Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

hi5 wrote: »
    Motorway Service stations in general are confusing if you have never used one before.
    Rule number 1 is follow the road markings until you get to the bit you need and when leaving follow the exit signs... it works for me anyway:)

My number one rule is:

Pick a pump, any pump and queue at the pump, not at the entrance to the forecourt.

Friday night at Enfield is brutal for this. People won't take the risk of queuing behind a slow pumper so the queue backs up out the entrance so nobody can get in, even if they want to bypass the forecourt and park up for food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

While returning to Dublin from the south-west I continue to boycott the virtually unused offline at Rathdowney junction (J3) on the M8 and continue to the crowded J14 on the M7.

This is in an ongoing protest at the fact that they have no outdoor seating at the former...a bizarre oversight. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

While returning to Dublin from the south-west I continue to boycott the virtually unused offline at Rathdowney junction (J3) on the M8 and continue to the crowded J14 on the M7.

This is in an ongoing protest at the fact that they have no outdoor seating at the former...a bizarre oversight. :mad:

Rathdowney junction (J3)
    everytime I go passed it is packed,
    I have been in twice and it was jammers.
    not to sure it is unused.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    Rathdowney junction (J3)
    everytime I go passed it is packed,
    I have been in twice and it was jammers.
    not to sure it is unused.

I paid a flying visit yesterday (Friday) at approx 4.30pm and it was virtually empty; 20 minutes later J14 was jammed.

In the absence of statistics one can only go by one's observations - anecdotal as they are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

I paid a flying visit yesterday (Friday) at approx 4.30pm and it was virtually empty; 20 minutes later J14 was jammed.

In the absence of statistics one can only go by one's observations - anecdotal as they are ;)
    I called in during the Christmas.
    There were 4 or 5 people there.
    In the garden centre there was a group of girls singing hymns to no one in particular.
    A cruel wind blew acrsoss the car park and stinging rain.
    I have been in bleaker spots but just can't think of any right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Good one!

I posted an image as big as that once and a kind Moderator re-sized it for me :o

Now you couldn't mine? :o

I'm not sure how......

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Never realised there's a near exact copy of Obama Plaza at J16 on the M6. Didn't stop but it must be pretty new is it?

It's not even open a week. This one is Texaco however.
    Barack is Topaz

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Yeah I copped the Texaco on the way back along, from the signs it looks to be the only difference. Good news for myself as there's now 3 handy Texacos for my fuel card between Dublin and Galway.
    If one of them is a small service station off J15 Ballinasloe West, that changed to Applegreen a few months ago.

flazio wrote: »
    If one of them is a small service station off J15 Ballinasloe West, that changed to Applegreen a few months ago.

No he means Texaco N4 Lucan
    Kilmartins N6 Athlone
    And this new one Loughrea junction

Them's the ones. Kilmartins is a right spot, I'd never been in it until yesterday.

Trying to decipher whether that's a compliment or a derogatory observation and drawing a blank.

Compliment. Good shop and good deli with the added bonus of all the parking because of Woodies, etc beside it.

Deli in Kilmartins is a rip off imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any idea what's going on at the Cullenmore Applegreen on the n11. I noticed they were digging up part of the car park today, few machines in there so must be serious enough work?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Was on the M6 today and I see the Kiltullagh service area, the Galway Plaza, is now open at J16.

Looks very nice from the outside and surely renders the J17-J19 area pointless.

marno21 wrote: »
    Was on the M6 today and I see the Kiltullagh service area, the Galway Plaza, is now open at J16.

Looks very nice from the outside and surely renders the J17-J19 area pointless.
    Not really, if you're approaching Galway from the M17/M18, M18 in particular as there aren't any services on or off line then that station will be welcome.

Incidentally, has anyone been to the Galway Plaza? Any reports on whether the layout, parking, get around is good bad or indifferent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Not really, if you're approaching Galway from the M17/M18, M18 in particular as there aren't any services on or off line then that station will be welcome.

Apart from Galway city itself...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There's another Pat McDonagh plaza planned for J12 on the M18 (the Ennis/N85 exit).

Anyone using the M17 long distance will have all the non-bypassed areas after Tuam to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Forecourt garage in Adare has a sign for years saying it's the last petrol station for 170kms which was of course relevant for M7 users before Birdhill, Obama Plaza and Mayfield MSSs opened but I can't believe they still are allowed to display that sign now. It's simply misleading!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

ongarboy wrote: »
    Forecourt garage in Adare has a sign for years saying it's the last petrol station for 170kms which was of course relevant for M7 users before Birdhill, Obama Plaza and Mayfield MSSs opened but I can't believe they still are allowed to display that sign now. It's simply misleading!

It's still technically true as no online MSA's along the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Incidentally, has anyone been to the Galway Plaza? Any reports on whether the layout, parking, get around is good bad or indifferent?

Stopped there for petrol on Tuesday 22/03 and again on Thursday 24/03. Layout & parking were fine. Everything in order, no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Anybody have any info on the offline service station they are building on N11 at junction 12 Newtownmountkennedy. Not in any great rush to finish but always lads working away at it.
    There were big plans there before for motel, truck stop etc but not sure if that's still going ahead.

• Advertisement

Applegreen MSA planned for J11 on the M18 has been refused, not long after a Pat McDonagh plaza was refused @ J12.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/applegreen-refused-planning-for-dromoland-site-417244.html

Advertisement