Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis - Be Here Now.... 13 years on

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

aDeener wrote: »
    please enlighten us all oh wise one, that is if it is possible for you to come off that glorious horse of yours :rolleyes:

I don't own a horse; much too expensive in this recessionary period to feed. I have a dog called sweep because of his long hair, then we cut it off because it kept getting matted, now he looks kind of like an overgrown rat with chubby cheeks. But he won't answer to rat so he's still called sweep. Cest la vie.

Anyways, those two albums were the tipping point in the nineties from when indie went from being a musical force with some wit and verve to a bloated parody of its former glories. It probably took the scene a decade to recover from the tripe those two bands produced on those albums.

When I heard the tone deaf monkey boy singing 'From Atlanta, Georgia
    To Longsight, Manchester' with out a hint of embarrassment while the once mellifluous playing of Squire began to resemble the dying fart of a drunkard overdosing on brandy.

And Jesus, Be Here Now was like being attacked by the village idiot while the town crier rang his bell in your right ear anda one man band tried desperately to play a Beatles medley in your left. Just utterly relentless.

Whatever you may think of Blur, at least they had the good sense to know when the ship was sinking and look further afield to greener pastures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Woah, woah, the Second Coming is a great album, it's aged better than most of the stuff released then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Everybody says it wasnt as good as Def Maybe or Morn Glory true.But no band in the last 16 years has ever topped those albums.Even for themselves they were a tough act to follow on from those two particular albums.What about Standing On The Shoulder of Giants after Be Here Now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Id love to hear the demos to the album, a lot was recorded by Noel, solo, in a villa in Spain. From what I have read there is some beautiful versions of the BHN songs and some other unheard tracks.

When they decide to do a huge box set I expect those demos to be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

zimovain wrote: »
    Id love to hear the demos to the album, a lot was recorded by Noel, solo, in a villa in Spain. From what I have read there is some beautiful versions of the BHN songs and some other unheard tracks.

When they decide to do a huge box set I expect those demos to be on it.

I think they were released but are extremely hard to find but they are around.....,.,,,,,somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

When I heard the tone deaf monkey boy singing 'From Atlanta, Georgia
    To Longsight, Manchester' with out a hint of embarrassment while the once mellifluous playing of Squire began to resemble the dying fart of a drunkard overdosing on brandy.

And Jesus, Be Here Now was like being attacked by the village idiot while the town crier rang his bell in your right ear anda one man band tried desperately to play a Beatles medley in your left. Just utterly relentless.

Whatever you may think of Blur, at least they had the good sense to know when the ship was sinking and look further afield to greener pastures.

A bit harsh on poor Mr. Squire there, his guitar playing on 'Tears' is some of the best of his (Stone Roses) career. Brown was never a great lyricist in my opinion, despite what people say about his lyrics on the debut album.

Be Here Now had its good moments, no one would deny that (including the songs mentioned earlier in this thread by yours truly).

Blur went in a different direction and were hit and miss, some of Blur and 13 is worthy only for the bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Love this album, thought I was one of the only ones though :o haha

I would love to hear the "Maybe Here Now" thing though. Any link mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Be Here Now is one of my favourite albums.

Love this album, thought I was one of the only ones though :o haha

I would love to hear the "Maybe Here Now" thing though. Any link mate?
    Would love to hear it aswell but I can't find it anywhere on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Would love to hear it aswell but I can't find it anywhere on the internet

Same. Keep finding some blog or something. Pffft.

• Advertisement

i found it on the l4e forum a few years ago. i cant seem to find it there now how and ever

the version I have was edited by Tom Peilow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

I had it a few years ago but lost it, this, I think was/is the tracklisting. Not missing out on much really.
    D'You Know What I Mean (Radio Edit)

My Big Mouth (Short Edit)

Magic Pie (Short Edit)

Stand By Me (Short Edit)

I Hope I Think I Know (Short Edit)

The Girl In The Dirty Shirt (Short Edit)

Fade In-Out (Untouched)

Don't Go Away (Untouched)

Be Here Now (Longer Intro)

It's Gettin' Better (Man!!) (Short Edit)

All Around The World (Medley to Reprisal)

http://live4ever.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=news&action=display&thread=47707&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

"D'You Know What I Mean?" – 7:44
    "My Big Mouth" – 5:02
    "Magic Pie" – 7:19
    "Stand by Me" – 5:56
    "I Hope, I Think, I Know" – 4:22
    "The Girl in the Dirty Shirt" – 5:49

"Fade In-Out" – 6:52
    "Don't Go Away" – 4:48
    "Be Here Now" – 5:13
    "All Around the World" – 9:20
    "It's Gettin' Better (Man!!)" – 7:00

"All Around the World (Reprise)" – 2:08

The bolded tracks above are all well above average imo and young 12 year old me loved the album as a whole when it bought it on release day. I still listen to it every so often and would agree that it's miles better than the majority of the stuff they released in the 2000s.

