Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing and College

• 22-08-2010 2:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice.

Friend of mine got 260 in his LC. He failed biology (E) and geo (E). Now I was with him for most of the year, we were in biology grinds together and studied that subject alot together, and there is no way that he failed it so obviously he is going to get it rechecked. Same with geo.

Buuuuuut what he doesn't get, and me neither, is that if you appeal and you get bumped up a grade (in this case it will give him 300+ , enough for his course) is it not too late for college? Like all the offers would be out already... How does this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If he gets moved up enough for the course he'll be made an offer, if there's no space or if its over six weeks into the semester, there'll be a space reserved for him on the course next year. Otherwise he can start straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Say if that does happen and you still repeat the LC but yeh end up with like 200 points would your place still be reserved (after re-appling for the reserved course through CAO)?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

THFC wrote: »
    Say if that does happen and you still repeat the LC but yeh end up with like 200 points would your place still be reserved (after re-appling for the reserved course through CAO)?

Why would you reapply for the reserved course?? You are already guaranteed to get it....:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

lc2010 wrote: »
    Why would you reapply for the reserved course?? You are already guaranteed to get it....:confused::confused:
    Yeah I was just thinking if my appeal comes through (unlikely, I know) but they only offer me a place for next year I might as well repeat seeing as I'll have already done a month and a half. However I'd probably lose interest after the mocks or something and get a job which would give me little time to study. I know its unlikely but it is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

THFC wrote: »
    Yeah I was just thinking if my appeal comes through (unlikely, I know) but they only offer me a place for next year I might as well repeat seeing as I'll have already done a month and a half. However I'd probably lose interest after the mocks or something and get a job which would give me little time to study. I know its unlikely but it is a possibility.

Yeah but you could still repeat and just not reapply to the cao, couldn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

AFAIK you have to apply through the CAO to accept a deferred place. And if you put any other course on your CAO list you will forfeit your deferred place and be re-entered into competition for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

dambarude wrote: »
    AFAIK you have to apply through the CAO to accept a deferred place. And if you put any other course on your CAO list you will forfeit your deferred place and be re-entered into competition for the place.
    This.

THFC: Even if you repeat and get lower points the place will still be reserved. Anyway the CAO always submits your highest set of points, even if it's not your most recent set.

Advertisement