Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

hi5 wrote: »
    Bicycle stands in a motorway service area, what about tractor parking?
    (Yeah, I know its off line:D)

Im surprised they dont put in Stables for the locals

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

rameire wrote: »
    Im surprised they dont put in Stables for the locals
    sure you can walk across the road from the halting site no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

When does Pat McD believe he'll have his M6 J16 station open? Passed by yesterday and saw the roof supports going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

flazio wrote: »
    When does Pat McD believe he'll have his M6 J16 station open? Passed by yesterday and saw the roof supports going up.

Before the Athlone/Moate on line MSA anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Anyone know when the Kilcullen Service area is to open???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

don't know they didn't even start building yet
    further down the road is really flying up at junction 7 (applegreen)
    DSC_0137[1].JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Anyone know when the Kilcullen Service area is to open???

Applegreen are contesting the award of the contract to Topaz, it’s to go to court before there will be a brick laid I’m guessing, annoying but I would rather see an Applegreen.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/applegreen-tedcastles-challenge-topaz-motorway-contracts-1.2317441

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Applegreen are contesting the award of the contract to Topaz, it’s to go to court before there will be a brick laid I’m guessing, annoying but I would rather see an Applegreen.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/applegreen-tedcastles-challenge-topaz-motorway-contracts-1.2317441

I think 90% of motorists in the country would rather see an Applegreen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

D Trent wrote: »
    I think 90% of motorists in the country would rather see an Applegreen

Why? Just curious as I use both mainly Applegreen due to locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Topaz is owned by a certain business man people do not like, also, Brian Cowen sits on the board of Topaz.

Politics aside, Applegreens are much nicer stations. They are cheaper for fuel, coffee is miles better and they offer good reward programs and most importantly...Many contain Burger Kings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Applegreen have sufficient parking, something some Topaz franchisers don't seem to understand...

Think all Applegreens are owned and operated rather than franchised so there's far less variance in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I think there's very little space between the forecourt and the parking immediately in front of the shop at M1 Lusk, or the M4 area. haven't been to the other ones. It's like the pumps were built about a yard too close to the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I think there's very little space between the forecourt and the parking immediately in front of the shop at M1 Lusk, or the M4 area. haven't been to the other ones. It's like the pumps were built about a metre too close to the building.

I was thinking the same thing last time I was there. Another metre or two would make a big difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Major beef here! :mad:

The "Manor Stone" off-line Service Station at J3 on the M8 has absolutely zero seats/benches/tables outside the rather mediocre building.

This is the only place I know where you can't have a coffee and a smoke sitting down.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Paulstown, Kilkenny MSS confirmed with Costa, Burger King (including drive-thru) and Subway as food operators.

http://www.newstalk.com/Jobs-Kilkenny-Applegreen-service-area-Junction-7-M9-Paulstown

Some photos I took today of the M6 J16 Kiltullagh works. Something I've noticed is a lot of cars Park around that junction for the day. They're currently on the ditch on the other side of the motorway but I'd be concerned they will start parking in the station taking up spaces for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

The M7 Mayfield Motorway Service Area has just been granted planning permission for the following:

• Extension, reconfiguration and part demolition of existing Motorway Services building to provide and extend the ground floor level and new first floor level resulting in an increase from 951sq.m to 1,785sq.m gross floor area.

Refer to planning number 15/144 on the Kildare County Council Online Planning portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Basically a doubling of floor area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well needed. Probably the most successful one in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

ongarboy wrote: »
    Paulstown, Kilkenny MSS confirmed with Costa, Burger King (including drive-thru) and Subway as food operators.

http://www.newstalk.com/Jobs-Kilkenny-Applegreen-service-area-Junction-7-M9-Paulstown

Paulstown opened a week ago and doing very well at J7. Today it's been announced that Topaz have got permission from Bord Pleanala for another Service Area at J5 only 18km away, despite objections from NRA. Seems a touch of overkill to me.
    http://kclr96fm.com/another-new-service-area-for-m9-motorway/

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Patww79 wrote: »

So, we can expect pictures soon? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Just drove around it, didn't go in but seems to be plenty of room.
    As you enter follow to your left and parking is around the back.
    Here's a few pictures....

Paulstown%201_zps5otibkw2.png

Paulstown%202_zps0d3u6h12.png

Paulstown%203_zpscoah4qiq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Motorway Service stations in general are confusing if you have never used one before.
    Rule number 1 is follow the road markings until you get to the bit you need and when leaving follow the exit signs... it works for me anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Used the new Paulstown Applegreen (off Junction 7 on the M9) on Christmas Eve and was very impressed by it. Different layout to the standard Applegreen's but good food options, lots of available seating and the staff were very friendly. Obviously as it was new it was very clean as well. Seemed to be a decent amount of parking as well but being Christmas Eve afternoon it was very quiet.

As I use the M9 quite a bit I think this will become my regular stop on that journey given that it's almost directly off the motorway so you don't lose much time getting to it.

• Advertisement

http://galwaybayfm.ie/kiltullagh-motorway-service-station-open-next-month/
    M6 J16 offline service station set to open on February 12th.

Advertisement