Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,681 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just think they aren't getting the customers from Fermoy/Mitchelstown and that's why they keep advertising in the local paper. Ambers €5 and Hillbillys are popular in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Limerick74

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I only noticed a new structure going up on the Naas Road eastbound (not quite the M7,I know!) adjacent to that tiny petrol station near Rathcoole. I assume that the structure is a new service station to replace the old one? No harm if it is and hopefully much safer access and exiting lanes will be built as part of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

ongarboy wrote: »
    I only noticed a new structure going up on the Naas Road eastbound (not quite the M7,I know!) adjacent to that tiny petrol station near Rathcoole. I assume that the structure is a new service station to replace the old one? No harm if it is and hopefully much safer access and exiting lanes will be built as part of it too.

Very large service area being built there. When complete it will include hotel, restaurants, meeting facilities and the service station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Pulled into the Carlow exit station recently. I feel it needs a much better seating plan. Hard to find a seat in the place to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Our friend pat the MSA baker says he is being blackmailed over some of his planning applications. See article here

https://connachttribune.ie/pat-mcdonagh-says-he-has-been-blackmailed-over-a-number-of-planning-applications/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    Our friend pat the MSA baker says he is being blackmailed over some of his planning applications. See article here

https://connachttribune.ie/pat-mcdonagh-says-he-has-been-blackmailed-over-a-number-of-planning-applications/

That's quite prevalent and something that councils need to look at.

Spurious objections made to your application, then you get a call from someone who says they can get the objection withdrawn for a fee. Done in a very off the cuff way so that there's little proof.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ongarboy wrote: »

This is most definitely not a motorway services area. It will be 3km from both J3 and J4 of the N18 and is practically in the city.

It is only a few hundred meters from three other petrol stations and drive thru Supermacs and McDonalds, which are all closer to J3 that this is. I honestly can't see how he thinks it will be successful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is most definitely not a motorway services area. It will be 3km from both J3 and J4 of the N18 and is practically in the city.

It is only a few hundred meters from three other petrol stations and drive thru Supermacs and McDonalds, which are all closer to J3 that this is. I honestly can't see how he thinks it will be successful.

It will be useful for toll dodgers and match traffic on matchdays at the 2 stadiums over that direction

Mcdonald's in Fermoy is meant to open in December!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Pity, cos it was always grand and quiet for a stop.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Pity, cos it was always grand and quiet for a stop.

It seen as a joke locally at how quiet it is!

It seen as a joke locally at how quiet it is!

It'll be wall to wall screaming monsters now. Was great being able to run in for a burrito in peace.

They really do need it from a business point of view though. Without it they'd probably be gone this time next year.

Mcdonald's in Fermoy is meant to open in December!

https://avondhupress.ie/mcdonalds-on-its-way-to-fermoy/

Media confirming it also. The drive thru element was refused by the council.

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/portlaoise-/346385/laois-ideally-located-as-dublin-bubble-will-burst-says-supermac-s-founder-pat-mcdonagh.html

Work to begin on Portlaoise Plaza at M7 J17 within 6 months.

This will be very handy for M8 traffic especially.

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/portlaoise-/346385/laois-ideally-located-as-dublin-bubble-will-burst-says-supermac-s-founder-pat-mcdonagh.html

Work to begin on Portlaoise Plaza at M7 J17 within 6 months.

This will be very handy for M8 traffic especially.

How are Applegreen allowing that to happen and why do we need two opposite each other?

How are Applegreen allowing that to happen and why do we need two opposite each other?

This is how they are on the M1 as well from what I remember. They are Applegreen/Burger King and I think Costa. I'm unsure to be honest.

I know when I was in the UK they had a similar set up and it was because there was no bridge so there was need for them at both sides.(From what I remember.)

Fermoy McDonald's is opening the 12th of December!

• Advertisement

This is how they are on the M1 as well from what I remember. They are Applegreen/Burger King and I think Costa. I'm unsure to be honest.

I know when I was in the UK they had a similar set up and it was because there was no bridge so there was need for them at both sides.(From what I remember.)

They're both the same brand and don't have a flyover for access on the M1. Surely Applegreen could object to this being across the road from Midway.

Though anyway, more the better for us.

_

Fermoy McDonald's is opening the 12th of December!

I was in it yesterday and the Cantina in it looked to be shut down altogether. Whole place might take off better once the McD's moves in.

I was in it yesterday and the Cantina in it looked to be shut down altogether. Whole place might take off better once the McD's moves in.

Is McDonald's going into the same place as Topaz or is it a stand alone one like Cashel?

Is McDonald's going into the same place as Topaz or is it a stand alone one like Cashel?

I'd say it's going in the J14 Circle K down in the right corner beside Cantina. It looks exactly like the layout of the one at J5 on the M9 which has the McDonald's already in. Tinryland has a drive thru though and I don't think Fermoy is getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Major revamp new premises at Odonnells in Cahir opening next month.

Major revamp new premises at Odonnells in Cahir opening next month.

Is that the Texaco? Seen a lot of work going on round it in the summer.

Is that the Texaco? Seen a lot of work going on round it in the summer.

From what I know yes
    It's going to be a Daybreak.

From what I know yes
    It's going to be a Daybreak.

Regularly have to swing off the motorway into there for diesel as places that take a Fast Fuel card are few and far between on the M8. Hopefully the fuel brand doesn't change (or if it does then hopefully Maxol).

Article in today's Sunday Business Post that Pat McDonagh is planning the Portlaoise Plaza, the Ennis &a Longford ones and "two more in the Midlands and one in Co. Cork"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Portlaoise is a go I believe. Can't believe I'm saying this but surely the M7/8 is getting a bit over saturated with these things now.

Advertisement