category moderators and administrators are answerable to each other. And I personally have no problem (a) admitting when I make a mistake and (b) pulling up a fellow admin/cmod/mod if they do something stupid while under the influence (or not, as the case may be).

So, in short, moderators/cmods/admins posting on the site while drunk is a non-issue.

I'm not sure if one can turn a boards type forum into a democracy.

We can turn this site into a democracy when everyone adheres to the "don't be a dick" rule.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So, in short, moderators/cmods/admins posting on the site while drunk is a non-issue.
    Right so, DeV and the Boards team are clearly handing out beer(and blue nun) tokens and some of us missed the memo. I heartily endorse this product and or service and suggest it be extended to users too. Except here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1015 and here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=571 where I think its only fair that redbull and goofballs be doled out. And a mineral for the ladies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Secondly, it is quite clear to me what your original account is, and it puts into context the obvious issues you have with this site.

I think I know who you are talking about, and I wish I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I was thinking the same thing, but that lad would have been 12 clicked by now were that the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Wibbs wrote: »
    Right so, DeV and the Boards team are clearly handing out beer(and blue nun) tokens and some of us missed the memo.
    I've had no tokens:( I wouldn't mind but on a nice summer's day I used to quite like Blue Nun with strawberries floating in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's interesting to note that there is now, apparently, no shame or reluctance to admit that one is habitually drunk. Indeed, at times it seems to be a claim which some think is something to be proud of and brag about.

While boards has been upfront for a long time about the fact that it is more akin to a dictatorship than a democracy, where members have no rights at all and are at the whim of the moderators etc. It now seems that ordinary members are also at the whim of drunken moderators etc, also.

So much for the vetting process of choosing moderators.
    Consider this, moderating while drunk can be fun.
    People targetted by drunken mods are usually friends or people who share the same sense of humour as the mod.

There is generally no malice involved.

Advertisement