Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bright Object

Options
  • 22-08-2010 5:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Was standing outside at 5 AM this morning and noticed a particularly bright object in the sky to the south. I couldn't find any information online about what it might be so I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

We call it "The Moon".

...Ah no, sounds like it was probably Jupiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

FruitLover wrote: »
    We call it "The Moon".

...Ah no, sounds like it was probably Jupiter.
    Had a look at Jupiter last night for the first time in ages, it was class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Most likely Jupiter.

If you ever want to confirm what's in the sky - download Stellarium. It's a free application that will map out the sky for you, and tell you everything that's in the sky at any given moment. You will need to set the options to make sure you are set in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Late night Improbable?!

Never realised Jupiter was such a bright object in the sky. Know that Venus is but hadn't known Jupiter was.

Jupiter is one of the brightest objects in the sky. It's the largest planet in the solar system. It's in the sky at the moment from 11pm ish, until light-break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

got home at about half 4 thismornin, and jupiter was way high up in the sky at that point, so i'd also say it was that,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It was definitely Jupiter. I saw it at about 4:20am a couple of mornings ago, and it was to the south by that time. I also caught a glimpse of parts of Orion through the clouds towards the east. Autumn and winter night skies are coming people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

dlofnep wrote: »
    Most likely Jupiter.

If you ever want to confirm what's in the sky - download Stellarium. It's a free application that will map out the sky for you, and tell you everything that's in the sky at any given moment. You will need to set the options to make sure you are set in Ireland.

Or if you've an Android Phone you can add the Google Sky Map app that shows you what you're looking at in the sky. It's GPS based so is very accurate in my experience.:cool:

Yup, Google Sky Map is handy :) I have it on my android.

Advertisement