Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Patww79 wrote: »
    That Maxol on the N3 near Mulhuddart really is in an awful kip and horribly planned. They should never have got planning without widening roads and putting in roundabouts first.

I actually think its one of the better ones for grub and coffee far better then applegreens MSA's.

The problem is ,It has become a big attraction for builders working in the area and a a lot of people who are office based staff in that general area up in to ballycollin are coming to use the chopped.

So the actual motorist when they pull up parking is at a premium and there is big queues especially at lunchtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Patww79 wrote: »

It’s madness that it can’t be accessed from the N3 outbound. There is literally nothing on the N/M3 until you get to the County Cavan border. Very badly planned in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It’s madness that it can’t be accessed from the N3 outbound. There is literally nothing on the N/M3 until you get to the County Cavan border. Very badly planned in my view.

There are many who found the m3 redundant to needs. I think the half baked multi toll zero service outcome of the whole thing has been as much as could be expected. Its the only motorway of note that doesn't lead to a city from a city and can simply be classed as a commuter route.

I do agree it can be improved but cant see it being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There are many who found the m3 redundant to needs. I think the half baked multi toll zero service outcome of the whole thing has been as much as could be expected. Its the only motorway of note that doesn't lead to a city from a city and can simply be classed as a commuter route.

M4 doesn't quite make it to Sligo, heck it's even a few kms short of Mullingar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

M11 not city to city either

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The M3 is not just a commuter route to Navan and Kells, it’s the main artery to Cavan, Fermanagh and South Donegal from Dublin. It badly needs services.

flazio wrote: »
    M4 doesn't quite make it to Sligo, heck it's even a few kms short of Mullingar.

And many a motorist have found that out the hard way thanks to the local traffic corps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Larbre34 wrote: »
    How many years did Topaz take to build up brand knowledge and loyalty to it and its Re.Store approach after it in turn absorbed the Esso stations?

Topaz is a perfectly pleasant, modern, Irish only brand and yet these Canucks want to blow their first 20 mill on an unnecessary, confusing and frankly nasty rebranding which looks like a cross between Texaco and a border bandit country station from where the fuel would dissolve your engine.

If they were reintroducing a known brand like Shell or a brand known to the Irish from Europe like Gulf or Repsol, it would be one thing, but this is a terrible business decision in my view

What I don't get is why they wasted all that money rebranding Esso garages to Topaz only to be rebranded again as Circle K.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Stephen15 wrote: »
    What I don't get is why they wasted all that money rebranding Esso garages to Topaz only to be rebranded again as Circle K.

Because the weren't owner by the Canadians when Topaz did the re-brand.

• Advertisement

Because the weren't owner by the Canadians when Topaz did the re-brand.

Couche-Tard bought Topaz in early 2016. Esso rebrand to Topaz was done in 2016/17 when Couche-Tard had already completed the Esso takeover. Seems to me like a waste of money considering when Topaz first acquired Shell in 2005 and Statoil in 2006 the rebrand wasn't complete until 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They would have had a time period to get rid of the Esso branding and may not have settled entirely on the Circle K name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

very little wasted except a few plastic coverings which are cheap. The main cost of signage is in the fitting unit itself. Switching from Topaz to circle K is a relatively lowcost job on the more modern signage units.

TII are objecting to the supermacs plaza in longford i wonder do they plan services themselves on the new M4

http://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/longford/sexton-fumes-tii-objection-longford-plaza/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Latest article giving update on the TII Athlone MSA debacle. Article says MSA will be Circle K close to between athlone and moate, That must be M6 Junction 7 with a suggested opening June 2019.

I would have thought it too late as the Kilmartins food court, service area and Creggan Court Hotel at M6 Junction 8 already serves the MSA traffic in that region. Circle K also confirm their commitment to open the Gorey MSA. The last we heard from TII is that Gorey MSA fit out might start Mid 2018 for very late 2018 opening.

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/05/17/4156170-start-date-for-new-motorway-service-station-between-athlone-and-moate/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    I would have thought it too late as the Kilmartins food court, service area and Creggan Court Hotel at M6 Junction 8 already serves the MSA traffic in that region.

Stopped in Kilmartins two weeks ago, wont be stopping there again, place has gone down-hill big time.

BowWow wrote: »
    Stopped in Kilmartins two weeks ago, wont be stopping there again, place has gone down-hill big time.

