Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Good news, even though I have my reservations about this being just another Cashel... ie: too small with nowhere near enough parking.

Update: Its ok, no-where near as good as the official ones on the M1 though.

Parking on a Sunday afternoon was about 2/3 full for cars, all the lorry spaces (of which there are loads I have to say) were empty. All of the petrol pumps were being used. Inside there is a shop and a Supermacs. There isn't enough seating. Its wasn't a particularly busy day yet there were only one or two spare tables, near the toilets.

It'll do me for when I need a wee on the way up to Dublin (Horse and Jockey on the way down is much nicer but too close to Cork). But its too small, has too little parking and will be over capacity very quickly. Its better than Cashel, but could be better.

Its called the Manor Stone Service Station, and has advertising for next doors Manor Stone Quarries everywhere. They may as well rename the junction "Manor Stone Quarry Interchange".

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Take some pictures when you pass next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Patww79 wrote: »
    there's no lack of them and theres no more than 20min to half hour on the road between them.
    Applegreen Birdhill J27 (40km-->) Obama plaza J23 (50km--->) Midway Portlaoise J17 (26km-->) Junction 14 Mayfield

but among all the random brown signs to highlight petrol pumps that villages a half hour from the motorway have (or had when the sign was put up), its hard to clearly tell the difference between unviable and viable stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭niloc1951

there's no lack of them and theres no more than 20min to half hour on the road between them.
    Applegreen Birdhill J27 (40km-->) Obama plaza J23 (50km--->) Midway Portlaoise J17 (26km-->) Junction 14 Mayfield

but among all the random brown signs to highlight petrol pumps that villages a half hour from the motorway have (or had when the sign was put up), its hard to clearly tell the difference between unviable and viable stops.

Something LIKE THIS is obviously not the The NRA's famous book of motorway signs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Something LIKE THIS is obviously not the The NRA's famous book of motorway signs :rolleyes:

Looks kinda like the NRA signs, maybe the wrong colour :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has Midway got the long proposed service station yet?

Its a good setup but its less than ideal without fuel.

In it now, I'd say it's marginally larger than the n11 site. Smaller than the onlines though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Stopped in at the one on the M8 at junction 3 over the weekend.. pretty impressive setup and quicker to get in/out of than the one at exit 8.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Stopped in at the one on the M8 at junction 3 over the weekend.. pretty impressive setup and quicker to get in/out of than the one at exit 8.
    Stopped on way to and from cork yesterday and today.
    It's a fine facility with a decent amount of truck and car parking(which I knew anyhow from the planning application)
    The layout is as per the planning. Signage isn't great and cars looking for parking ended up going through hgv and pump area seemingly by accident. I ended up doing 2 laps of the roundabout as it wasn't clear where the car parking was. Unlike in cashel though, at least there's a roadway to the car parking.
    The unit itself isn't massive and would probably be overwhelmed by a coach load landing during lunchtime. But for the 60 odd cars and few dozen trucks that there's parking for it's fine.
    There's a hot counter with the all day breakfast type thing, a salad bar and a supermacs / pizza counter. Over the other side a typical petrol station mini market with cash machine.
    All important for motorists making a pit stop, the topaz cappuccino is drinkable, supermacs barely so. The mrs had to break lent to add sugar to the supermacs coffee. I'll be sticking to the dearer topaz coffee the next time.
    Missing from the whole thing compared to other areas is a kiddies corner, but for a pit stop with kids the toilets are spacious and clean so that at least is there.
    Unfortunately there's next to no signage for it off the motorway, but it definitely deserves signage 1000 times more than the sham that is Cashel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

M18 offline service area turned down by Clare Co Co

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/hotel-forces-applegreen-motorway-plan-off-road-31071100.html
    ..The local authority refused planning permission to the development after a strident objection from Dromoland Castle Holdings against the plan.

The National Roads Authority (NRA) and the Ennis Chamber of Commece also raised concerns over the proposal.

In its objection, Dromoland stated that the proposed development would lead to the un-coordinated provision of such services on the M18 which would be contrary to the proper planning and development of the area.