I think Noel is far too critical of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Really liked this album, not their best work, but pretty good all the same. "Stand by Me", "The Girl in the Dirty Shirt", "Don't Go Away" & "All Around the World" are cracking tunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭garyfoxes

I think its a highly underated albumn,songs like my big mouth are full just hands on rock n roll,think some of the guitar work and vocals in fade in-out r brilliant!

As for the comment about squire and the second coming:confused:,its an asolute genious albumn!Better than the first imo!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The bolded tracks above are all well above average imo and young 12 year old me loved the album as a whole when it bought it on release day. I still listen to it every so often and would agree that it's miles better than the majority of the stuff they released in the 2000s.

I think Noel is far too critical of it.
    How about My Big Mouth? That song in my opinion is the best on the album. Just went on YouTube and there live version of this song from their last tour is excellent

i hope i think i know would be up there with my favourite oasis songs, my favourite album of theirs as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

1997 was the best year ever for music in my opinion. Verve, Charlatans, OCS, Cast, Stereophonics etc... all released albums that i still listen to often.

Be Here Now was the first album i ever bought.
    i loved it, still love it. yes it is too long. but i like listening to dya know what i mean, the whole lot. (love the bside on that, Angel Child). I love Magic Pie, Dont Go Away, & The Girl in the Dirty Shirt (fav on it).

I found My Big Mouth the weakest song on the album, but after hearing that at slane last year and going bananas at it, i like it alot more since. All Around the World was weak too, but had a good video.

Also I dont think Whats the Story was the "best album" they had. so much weak songs on it. Why o why was the swamp song on it twice?(untitled) 6 &11. Some Might Say and Roll With It, I think they are poor songs, I dont know how they got number1. and Shes electric is terrible.

yeah Definitely Maybe is a classic. but whats the story is overratted imo, good single choices of course, wonderwall & DLBIA of course. how champagne wasnt a single in uk &ireland is crazy....

I found many of oasis later work very good but the choice of singles is terrible. Same with alot of bands especially Stereophonics. but
    Who Feels Love?
    Sunday Morning Call
    she is love/little by little
    Lyla
    how were they singles, so many better songs on each album.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Having spent the summer of 1997 looking forward to this album it's an understatment to say I was dissapointed after queuing up for it.

I must say that the finest track on the labum is Magic Pie, and by a country mile. here's an acoustic version (aplogies for the sound quality)

The problem with most of the songs was that they were over produced but that they also didn't stand up to scrutiny stripped down either.
    Magic Pie is a good old tune with good structure, it's a pity it's two and a half minutes longer than it should be on the album.

Fade in out was another decent track, a slight departure in style for Oasis and probably the most impressive sounding track on the album.
    Stand by me and D'you know what I mean were decent songs, All around the world wasn't a terrible song either but it's hard to defend the album especially when you go back to the previous two (Definitely Maybe and WTSMG?) which were fantatsic albums.

Oasis's problem was throwing amazing songs onto B sides (The masterplan, D'yer wanna be a spaceman etc...)
    Modern bands wouldn't be expected to release three B-sides with every single so when you think about it Oasis had already released three albums worth of tracks before they got to Loch Lomond and Knebworth never mind into the studio with a big pile of cocaine to record Be here now.

I think it took a long time for Oasis to get back on track, the next three albums followed the pattern of having a few decent songs and a lot of filler.
    Ironically Dig out your soul was a really good album so at least they bowed out on a high even if the magic of the early days had been long lost.

I was a huge Oasis fan back in the day and still have a huge fondness for them but I've always felt that they were at their (Noel Gallaghers) best when they were writing songs based on their lives as normal people. Becoming successful meant the inspiration of being an average joe soap and living a hum drum life was gone therefor the audience couldn't identify with them any more when the lyrics were inspired by the rock n roll lifestyle they had once only aspired to.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

aDeener wrote: »
    up there with the stone roses' second coming as the most underrated album ever!

I wouldn't consider this an underrated album. But definitely agree about second coming. One of my favourite albums of all time.
    I think D'you know what I mean is one of Oasis' best tracks. One or two other decent tunes but the rest is completely forgettable.

Oasis only released three singles from Be Here Now. Ironically all went to number one. Is All Around The World the longest song to get in the charts? I'm surprised that there seems to be criticisms of All Around The World. If it was produced well it could have been one of their best if not best ever song. I do feel Noel is holding back for his own solo record and that resulted in the albums that followed Be Here Now not being up to scratch. I read in an interview years ago which must have been around 2000 where Noel said he was writing songs for himself and that they were not "Oasis" songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Magic Pie and The girl in the dirty shirt were the best off the album but on the whole it was a poor album

nullzero wrote: »
    Having spent the summer of 1997 looking forward to this album it's an understatment to say I was dissapointed after queuing up for it.

I must say that the finest track on the labum is Magic Pie, and by a country mile. here's an acoustic version (aplogies for the sound quality)

The problem with most of the songs was that they were over produced but that they also didn't stand up to scrutiny stripped down either.
    Magic Pie is a good old tune with good structure, it's a pity it's two and a half minutes longer than it should be on the album.

Fade in out was another decent track, a slight departure in style for Oasis and probably the most impressive sounding track on the album.
    Stand by me and D'you know what I mean were decent songs, All around the world wasn't a terrible song either but it's hard to defend the album especially when you go back to the previous two (Definitely Maybe and WTSMG?) which were fantatsic albums.

Oasis's problem was throwing amazing songs onto B sides (The masterplan, D'yer wanna be a spaceman etc...)
    Modern bands wouldn't be expected to release three B-sides with every single so when you think about it Oasis had already released three albums worth of tracks before they got to Loch Lomond and Knebworth never mind into the studio with a big pile of cocaine to record Be here now.

I think it took a long time for Oasis to get back on track, the next three albums followed the pattern of having a few decent songs and a lot of filler.
    Ironically Dig out your soul was a really good album so at least they bowed out on a high even if the magic of the early days had been long lost.

I was a huge Oasis fan back in the day and still have a huge fondness for them but I've always felt that they were at their (Noel Gallaghers) best when they were writing songs based on their lives as normal people. Becoming successful meant the inspiration of being an average joe soap and living a hum drum life was gone therefor the audience couldn't identify with them any more when the lyrics were inspired by the rock n roll lifestyle they had once only aspired to.
    i think lyrically, Oasis only improved after Be Here Now and Morning Glory. Definitely Maybe perhaps had some of the best "average joe soap" lyrics (Cigarettes & Alcohol, Rock 'n' Roll Star etc.) Morning Glory, despite it being my favourite album, wasn't lyrically the strongest from the point of view of looking back. I think SOTSOG was possibly Noel's second best album lyrically (I'm emphasising Noel because Little James was terrible). I really like some of the songs on that album, different sounding to their previous, a bit groovier!

Heathen Chemistry is their worst album I would say, far too much filler. DBTT was a rebirth as far as I'm concerned with the two lead singles being particularly fantastic. Dig Out Your Soul was good, I'd put it on a par with SOTSOG (meant in a complimentary way). I look forward with a keen interest to Noel's solo work (after he's done changing nappies of course!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 briand10

Still makes the hairs on me neck stand up when i hear it.
    Great album, great times!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 ryano77

was a great album in my opinion. I even preferred it to morning glory. For me oasis were always a great drinking band. The vocals always carried the songs because the music itself was pretty average at best

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Really disliked it when it came out...huge disappointment. :(

Listening to it right now, (full album on youtube).

REALLY ENJOYING IT.

GREAT ALBUM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

oldscoil wrote: »
    Really disliked it when it came out...huge disappointment. :(

Listening to it right now, (full album on youtube).

REALLY ENJOYING IT.

GREAT ALBUM :)
    I've heard some of the stripped back demos without all the guitar overdubbing and there was some quality tunes on there, but as Noel himself says when you're on coke you think everything sounds better than The Beatles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Good album, just goes on too long!

As for Heathen Chemistry and peoples mixed views on it I think it's a excellent
    album that got lost in the production. "Murky" is the best I have heard it described.

The vinyl copy of the album sounds a lot better and warmer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I think the biggest mistake they made was throwing away some of their best work to B-sides during the Morning Glory era. Can you imagine Be Here Now if it included:

Acquiesce
    The Masterplan
    It's Good to be Free
    Talk Tonight
    Headshrinker
    Round Are Way

Advertisement