Ok good to know, have not been there in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

CeilingFly wrote: »

very little wasted except a few plastic coverings which are cheap. The main cost of signage is in the fitting unit itself. Switching from Topaz to circle K is a relatively lowcost job on the more modern signage units.
    Actually it costs more than one might think. My cousin works for company involved in rebranding Statoil services to Circle K in Europe. We are talking about multi-million contracts. All those panels are bespoke and produced to order. They really don't come cheap. Oh, BTW, he has plenty of stories of waste ;)

• Advertisement

Monread Fare MSA across the the road from Monread Shopping Centre Naas M7 J9 is aiming to open this Friday June 1st 2018. I just had a look on their facebook page. Somebody check it out later in the week and report back. I wont be going by naas for a few weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/monreadfare/

http://monreadfare.ie/

First time I think I've seen a Papa John's pizza place without it being attached to a Supermacs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Monread Fare MSA across the the road from Monread Shopping Centre Naas M7 J9 is aiming to open this Friday June 1st 2018. I just had a look on their facebook page. Somebody check it out later in the week and report back. I wont be going by naas for a few weeks.

I presume same owners as Junction 14 Monasterevin?
    Basically all the same enterprises

I took a trip down to Naas yesterday to check out this new MSA. It is now open and just beside the Monread McDonalds Drive Thru. Had a grilled chicken meal deal (tasty). It was a fine place 5 mins drive from M7 J9. It will be 2 mins drive from from the new M7 J9A when build.

The drawbacks to Monread Fare are like other offline sites. Very limited parking and the building is small, a spar shop, limited seating (50 max people maybe) in food area. And limited seating for insomnia cafe area. But it has a nice shop, selection of food and cafe.

There is a greenfeild site beside the new MSA that could be used to expand car parking in the future (dont know if they own it or another).

It is a flawed new MSA but at least it is new and now open. It complements the Monread shopping centre accross the road. It was busy enough and should do well with commuter drivers to dublin or cork/ limerick travel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Applegreen are building at the Ballymacar exit of New Ross bypass :

Application Ref: 20180604
    Applicant: n/a
    Development Address: Arnestown, New Ross Rural
    Development Description: Permission for a petrol filling station; the proposed development includes the provision of four no. pump islands with canopy over, one no. pump island for hgv's (with canopy over), offset fills area, underground fuel storage tanks, shop building of 600 sq. m. (including shop/ retail sales area, ancillary off licence, food offers, ancillary service areas and drive-thru), seating, external play area; car, hgv and coach parking, bicycle spaces, car wash, signage, landscaping and all associated dev
    Application Received: 08/05/2018

http://dms.wexfordcoco.ie/application_maps.php?q=20180604

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone know a decent place for 24 hour coffee along the M1/M50/N7 near Dublin?

marno21 wrote: »
    Anyone know a decent place for 24 hour coffee along the M1/M50/N7 near Dublin?

Applegreen in Lusk and Swords or Circle K in City North likely do 24h coffee

McDonald's and Circle K just outside the airport as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

flazio wrote: »
    First time I think I've seen a Papa John's pizza place without it being attached to a Supermacs.

I would guess that there was some agreement with landowner as mcdonalds is next door and on the same site.
    "The Chicken Guys" is the same product as supermacs chicken menu, so effectively its a supermacs without beefburgers :)
    I took a trip down to Naas yesterday to check out this new MSA. It is now open and just beside the Monread McDonalds Drive Thru. Had a grilled chicken meal deal (tasty). It was a fine place 5 mins drive from M7 J9. It will be 2 mins drive from from the new M7 J9A when build.

The drawbacks to Monread Fare are like other offline sites. Very limited parking and the building is small, a spar shop, limited seating (50 max people maybe) in food area. And limited seating for insomnia cafe area. But it has a nice shop, selection of food and cafe.

There is a greenfeild site beside the new MSA that could be used to expand car parking in the future (dont know if they own it or another).

It is a flawed new MSA but at least it is new and now open. It complements the Monread shopping centre accross the road. It was busy enough and should do well with commuter drivers to dublin or cork/ limerick travel

I think its very much targeted to the local area and the millenium business park. During the day, with local traffic, it could take 15 minutes to get there.

There is a longer term plan for a massive applegreen service area at the old cement pipe site opposite the ball. Planning was applied for but withdrawn at last minute and a new application is due to be submitted

Advertisement