The council ruled that the Applegreen plan would be contrary to the objectives of the development plan and to Ministerial guidelines.

It also stated that the proposal on unzoned land would endanger public safety due to it being a traffic hazard.

Applegreen have applied to build a full-scale* MSA as well as a new distribution centre (replacing Celbridge I'd imagine - two that close would be odd) and training centre at the old Cemex factory in Naas - beside The Ball.

*actually, bigger than full scale NRA spec it seems - two stories with a roof terrace, quiet zone, truck drivers lounge and a seperate drivethrough

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

L1011 wrote: »
    Applegreen have applied to build a full-scale* MSA as well as a new distribution centre (replacing Celbridge I'd imagine - two that close would be odd) and training centre at the old Cemex factory in Naas - beside The Ball.

*actually, bigger than full scale NRA spec it seems - two stories with a roof terrace, quiet zone, truck drivers lounge and a seperate drivethrough
    We're going from having no services to having services at every junction these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Lots of toilets on the road. Bring it on.
    Maybe you should see your doctor if you have such a bad bladder.

flazio wrote: »
    Maybe you should see your doctor if you have such a bad bladder.

It not us - it's our passengers have bladder issues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Stopped on the M8 N/B parking area briefly on the way back up from Tipperary yesterday (around J4 or J5 I think). The place smelled like a latrine

• Advertisement

Stopped at the Enfield Applegreen (eastbound) this evening; it looks great. Amazing how the trees have come on in just a few years.

I remember being there a week after it opened and it looked desolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

nordydan wrote: »
    Stopped on the M8 N/B parking area briefly on the way back up from Tipperary yesterday (around J4 or J5 I think). The place smelled like a latrine
    That's the dry weather for ya. Next the farmers will be giving out about the drought... ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »

Who are the JR Oronco Ltd?? Do they run any petrol stations themselves or are they going to be only developer and then lease the services to some proper operator?

What brand could we expect?

Directors of the firm seem to be involved in freight and transport industries, firm itself is founded in 2012 and its category is "development and selling of real estate".

L1011 wrote: »
    Directors of the firm seem to be involved in freight and transport industries, firm itself is founded in 2012 and its category is "development and selling of real estate".

In other words total novices in service areas sector. I wonder how it will all pan out

Geogregor wrote: »
    In other words total novices in service areas sector. I wonder how it will all pan out
    not quite :
    In terms of the submission in support of the proposed development, the
    Board will note that it is submitted on behalf of Topaz, prospective
    operator of the facility.
    from inspectors report from 3 months ago :
    http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/244/R244411.pdf

looking very good now coming from the south west with options the whole way from Limerick/ Cork to Dublin 15-25minutes apart when everythings built.

Not an official site amongst them

M7
    From M7/ M20/ N18 junction
    21km--> J27 Applegreen Birdhill
    40km--> J23 Obama plaza
    50km--> J17 Midway Portlaoise
    26km--> J14 Mayfield
    31km--> J9 Naas (proposed Applegreen)
    (M50 is 21km from J9 Naas)
    (Lusk M1 Services 54km from J9 Naas)

M8 (updated with refusal of J11 permission)
    From M8/ N25/ N40 Junction
    32km--> J14 Fermoy North (planning granted)
    33km--> J11 Cahir South (planning granted) UPDATE: CC permission overturned by Bord Pleanala
    54km--> J8 Cashel
    51km--> J3 Ballacolla
    25km--> (M7) J17 Midway Portlaoise
    26km--> (M7) J14 Mayfield
    31km--> (M7) J9 Naas (proposed Applegreen)

Was in the Applegreen at Coyne's Cross (non-official) on the M11 last night. Beautiful sheltered location, very well laid out.

Balmy night, lots of people eating outside.

Though I'd much prefer a SuperMac than the Burger King they have....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

looking very good now coming from the south west with options the whole way from Limerick/ Cork to Dublin 15-25minutes apart when everythings built.

M8
    From M8/ N25/ N40 Junction
    32km--> J14 Fermoy North (planning granted)
    33km--> J11 Cahir South (planning granted)

What is planned for Cahir South and Fermoy North? And where exactly are they to be sited?

Advertisement