Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24hr petrol station on the R132

Options
  • 22-08-2010 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Has work started on this station yet, haven't been that way in awhile. Meant to be just south of the chuck wagon, across from the tesco distribution centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Davy wrote: »
    Has work started on this station yet, haven't been that way in awhile. Meant to be just south of the chuck wagon, across from the tesco distribution centre.

I know that building work has started but I'm not sure what it is. The vhuch wagon has been moved to the very end of the stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I know that building work has started but I'm not sure what it is. The vhuch wagon has been moved to the very end of the stretch.

Its gonna be a fairly big station with 2 storeys. Shop with a deli, sit-down dinging area, toilets, etc. Upstairs is meant to be a driver rest area, and a children's play area. Outside the forecourt is about 40 parking spaces and a few for trucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

So this is what's going to be built on a 5 mile stretch of road that already has 3 petrol stations, 2 of which are 24 hour.

I don't see the business sense here.

On the plus side it would appear that, from current state of the works, they are widening the road which is a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Actually I think only one is 24 hour, but I agree with your point. Especially since the existing one is that one you'll reach before the new one, if you were coming off from the M1. I wonder will the new one do much business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not to mention the two new service stations on the M1. A bit of competition may mean lower prices for us locals.

It does seem a bit much having six in such close proximity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

On the subject of these new service stations on the m1.
    Does anyone know when they are due to open? They look quite ready, and the one southbound already has electric price signs on the motorway. Not active yet though, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they are due to open? They look quite ready, and the one southbound already has electric price signs on the motorway. Not active yet though, obviously.

The Southbound one is due to open on the 1st of September. The Northbound one has been delayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

burger king is going into both of them too... :pac:

burger king is going into both of them too... :pac:

That's handy, but I'd give my kingdom for a Starbucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

That's handy, but I'd give my kingdom for a Starbucks.

Too bad, I believe it's going to be Costa Coffee. Starbucks in Fingal would be brilliant though... MMmhh MocchaCoffeeLatte!

Agreeing with above too - what's with the sudden overload of Petrol stations on such a short stretch! I know the 2 on the M1 have to be put in because of EU regulations but surely from a planning point of view this isn't the best approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    So this is what's going to be built on a 5 mile stretch of road that already has 3 petrol stations, 2 of which are 24 hour.

I don't see the business sense here
    They might be after the truck market. Truck are prohibited form using the ESSO at Blakes Cross and and they have to park on the hard shoulder at the Topaz at Lanistown which isn't ideal. A driver going towards Dublin on the M1 and who is running out of hours would like to have somewhere to legally stop to take a compulsary rest period.

PS - are they going to accomodate the Chuck Wagon in the new developments?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

sNarah wrote: »
    Too bad, I believe it's going to be Costa Coffee. Starbucks in Fingal would be brilliant though... MMmhh MocchaCoffeeLatte!

Agreeing with above too - what's with the sudden overload of Petrol stations on such a short stretch! I know the 2 on the M1 have to be put in because of EU regulations but surely from a planning point of view this isn't the best approach?

Isnt there a Starbucks in Malahide ? Down by the Marina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I don't see the business sense here.

On the plus side it would appear that, from current state of the works, they are widening the road which is a good thing.

Well Tesco has there dry grocery distribution across the road and Dunnes will be building a 61 bay distribution centre beside the 24hr service station I think that makes pretty good business sense for a service station with truck park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

mscull wrote: »
    Isnt there a Starbucks in Malahide ? Down by the Marina
    There is also one in the pavilions in swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

There is also one in the pavilions in swords.

in fact there used to be 2!!!!

None of those are particularly handy though (this thread has gone soooo far off topic, sorry OP). Malahide can be very hard to park in, and you dont want to have to park in the Pavillions just to get a decent coffee. It would suit me (and many more) to have one in the likes of these new stations so you can just nip in and grab one. As far as I have ever had, BB's, Costa, Insomnia, Cafe Sol, none of them hold a candle to Starbucks. Sure there must be 6 of them in Blanch!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Jaysus lads - This is a thread about petrol stations on the R132 - not coffee shops in Fingal. Back on topic please. :)

HB

Rubber necking is the term for the hold up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

so there will be the Apple station at Courtlough junction of M1,
    the new M1 stations,
    the Round towers station
    Blakes Cross station,
    the station on the dual carriageway by Lissenhall and now a new station and loads of new roads...
    I presume the roads are being paid for by the private company going to operate this low margin business, and not any council money is going to provide an already overprovided service.....

• Advertisement

so there will be the Apple station at Courtlough junction of M1,
    the new M1 stations,
    the Round towers station
    Blakes Cross station,
    the station on the dual carriageway by Lissenhall and now a new station and loads of new roads...
    I presume the roads are being paid for by the private company going to operate this low margin business, and not any council money is going to provide an already overprovided service.....

Low Margin!! I doubt that its low margin on the foodcourt side. The new service station will be a slightly different format geared for trucks. Your not going to drive to Courtlough then turn around and head back to Dublin Port, M50. The companies that run the service stations in the UK are very profitable stock exchange quoted companies. I presume the cost for the new road alterations on the R132 are shared between Dunnes and the service station.

Of interest is that Dunnes have awarded the UK firm Stobarts the contract to distribute from their new CDC beside the new garage. Stobarts already do the majority of distribution from the Tesco Depot across the road so a major blow to Irish haulage companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Corsendonk wrote: »

Of interest is that Dunnes have awarded the UK firm Stobarts the contract to distribute from their new CDC beside the new garage. Stobarts already do the majority of distribution from the Tesco Depot across the road so a major blow to Irish haulage companies.

i heard tesco were quietly letting their own drivers go so the could get stobarts to do all the work, dunnes already managed to put whelans out of business, and what will happen to allied foods??

edit: sorry miles off topic:o

we need a trucking forum:)

The Southbound one is due to open on the 1st of September. The Northbound one has been delayed.

Anyone know if this opened today?

Anyone know if this opened today?

Was not open at 6 this morning anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

This isn't opening until Monday 6th September according to a post on the Official NRA Motorway Service Areas Progress Thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67775941

Finally opened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Benjy wrote: »
    Finally opened today.

In case someone thinks the station was built over night, the station as per this thread isnt the one open, its the one on the m1 :pac:

Its actually the northbound one that is open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Is burger king open in it yet??

• Advertisement

Yep. Burger King, Costa Coffee & Applegreen Cafe all open.

Advertisement