Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone know of any place to get a coffee on the M7 (whole length) between 12am and 4am?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I would assume (but correct me if I'm wrong) that Birdhill, Obama Plaza and Mayfield would all have their shops open which would have coffee machines in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I would assume (but correct me if I'm wrong) that Birdhill (27), Obama Plaza (23) and Mayfield (14) would all have their shops open which would have coffee machines in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

in positive news, the Cashel topaz is about to go from a petrol station with barely enough parking spaces for staff, to something more user friendly.
    Work is to begin shortly on a major extension to Topaz Service Station and McDonalds in Cashel, creating up to 23 jobs in construction and more permanent jobs in catering and services thereafter.
    <snip>
    The works to be carried out include:
    - a single storey 90.3 sqm extension to the existing service station building to incorporate 24hr public toilets and shower facilities and a new storeroom;
    - a single storey 66.5 sqm extension to the existing McDonald’s restaurant building to incorporate new seating areas;
    - the realignment and raising of an existing access road;
    - relocation of the existing car wash facility;
    - relocation of the existing HGV fuel pump islands;
    - a new children's play area and refuse areas;
    - rearrangement of existing car parking and the provision of new parking areas to incorporate 86 car parking spaces, six bicycle stands, 8 motorbike parking spaces, 8 coach spaces and 20 HGV parking spaces.
    http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/home/213857/topaz-extension-to-create-23-cashel-jobs.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

in positive news, the Cashel topaz is about to go from a petrol station with barely enough parking spaces for staff, to something more user friendly.

http://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/home/213857/topaz-extension-to-create-23-cashel-jobs.html

Much better by the sound of it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Middle Man wrote: »
    Much better by the sound of it! :)
    we will see.
    I have zero trust in whoever runs that station judging by the pure hames they made of from the beginning

Grand, its a tight space, but even then the place is a catastrophe in the way its organised with zero signage to guide you to the few parking spaces there are (HGV/ drive thru are the signs you need to follow, and ignore again at the correct place, to find parking!)
    If I find planning documents I'll post them up later with the new proposed layout.

EDIT: heres whats planned so not too bad
    http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/15600414/0

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

An Bord Pleanala have refused Applegreen at Junction 6 on the M3 at Dunshaughlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Patww79 wrote: »
    Will someone else get it then or will we see none? An alternative to that mess on the N3 would be nice.

Transport Infrastructure Ireland are planning an online motorway service on that stretch of the M3.

• Advertisement

http://t4msa.ie/m3sa.html

I'm not surprised it was rejected. There's a similar situation with the M1 Lusk MSA being 2km from an Applegreen offline setup at J5 Balbriggan. They obviously don't want a repeat of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

marno21 wrote: »
    http://t4msa.ie/m3sa.html

I'm not surprised it was rejected. There's a similar situation with the M1 Lusk MSA being 2km from an Applegreen offline setup at J5 Balbriggan. They obviously don't want a repeat of that.

Who don't want a repeat? the Nra? Who built the online service area After the one at J5 was open and trading away?

yes I understand the story behind the two MSAs in Balbriggan

That may have happened, but it's understandable that they don't want it to happen a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I passed the construction site of the M9 Junction 5, Carlow N80, services today. Its progressing well, it should be open sometime in the spring I'd say.

http://www.eplanning.ie/CarlowCC/AppFileRefDetails/14342/0

hi5 wrote: »
    I passed the construction site of the M9 Junction 5, Carlow N80, services today. Its progressing well, it should be open sometime in the spring I'd say.

http://www.eplanning.ie/CarlowCC/AppFileRefDetails/14342/0

Should be open so ahead of the online service area near Kilcullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

big new Texaco service station being built right beside J12 on the N11, weird location considering the Applegreen services at J14. You can see the site here

EDIT: looking at Wicklow CoCo planning site, there's been a plethora of applications for that site, including a 100 bedroom hotel at one point, so I guess planning for this one predates the building of the Applegreen services. The latest is a retention application for the service station structures that have already been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

loyatemu wrote: »
    big new Texaco service station being built right beside J12 on the N11, weird location considering the Applegreen services at J14. You can see the site here

EDIT: looking at Wicklow CoCo planning site, there's been a plethora of applications for that site, including a 100 bedroom hotel at one point, so I guess planning for this one predates the building of the Applegreen services. The latest is a retention application for the service station structures that have already been built.

Picture of new garage, doesn't look like as much parking as Cullenmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Should be open so ahead of the online service area near Kilcullen.

Early in the new year I'd think. Forecourt looks to be flying up.

New Texaco just off N11 at junction 12 Newtownmountkennedy opening tomorrow.
    I know its not a motorway at this section but still good to see another option for services.
    Has a Daybreak shop and Bewleys cafe as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

Never caught sight of it being built at all, is it visible from the road?

Yeah, visible through the trees on the western side of the N11

Planning approved for service area near the N17/M17 roundabout on the Galway Rd out of Tuam.

http://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/02/14/4134882-bord-pleanala-gives-green-light-to-tuam-drivethru/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Topaz and McDonald's to open two new facilities on busy motorways http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/topaz-and-mcdonalds-to-open-two-new-facilities-on-busy-motorways-35465742.html

The M8 at Fermoy and the M9 at Carlow are both getting Topaz/McDonalds offline facilities.

Topaz/McDonalds to open two facilities at M8 J14 and M9 J5. McDonalds to be cosited as well. Hopefully there's more parking here than the shambles at M8 J8.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0220/853979-230-jobs-created-at-two-new-motorway-service-areas/

Two more service areas open ahead of the M6, M9 and M11 online ones. Scandalous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

The Fermoy one will be open by the autumn?

I remain to be convinced, bearing in mind that not a sod has been turned yet.

Topaz/McDonalds to open two facilities at M8 J14 and M9 J5. McDonalds to be cosited as well. Hopefully there's more parking here than the shambles at M8 J8.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0220/853979-230-jobs-created-at-two-new-motorway-service-areas/

Two more service areas open ahead of the M6, M9 and M11 online ones. Scandalous stuff.

The ones on the M9 at J 5 and J7 are effectively online as both are right at/on both junctions (there's no travelling further involved).
    I can't see all 3 being particularly viable as discussed already.

Why uncomfortable? Looks small but adequate no doubt for the location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

How is it more scandalous if an offline facility that does not drain the taxpayer and is as equally accessible to motorists and offers comparable services is built first on the same route? Coynes Cross (M11), Galway Plaza (M6) and Paulstown and now Carlow (M9) as well as Birdhill and Obama Plaza on M7 are all "offline" but are just as accessible and offer pretty much the same facilities that Lusk, Enfield and Castlebellingham onlines do. I think people are being pedantic if they think online is somehow better than some of these fantastic offline facilities being built (Birdhill is my personal favourite for my regular trips between Kerry and Dublin as it never feels too crowded and has everything you need).

I agree that the Cashel offering on the M8 is too offline and offers an inferior service (too little parking and not as accessible)

Advertisement