Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portarlington - An Chistin closed down :0(

Options
  • 22-08-2010 4:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

I just happened to be wandering past yesterday evening, and there was a sign outside saying "last day of trading". It's such a shame, I liked that spot, and the owners are lovely. When will this town get back on it's feet? It's sad to see a business that tried so hard to do well and provide a good service go under.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

What!!!!

I was in there yesterday evening with my son, as we always do on a Saturday and I didn't hear a thing about this?
    I'm gutted hearing this, I loved An Chistín, the food was excellent, the service good and the owners very nice.

The thought of going across the road to the other fella doesn't appeal. Guess that just leaves the two pubs to go into for something to eat during the day now, crap. :-(

Any idea what happened, or what went wrong?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

owner got in trouble with revenue... tax issues.... it was in the local papers

if these are resolved i hope it could open again, there was a lovely cafe feel to the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

I was chatting briefly to the owner, she said they just had to make the decision to close, she did mention the tax issue alright, but I didn't ask her about it. She was really quite upset - when I saw the sign, I popped in for a last cuppa. Myself and my mother ended up being their last customers - she was in tears closing the door behind us. I really felt sorry for them, she said they begged and begged for help sorting out their issues but they just had to accept defeat in the end. It's such a shame - they put their heart and soul into that place, they really tried to get it to work.
    I really hope they can get back on their feet and start over. They kept me and Mr. Doogie well fed for months when we moved house and had no oven for six months!! You're right Kingdom, the thought of going into yer man beside the Chinese isn't very appealing - everything in there is deep fried. An Chistín did lovely, proper dinners, and good value too.

It's a damn shame. I didn't know of any tax issues, the sad thing is, I never once considered the place to be a business, I always felt it was a little retreat or something. A very welcoming shop front, a long way off what was there before thanks be to allah!
    However if there was tax issues, well you have to cut your cloth I suppose. They probably bought and renovated at about the worst time possible; the jobs started going in town, centra faded badly due to the Super Valu expansion which probably took away a few customers, and sad to say but the decision not to open before 10a.m. was imo a bad one, but probably necessary given they live above the place and have school going kids.

It doesn't seem right for some reason. I like to see the independent traders doing ok, hopefully the Malone (fruit and Veg) fella keeps going - there's been quite a few that haven't been so lucky: Video Store, Mens & Womens clothes shops in the centra complex, the Wilton gone, the book shop essentially gone. Doesn't make for good reading.

Funny, she did seem a bit "emotional" during the 20 mins we were there. I like this town, but there doesn't seem to be a lot going right at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Kingdom wrote: »
    It's a damn shame. I didn't know of any tax issues, the sad thing is, I never once considered the place to be a business, I always felt it was a little retreat or something. A very welcoming shop front, a long way off what was there before thanks be to allah!
    However if there was tax issues, well you have to cut your cloth I suppose. They probably bought and renovated at about the worst time possible; the jobs started going in town, centra faded badly due to the Super Valu expansion which probably took away a few customers, and sad to say but the decision not to open before 10a.m. was imo a bad one, but probably necessary given they live above the place and have school going kids.

It doesn't seem right for some reason. I like to see the independent traders doing ok, hopefully the Malone (fruit and Veg) fella keeps going - there's been quite a few that haven't been so lucky: Video Store, Mens & Womens clothes shops in the centra complex, the Wilton gone, the book shop essentially gone. Doesn't make for good reading.

Funny, she did seem a bit "emotional" during the 20 mins we were there. I like this town, but there doesn't seem to be a lot going right at the moment.

I was chatting to them a few months back, Simon said that the breakfast trade had gone way down, so much so that it wasn't worth their while paying staff to be there for a handful of customers - I think they felt that it was more beneficial to stay open late in the evening and try to get some dinnertime trade. I work long shifts and don't get home till 10pm, but I have to say, if I was getting back to town off a train at 7pm, I'd be very tempted to pop in for a bite there rather than cook. I got quite a few takeaway dinners from them; I even palmed one off as my own when my mother in law stayed with us once! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 deltaromeo82

Absolutely gutted. An chistin was a town landmark i loved going there. I was planning on going down this week. I used to love chatting with the owner's and my little girl loved playing there. They'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Very sad to hear this, went there most Saturdays and always loved the family atmosphere of the place. I rememeber being in there a couple of months ago and the owners were out of town but relatives were looking after the place and the owners eldest fella was asking them all, did you do this? Do you do that? When I was leaving I asked him was he the boss? He just smiled and was chuffed with himself. I really do hope they can make another go of it. It just shows you should always try and support local business, especially one that looks after their customers as well as An Chistin. Will really miss the place.

