Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It would surely make sense for TII to develop the site into a full blown Motorway Service Area.

The dualling of the N4 and the N5 upgrades will likely bring extra traffic onto the route, and if there ever is to be a reclassification of this stretch of N4 to motorway it would make sense too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »
    It would surely make sense for TII to develop the site into a full blown Motorway Service Area.

The dualling of the N4 and the N5 upgrades will likely bring extra traffic onto the route, and if there ever is to be a reclassification of this stretch of N4 to motorway it would make sense too.

I can’t see it ever being made motorway, non motorway drivers coming from the downs interchange would have no access to mullingar

Circle K could easily make changes to the entrances to make it safer for entry especially the westbound entrance at Lidl and make a good services

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roadmaster wrote: »
    I can’t see it ever being made motorway, non motorway drivers coming from the downs interchange would have no access to mullingar

Circle K could easily make changes to the entrances to make it safer for entry especially the westbound entrance at Lidl and make a good services

A new link from the end of the old N4 near the Roadhouse as far as the end of the R156 near The Downs? It could be done alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

There's not plans to Dual any of the N5 are there ??

D Trent wrote: »
    There's not plans to Dual any of the N5 are there ??

No apart from Westport-Castlebar

I meant the dualling of the N4 .. and .. the N5 upgrades, my seperating wasn't clear enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

That's alright I was just gonna say that would be major overkill.
    Still really hoping they merge the Ck-on-Shannon bypass with an N5 spur to Frenchpark. Would save a lot of taxpayers money.

A new link from the end of the old N4 near the Roadhouse as far as the end of the R156 near The Downs? It could be done alright.

No doubt it could be done but it would be very expensive couple Kms of road due to the poor ground and over bridge needed .It’s nearly the same problem with the N6 in Athlone as well .You never know but what could happen in the future if they want full motorway access to the north west your idea would be the best . You should trademark lt!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Still really hoping they merge the Ck-on-Shannon bypass with an N5 spur to Frenchpark. Would save a lot of taxpayers money.

Thats a lengthy spur... but would make a tonne of sense and lose the woeful longford to ballagh n5.

I cant see it happening as itd make the n5 longford bypass redundant for long distance traffic

The 34km scheme to build a new N5 between Strokestown and Ballaghaderreen is with ABP. If it's rejected due to the archaelogical issues it could be restarted using a tie in to the N4 much further north. The NRA had this idea back in the day.
    Thats a lengthy spur... but would make a tonne of sense and lose the woeful longford to ballagh n5.

I cant see it happening as itd make the n5 longford bypass redundant for long distance traffic

The N5 Longford bypass was a fairly cheap scheme and will have paid itself off by the time any N5 upgrade opens. Plenty of N5 Longford type schemes have been made redundant: Enfield, Kinnegad, Loughrea, Mitchelstown, Cahir etc. A short extension to the N63 would make it reviable as a national route bypass, and it's useful as part of ring road for Longford itself. Lets not forget the new N4 Mullingar-Longford dual carriageway will make the N4 Longford bypass redunandt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No apart from Westport-Castlebar

I meant the dualling of the N4 .. and .. the N5 upgrades, my seperating wasn't clear enough :)

Just needed rephrasing." The dualling of the N4 and the upgrades to the N5" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Lets not forget the new N4 Mullingar-Longford dual carriageway will make the N4 Longford bypass redunandt.

Will it? Do you have a screenshot of the map? Wasn't aware

i am not sure if this is still the plan as its nearly 10 years old but this is from longford county council

http://www.longfordcoco.ie/Services/Roads/Roads-Documents/N4-Mullingar-to-Longford-Roosky-/Emerging-Preferred-Route-Brochure-May-2009.pdf

There was talk about this late last year but now its official supermacs have lodged planning for a new services just of the N4 in Longford. Could this be taking a bit of a risk on location especially if the M4 Mullingar- Longford is built, but it would still have the local trade and the N5 traffic

http://www.longfordcoco.ie/services/planning/planning-lists/2018/april/received.pdf

roadmaster wrote: »
    There was talk about this late last year but now its official supermacs have lodged planning for a new services just of the N4 in Longford. Could this be taking a bit of a risk on location especially if the M4 Mullingar- Longford is built, but it would still have the local trade and the N5 traffic

http://www.longfordcoco.ie/services/planning/planning-lists/2018/april/received.pdf

By the time that M4 scheme opens Pat McDonagh will have made more than what he invested back from it. He has other operations in areas to be bypassed by similar schemes in the NDP (N24 Tipp Town, N20 Mallow, N17 Charlestown). In fact his only safe plazas are the M6 and M7 plazas

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

The Fermoy one is opening on Thursday under the new Topaz name Circle K. However I don't believe the Mcdonalds is opening yet.
    Will be a dent in the revenue of the excellent service area already at Junction 14.

