Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends in College...?

• 22-08-2010 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I was just wondering how hard is it to make friends in college? After how long do you drift away from your school mates? For the summer, I seem to have been going out regularly with my school buddies, and am wondering if this will still be the case in first year in college?

Please enlighten me, because I have no clue what to expect heading into first year.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am still in contact with 90% of my friends from secondary school . . . and I am still in contact with my friends from university.

It really does not have to be a "X or Y" scenario. It will all fall in place for you in college . . . don't worry. Just be sure to join clubs & societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Speaking as someone who had most of her friends go off to college last year, you'll stay friends with your school mates for as long as all of ye are determined to stay friends.
    Myself and another friend from my group repeated, some of my friend went to Dublin, some to Galway and others to Maynooth, but we all stayed in touch. We talk all the time on facebook, meet up whenever we can etc. we're all as close as we ever were, even closer in some cases.
    Just because you make new friends in college doesn't mean you're going to ditch your old friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

depends on where all your friends are going. a good few of mine went to galway along with me, but i only talked to a handful there. you'll meet loads of new people in college anyway. just go up to complete strangers in lectures and start chatting with them. it's what i did :D
    join loads of clubs and societies. good way to get to know people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Bonemachine

I've been having the same worries, not so much about making friends as I know of three lads going to my college, and one girl. But more about losing touch, as i'm going to Ballyfermot and my best friend is heading to IADT. But hey, we've still got the weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

if you want to stay in contact, ye will. you're going to be college students ffs. all your time must be spent on facebook doing pointless things :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

This is the thing I'm most worried about college tbh. At the moment, it looks like my core group of ten or so best friends won't be going to my college:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

kev9100 wrote: »
    This is the thing I'm most about tbh. At the moment, it looks my core group of ten or so best friends won't be going to my college:(.

Don't worry about that, only two of my mates of about 12 are in my college. But the 12 of us are still best mates, nothing has changed at all. Although we all live within 5 minutes of eachother.

Anyway, I could never see college friends taking over from my school/best mates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Its so easy!!

Everyone is new to the whole experience so they are just as in the open as you, therefore are easier to get along with....

Unless you're in UCD....the majority of people there can be extremely snobby...

and thats a fact not a judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

hey bud!!

dont be worrying about this at all! first this is join a club or socity! you will meet loads off ppl.. and dont forgot there is maybe 2000/3000 students in the same position as you! this is my situation, no point in making it up: im still in contact with 2 or 3 friends from school and 3 people from my sports club at home other than that iv made friends in a club in college and the ppl i live with! and then a few ppk from my course! ppl from all different backgrounds and cultures. its great! you will find out who ur real friends are in college!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I don't think there should be much of a problem making new friends in college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

I made a heap of mates through clubs n socs and by livin on the college campus, getting drunk most nights and talking ****e! that's the best way to do it in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Youll be grand. Just dont be afraid to say hello to new people and be open. If someone invites you somewhere, go.

Just remember everyone is in the same position :)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Its really not as hard to make friends as you think. I never had many friends in secondary but I know tons of people in college.

Its easy to keep up with friends these days, mainly with facebook and things you can keep track of each others lives even if you don't see each other much.

In your first week you will loose track of all the people who tell you their names. You find yourself saying :
    "Hi, I'm _____, Im doing ____" sooo much.

everyone you run into, or say anything to, introduce yourself, don't be afraid to ask them to join you for lunch, etc.. everyones in the same boat remember.

Secondly, join as many societies as you can, even just to try new things. Everyone there will introduce themselves, ask about you, and try to include you. Just generally be open minded, friendly, and have a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

I'm heading into 2nd year of college this year!! Most of my Leaving Cert Year went to Galway and Sligo and I decided to go to Dublin on my own. As terrifying as it may sound the first day you meet everyone you'll see that everyone is in the same situation. The inductions/fresher's week is so much fun you will make so many friends from doing group activities or events together, I can guarantee you will look back and wonder why you were stressing so much!!

Best of Luck to Everyone starting college for the first time, the best days of your life lay ahead of you in the coming weeks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

My experience is you'll drift from some school friends, people change a lot before they get to their 30s. However is college I found it SO easy to make friends, there are clubs and societies for everything and going for a cuppa was always a great way to fill the phone with numbers and names. I loved college, hope you will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Irishchick wrote: »
    Youll be grand. Just dont be afraid to say hello to new people and be open. If someone invites you somewhere, go.

Just remember everyone is in the same position :)

I can't stress this enough too - don't be afraid to go out in 1st year and just live it up. Sure you will make friends in your class, but the best way to cement friendships across college and disciplines is to go out and meet people, house parties etc. Personally I spent too much time in 1st year worrying about grades etc. and if I had my time back, I would spend more going out and less on the books! Don't worry though, the only way you will fail is if you don't make an effort to go to these things, including college events! Its great to hang around with your school friends, but don't fall into the trap of not attempting to widen your social network.

Advertisement