Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Official, Offline Motorway Services in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

M8 Fermoy McDonald’s have received planning for their drive thru!

Speaking of McDonalds, and I can’t find the online thread, has there been some objection to the one in the Gordy services?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

RTE news : Supermac's gets planning for M18 motorway plaza

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1218/1185361-supermacs-gets-planning-for-m18-motorway-plaza/

Seemingly Ennis Chamber of commerce objected to the business they'll lose in the town. Do they seriously think motorway users from Munster to Connaught would add an hour to their journey to drive into a bottleneck like Ennis for a coffee or burger? The tiny minority that might is negligible impact. While I prefer Applegreen services to Supermacs, it's still a welcome addition to the national motorway network of facilities.

Applegreen have really let standards slip in a lot of their services around the country I’ve noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ongarboy wrote: »
    RTE news : Supermac's gets planning for M18 motorway plaza

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1218/1185361-supermacs-gets-planning-for-m18-motorway-plaza/

Seemingly Ennis Chamber of commerce objected to the business they'll lose in the town. Do they seriously think motorway users from Munster to Connaught would add an hour to their journey to drive into a bottleneck like Ennis for a coffee or burger? The tiny minority that might is negligible impact. While I prefer Applegreen services to Supermacs, it's still a welcome addition to the national motorway network of facilities.

More like they're worried the locals will see it as a place for a day out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If I'm on that road, the only detours I'd do would be to the Shannon McDonald's/Circle K or the Clarecastle Maxol at the end of the N65 link road. Wouldn't bother going further into town.
    I have to agree that official online Applegreens have gotten a bit dingy of late. They've all but ruined Midway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Applegreen have really let standards slip in a lot of their services around the country I’ve noticed.

Can you provide details? I use m9, n7, birdhill and lemybrien services frequently and they are as good as they've always been. No changes of note.

I also use midway on M7 and it's umpteen times better than it was before applegreen.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Can you provide details? I use m9, n7, birdhill and lemybrien services frequently and they are as good as they've always been. No changes of note.

I also use midway on M7 and it's umpteen times better than it was before applegreen.

Coynes Cross has become really run down, messy, and dirty for a fair while now. Paulstowns toilets are a disgrace, absolutely rancid smell and half the sinks and hand dryers don’t work. They’ve lost food vendors that they haven’t replaced too.
    There’s probably not much point in pointing them out if you think the likes of Birdhill is in decent condition though. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned since last Christmas.

M8 Fermoy McDonald’s have received planning for their drive thru!

Where exactly will this be located?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

There’s probably not much point in pointing them out if you think the likes of Birdhill is in decent condition though. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned since last Christmas.

Birdhill male toilets regularly have water on the floor and generally feel unclean. Don't get me started on the upside down hand dryers that often blow water droplets into your face (which feels a lot ickier in covid times). And to say that Applegreen's own coffee is the worst on the road is to be kind. It's the only reason I can stomach going for rip-off Costa instead. Having said all that I greatly appreciate the free EV charging!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Kevtherev1 wrote: »
    It is two years now since we last heard any update as regards Mullinavat
    M9 J11 motorway services. Somebody should email TD John McGuinness to find out if he heard any news.

https://beat102103.com/news/new-m9-service-station-development-set-for-county-kilkenny/

Can someone confirm if construction has started for Mullinavant Services Area at M9 Junction 11 yet. Applegreen offering

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Any plans for a motorway service station at the M17/M18/M6 interchange? Too close to the existing Galway Plaza?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There was a plan to have one, but ABP kicked it to the kerb for traffic reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

McDonald’s Fermoy are recruiting for jobs for the drive-thru.

yew_tree wrote: »
    Any plans for a motorway service station at the M17/M18/M6 interchange? Too close to the existing Galway Plaza?

After they let him build right beside Midway then there should be no ‘too close’ any more.

Also, on the same services, how can a brand new setup like that not have pay at pump? It makes using the food services so awkward that I normally just drive on.

That's a surprise, two of the pumps in Galway are pay at pump. The ones on the furthest right as you come under the canopy. I would have assumed that all plazas are the same.

The new fuel seems to be quite a problem. I see reviewer Bob Flavin seems to have trouble getting a fast charge off the electric charge points whenever he's over there.

flazio wrote: »
    That's a surprise, two of the pumps in Galway are pay at pump. The ones on the furthest right as you come under the canopy. I would have assumed that all plazas are the same.

The new fuel seems to be quite a problem. I see reviewer Bob Flavin seems to have trouble getting a fast charge off the electric charge points whenever he's over there.

I must have another check as I normally keep left driving in, so there may well be a couple. They should all be though like J14 has in this day and age really. Pay@pump - fuel - park - shop is so much handier than fuel - pay - out - park - shop.

To their credit, an AdBlue pump that’s not buried out with the artics is great to see though.

New services being constructed at M7 Junction 13 - southern side.

Not a big services - seems to be about the size of the Jct8 M8 Cashel services.

For Pete sake, surely somebody at TII or the relevant Co Co realises the M7 has enough of them now.

In fairness, the plaza at 17 proved that it’s a free for all currently anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and none of them on the m17/18, only 4 on the M4/6, not overly familiar with the M1 or M3 so I won't pass comment there, definitely none on the M2 and M20 however :p

The M3 has nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

For Pete sake, surely somebody at TII or the relevant Co Co realises the M7 has enough of them now.
    You would imagine that to be the case, one at j13 is probably over kill .
    Apple green still own the site across road from junction 14 mayfield and more than likely will be looking for planing again with a bit of change to the planing that was refused last year.

It's probably targeted to the locals and also the thousands heading to Kildare village outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No sign of anything going on on the M9 at Mullinavat- yet anyhow. Definitely a need for one between Kilkenny and Waterford

I see Pat McDonagh is putting up another Plaza in Tuam just off the roundabout where the M17 becomes the N17 Tuam bypass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ideally would have them at every junction. No harm having overcapacity. Only ones suffering are the individual places having to compete on price.

More of them please

Anything going on at Mullinavat on the M9?

Kilkenny is another weak spot with nothing on either N10 link approach or junctions. Was something planned but came to nothing near McDonald’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

That J8 McDonalds (end of Hebron Rd) is far too far away from M9 to be services: it’s a 6 km drive from J8 to the site, and if you need fuel, it’s another kilometre and a half from there.

• Advertisement

Yea but it would be more local area and pre/post joining the motorway traffic rather than anyone coming off the motorway specifically for it. Don’t have traffic figures for the N10 but it and the N77 are busy roads

Advertisement