Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvard Reference style/question

Options
  • 22-08-2010 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

hiyall,

Have something due tomorrow for MA and I have to sort my references out.
    We have to use the harvard style.

Just a few questions on this:

1. If I use info from the same book say 3/4 times, do I have to write the reference at the end 3/4 times with page numbers?

2. Does harvard reference use page numbers?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I've used the following

If you are using a referencing tool like End Note, then you should be able to just click on the appropriate reference and it will do it for you- it should appear similar to this:
    Cicero(2010) - so in answer to your first question, one reference to the book in question in the bibliography is enough, but obviously you will be placing the reference throughout the document at any point where you are referencing the book in some way- however, it will still only ever appear once in the bibliography.

However, if you are quoting passages from the book, then you should insert the page numbers in the document itself, where the quote was taken from (and obviously have the quote in parenthesis) i.e.
    "an apple a day" Cicero (2010 p.22-27)

best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

dellas1979 wrote: »
    hiyall,

Have something due tomorrow for MA and I have to sort my references out.
    We have to use the harvard style.

Just a few questions on this:

1. If I use info from the same book say 3/4 times, do I have to write the reference at the end 3/4 times with page numbers?

2. Does harvard reference use page numbers?

Thanks!

1. No. The citation for the book goes in your bibliography once, you should cite your quotations in-text with page number according to the format. 2. Yes, in the text only, unless entering a chapter from an edited edition in your bibliography, or journal article

Advertisement