I was wondering alright what all the construction work and new roundabout near Moorepark were until I see the Circle K sign.
    There are few photos on this website:
    http://www.epda.ie/topaz-fermoy.html
    img-1352-2_orig.jpg
    img-1351-2_orig.jpg
    img-1354-2_orig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I wonder why McDonalds hasn't been developed here in Fermoy as it was announced over a year ago that it would, like with the Topaz partnership in Carlow where McD's is already open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ongarboy wrote: »
    I wonder why McDonalds hasn't been developed here in Fermoy as it was announced over a year ago that it would, like with the Topaz partnership in Carlow where McD's is already open.

The had a delay in the planning. From what I know originally the drive thru part got declaimed or an objection was made by a local business.
    It's meant to open later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How many years did Topaz take to build up brand knowledge and loyalty to it and its Re.Store approach after it in turn absorbed the Esso stations?

Topaz is a perfectly pleasant, modern, Irish only brand and yet these Canucks want to blow their first 20 mill on an unnecessary, confusing and frankly nasty rebranding which looks like a cross between Texaco and a border bandit country station from where the fuel would dissolve your engine.

If they were reintroducing a known brand like Shell or a brand known to the Irish from Europe like Gulf or Repsol, it would be one thing, but this is a terrible business decision in my view

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How many years did Topaz take to build up brand knowledge and loyalty to it and its Re.Store approach after it in turn absorbed the Esso stations?

Topaz is a perfectly pleasant, modern, Irish only brand and yet these Canucks want to blow their first 20 mill on an unnecessary, confusing and frankly nasty rebranding which looks like a cross between Texaco and a border bandit country station from where the fuel would dissolve your engine.

If they were reintroducing a known brand like Shell or a brand known to the Irish from Europe like Gulf or Repsol, it would be one thing, but this is a terrible business decision in my view

i think its part of a bigger plan. I believe they also bought statoil recently and they are going to roll Circle K out across Europe. In fairness the branding is very bland like something out of the eighties. I hope they drop there prices i felt Topaz re store prices where outrageous

here is a link to the statoil change

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2016/01/05/statoil-stations-soon-to-disappear/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Also if you look, the Topaz Miles logo is the same as the old Statoil logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭sidcon

Couche Tard who now own Topaz are rebranding all the sites to Circle K, this will make it a large multinational that's recognised in the the 20 countries they are in so far with over 15000 stores so far. They are being very aggressive in acquiring other businesses as well and don't just operate on Forecourts. The also don't plan to spend money in-store just forecourt and in-store is just replace Topaz/restore with the Circle K name.

There's an online service area opening at Dunshaughlin in the next 2 years so a station around there likely wouldn't get planning permission. Pat McDonagh applied for one near Ennis and was refused due to the forthcoming Newmarket service area

I see in todays SBP pat mcdonagh says he is reapplying for planning for the ennis plaza and is optimistic he will get it

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

As we know there is a new junction on M7 being built at Junction 9A along with the Naas-Newbridge widening to 6 lanes

Read there a new MSA Monread Fare opening Summer 2018 off the new 9A, i have copied the text of their press release as follows.

New Naas development Monread Fare is set to open in Summer 2018 creating over 40 new jobs in the area for both full time and part time staff.
    This state-of-the-art facility and will have 12 Texaco fuel pumps, seating for 50 people along with a Spar convenience store and deli, Papa John’s Pizza, The Chicken Guys and Insomnia cáfe with more exciting brands soon to be announced.

The new development is conveniently located across from the Monread shopping Centre and is the latest business venture for the Kildare based Lidon Group, who already run some very successful Service Stations including Junction 14 Mayfield, M3 Mulhuddart Services and Fitzpatrick’s New Lodge in Monasterevin, Co. Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    As we know there is a new junction on M7 being built at Junction 9A along with the Naas-Newbridge widening to 6 lanes

Read there a new MSA Monread Fare opening Summer 2018 off the new 9A, i have copied the text of their press release as follows.

New Naas development Monread Fare is set to open in Summer 2018 creating over 40 new jobs in the area for both full time and part time staff.
    This state-of-the-art facility and will have 12 Texaco fuel pumps, seating for 50 people along with a Spar convenience store and deli, Papa John’s Pizza, The Chicken Guys and Insomnia cáfe with more exciting brands soon to be announced.

The new development is conveniently located across from the Monread shopping Centre and is the latest business venture for the Kildare based Lidon Group, who already run some very successful Service Stations including Junction 14 Mayfield, M3 Mulhuddart Services and Fitzpatrick’s New Lodge in Monasterevin, Co. Kildare.

Unfortunately the New MSA at Monread Fare is not located beside Junction 9a, but nearly equidistant between jn 9a and jn 9 at the Large Tesco store in Monread Naas, but would probable be quicker to get to from Jn 9a. ( just for clarification )

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭sidcon

Patww79 wrote: »
    I see a Circle K going up beside that North Hotel up the M1 near Stamullen. When's it due open?

It's open a week now

• Advertisement

Advertisement