The difference between An Chistin and Mathews cafe was/is night and day. I will not be going anywhere near your man's place.

Any recommendations for anywhere else in the town? More brunch than breakfast....I'm a late sleeper.

Oh and I have to say I also support Brian in the fruit and veg shop. The amount of stuff I get off him and he'll just say give me xxxx amount. GREAT VALUE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Absolutely gutted. An chistin was a town landmark i loved going there. I was planning on going down this week. I used to love chatting with the owner's and my little girl loved playing there. They'll be missed.

A town landmark ????

TC's that was there before for many years will be remembered a lot more.

I liked An Chistin but between the recession & paid parking it was always on a downer. Pity to see another business gone in the town.

Roaster wrote: »

Oh and I have to say I also support Brian in the fruit and veg shop. The amount of stuff I get off him and he'll just say give me xxxx amount. GREAT VALUE!

I see his window was put in last week, wtf?

Next time your in ask him to do a bit of Michael Jackson dancing for you...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Sunny86

I find dennis's opposite texaco really good for lunch, soup and a main course for €8.50 at luchtime is my personal fav. They also do nicest breakfast in town by a mile just a shame they don't open for breakfast :)

Next time your in ask him to do a bit of Michael Jackson dancing for you...........

Was that in The Pint of Port?

Was that in The Pint of Port?

I'm not saying anything else:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭graceanseo

Aw terrible to hear that!! Love that place it was unique an a real treat to go to, that's probably part of the problem.......most of us can't aford to go as much as we would like to.

Really hope they can get back on their feet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pollypierce

:eek:That's such a shame. That place was lovely, and guaranteed to cheer me up on a bad day.

Sadly I don't venture into Portarlington that often (time constraints!) but I would have to agree that Denis's is great. Fingers crossed that he and all the other small traders that work so hard to keep the town alive will continue to do so for a long time to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

An Chistin will definitely be missed for the ability to make proper Oirish dinners whilst also understanding how to make a decent coffee as well.

Now they're gone, I'll be heading to Dennis more and more. Italian food has always been my favourite. I thought it was another chipper for along time, then I thought it was closed during the day like The Good Year and I only realised about a month ago while I was getting fuel across the road that there were people in there. It looks so dark in there! Nice little place.

I will miss the alcoves etc in An Chistin. Even though it was a big enough place, you always felt like you had your own little corner in it and that you could chat in semi-privacy. Hopefully, they'll manage to re-open when things improve a bit. If Aldi had opened sooner, maybe it would have brought a bit of trade their way. Pity.

PS I agree with everyone's opinion of the "fella across the road". You also feel like a major inconvenience in his day when you order anything in there. And you always regret going there when they mix up your order. :mad: And cover it in grease.

I went to the East End Hotel a couple of weeks back for breakfast and I have to say it was gorgeous.

A young Dublin girl was the chef and the food was fresh, warm and it was a generous portion (Full Irish). She came out a few times too to ask was everything ok. I'll definitely be going back.

I went to the East End Hotel a couple of weeks back for breakfast and I have to say it was gorgeous.

A young Dublin girl was the chef and the food was fresh, warm and it was a generous portion (Full Irish). She came out a few times too to ask was everything ok. I'll definitely be going back.

I forgot about there. Handy parking too. They do good size meals and they are quick for lunch. You don't spend half your lunch hour waiting. I got the best roast potatoes ever there one time, just a hint of chilli on the crispy coating .
    *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 31 pollypierce

Sorry if this sounds thick, but it's been a few weeks since I was in Port, are you saying that Aldi has finally opened in Port?
    If Aldi had opened sooner, maybe it would have brought a bit of trade their way. Pity.

Or are we still waiting on it? Like so much else...

Sorry if this sounds thick, but it's been a few weeks since I was in Port, are you saying that Aldi has finally opened in Port?

Nope
    Or are we still waiting on it? Like so much else...

Oh yes we are. I read in the Leinster that they had a decision from bord Pleanala and they were good to go but no movement yet. I tried to search the Leinster website but no joy. Can't google the article either. Maybe I dreamt it all....

Once Aldi decide to build, they really go for it. After they got the go ahead in Portlaoise, (again) I couldn't believe how quick they opened to the public. A few big shops like that in Port would be the making of such a small town. I don't know why there have been so many protests. I worked in a store one time in a small town which have 2 other small supermarkets. The week after the last of the other 2 closed down, our trade took a dip and never recovered. People like choice. And I think they didn't trust a supermarket with a monopoly even though we were the same price as supermarkets in Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement