Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis - Be Here Now.... 13 years on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Hit and miss. Some songs could have been brought down to size. Lyrically it's weak. D'You Know What I Mean, It's Getting Better Man, Magic Pie and Don't Go Away all good songs. All Around The World I enjoy as well, although long winded.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

I think the biggest mistake they made was throwing away some of their best work to B-sides during the Morning Glory era. Can you imagine Be Here Now if it included:

Acquiesce
    The Masterplan
    It's Good to be Free
    Talk Tonight
    Headshrinker
    Round Are Way

Absolutely.

I think if it was remastered (in this case less production) then it could be a great album.

I think "Stand by me" would be a great Noel acoustic tune, with maybe a piano plonking away in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I think the biggest mistake they made was throwing away some of their best work to B-sides during the Morning Glory era. Can you imagine Be Here Now if it included:

Acquiesce
    The Masterplan
    It's Good to be Free
    Talk Tonight
    Headshrinker
    Round Are Way
    Noel has always alluded to the fact that during the first two albums they threw away too many b-sides that could've made an equally good third album. Like all them singles had three b-sides which made them more like an EP.
    The Swamp Song
    (It's Good) To Be Free
    Listen Up
    Headshrinker
    D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman?
    Half the World Away
    Talk Tonight
    Acquiesce
    Rockin Chair
    Step Out
    Fade Away
    The Masterplan

Still leaving out good songs like Round Are Way and Underneath the Sky you have more than the bones of a pretty good album there plus songs like All Around the World were floating around since 1992

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I think its pretty good. Not their best, but not their worst either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think it's ok. A little underrated but definitely nowhere near as good as Definitely Maybe or (What's The Story) Morning Glory? Like a lot of people have said, it's just way over-produced and some of the songs are too long.

• Advertisement

Suas11 wrote: »
    I think it's ok. A little underrated but definitely nowhere near as good as Definitely Maybe or (What's The Story) Morning Glory? Like a lot of people have said, it's just way over-produced and some of the songs are too long.
    Definitely Maybe for me is their best, but I do feel musically and lyrically their last two albums Don't Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul were probably their best in that sense on Noels behalf but after 6 or so albums the music loses that rawness and becomes too polished with attention to detail that in the early days you wouldn't care about.
    Below is a funny video from Time Flies where Noel is talking about DYou Know What I Mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Still some great tunes on Be Here Now but nothing was going to top (What's The Story) Morning Glory

I Hope I Think I Know is a forgotten gem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember Dave Fanning asking Noel would he go back and strip down the songs and re release a new version, at its core the tunes standup but the wall of sound wasn't to everybody's liking. Noel's answer was no way, its a statement for that place and time and that a lot fans tell him its their favourite Oasis album.

I think the bigger criticism it got was people felt they weren't evolving their sound at all. It's ironic that when they did change with SOTSOG they media derided that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Johnny Depps slide guitar parts are probably the best thing about the album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I remember Dave Fanning asking Noel would he go back and strip down the songs and re release a new version, at its core the tunes standup but the wall of sound wasn't to everybody's liking. Noel's answer was no way, its a statement for that place and time and that a lot fans tell him its their favourite Oasis album.

I think the bigger criticism it got was people felt they weren't evolving their sound at all. It's ironic that when they did change with SOTSOG they media derided that as well.

I think it was just fashionable to dislike Oasis back then. Either album, if released now as a debut would be well received.

i think im gonna whack this on full blast tonight having a few cans before going into town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Dotsey wrote: »
    Definitely Maybe for me is their best, but I do feel musically and lyrically their last two albums Don't Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul were probably their best in that sense on Noels behalf but after 6 or so albums the music loses that rawness and becomes too polished with attention to detail that in the early days you wouldn't care about.
    Below is a funny video from Time Flies where Noel is talking about DYou Know What I Mean

lol great clip, love noels interviews

gotta say I love Be Here Now its like cocaine for the ears which is a good thing! When I stick it on on my ipod or whatever I instantly start swaggering down the street thinking I'm the coolest guy on the planet, which you know, is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

my favourite track on be here now shame it seemed to get buried within the album

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'd fallen out of love with Oasis by the time this arrived. I'd gotten irritated with them with tunes like 'She's Electric' and 'Don't Look Back...', and how they were always playing in Dunnes and everywhere you went. My angry young man years.

Still thing their debut's their best, but 'D'you know what I mean' is a classic.

markesmith wrote: »
    I'd fallen out of love with Oasis by the time this arrived. I'd gotten irritated with them with tunes like 'She's Electric' and 'Don't Look Back...', and how they were always playing in Dunnes and everywhere you went. My angry young man years.

Still thing their debut's their best, but 'D'you know what I mean' is a classic.

Yeah, when the bridge kicks in on that tune my hairs stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Just put on the album there. :)

I think it's their 5th best album.
    The first two, Masterplan(does it count?) and Dig Out Your Soul are much much better than it.
    I think Dig Out Your Soul is by far their best album sonically and Definitely Maybe is their best lyrically.

Just put on the album there. :)

I think it's their 5th best album.
    The first two, Masterplan(does it count?) and Dig Out Your Soul are much much better than it.
    I think Dig Out Your Soul is by far their best album sonically and Definitely Maybe is their best lyrically.
    I don't think Definitely Maybe is their best lyrically, as Noel has improved ten fold lyrically but I think Definitely Maybe has the edge on their other albums because of it's anthemic nature and it's rawness. Definitely Maybe was that good that's very few bands that could ever live upto it.

I do like Dig Out Your Soul but the problem with that album is that the first 7 songs are top notch and flow perfectly but after that it dies a death. It show the class between Noel's singwriting and the rest of the best not bringing enough to the table, DBTT flowed better as an album because it was all blended together but DOYS was top heavy with Noel at one end and the rest at the other end and there's a gaping hole in between.

I don't think Definitely Maybe is their best lyrically, as Noel has improved ten fold lyrically but I think Definitely Maybe has the edge on their other albums because of it's anthemic nature and it's rawness. Definitely Maybe was that good that's very few bands that could ever live upto it.

I do like Dig Out Your Soul but the problem with that album is that the first 7 songs are top notch and flow perfectly but after that it dies a death. It show the class between Noel's singwriting and the rest of the best not bringing enough to the table, DBTT flowed better as an album because it was all blended together but DOYS was top heavy with Noel at one end and the rest at the other end and there's a gaping hole in between.

I think Liam and the others brought it down. Like you said it dies a death in the closing stages. 'Ain't Got Nothing On Me' is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, Bell or Archers 'The Nature of Reality' is a generic riff based mess. The closing track 'Soldier On' is a pretentious joke. If Noel had wrote from start to finish who knows, but Oasis had reached their sell by date anyway at that point imo.

markesmith wrote: »

D'you What I Mean is their greatest bad ass tune, I even love the one minute distortion and morse code intro..:pac:

• Advertisement

I think the 'others' songs were better on DBTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

DBTT is the third best Oasis album for me, WTSMG and DM are their two best records.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

I'm not going to comment on what is the "best" (difficult one that), but I can certainly say my favourites are:

1. Be Here Now
    2. Dig Out Your Soul
    3. Definitely Maybe
    4. Heathen Chemistry
    5. WTSMG
    6. DBTT
    7. SOSTOG

Their "best" album is probably DM, the "worst" SOTSOG.

I'm not going to comment on what is the "best" (difficult one that), but I can certainly say my favourites are:

1. Be Here Now
    2. Dig Out Your Soul
    3. Definitely Maybe
    4. Heathen Chemistry
    5. WTSMG
    6. DBTT
    7. SOSTOG

Their "best" album is probably DM, the "worst" SOTSOG.

Shocked you have DBTT as the second worst, it's a brilliant album!

Everyone's opinion is valid but I can't believe you have DOYS at number 2!!

The first half of the album is excellent but it tails off into a dull set of songs! Again, that is just my opinion!!

Yeah Turn Up the Sun and The Meaning of Soul were good tunes that contributed to the album, but Keep the Dream Alive and A Bell Will Ring are easily forgettable.

For what it's worth I'll also give a list.
    1. Definitely Maybe
    2. WTSMG
    3. Don't Believe the Truth
    4. Be Here Now
    5. Dig Out Your Soul (should be two places higher if based on the first 7 songs)
    6. SOTSOG
    7. Heathen Chemistry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Yeah Turn Up the Sun and The Meaning of Soul were good tunes that contributed to the album, but Keep the Dream Alive and A Bell Will Ring are easily forgettable.

For what it's worth I'll also give a list.
    1. Definitely Maybe
    2. WTSMG
    3. Don't Believe the Truth
    4. Be Here Now
    5. Dig Out Your Soul (should be two places higher if based on the first 7 songs)
    6. SOTSOG
    7. Heathen Chemistry

Keep the Dream Alive is a tune!

Keep the Dream Alive is a tune!

Good tune but a bit long!

Temaz wrote: »
    Good tune but a bit long!

Still though one of the better tunes one of the the new guys wrote, Who was was it Gem or Andy Bell?

I thought when the other two left (Guigsy and Bonehead) Oasis suffered a little, it was never meant to be a democracy, Noely wrote the tunes and that was it.

Turn up the sun is a hell of a tune. Andy Bell wrote that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭thesultan

Great intro to the that album

Advertisement