Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home wireless LAN using 2 routers - is it possible ?

Options
  • 22-08-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

hi Folks,

I have a spare netgear router and a desktop with no wireless card.

can I use the spare router as a hub to connect the desktop to the main router over wireless.

cheers,
    Gollem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

It depends, hardware wise there is nothing stopping you, however the firmware on the router may not support operating in this fashion (probably won't tbh). If your router is one of the versions supported by open firmware like dd-wrt then you could put that onto it and it should definetly work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Knasher wrote: »
    It depends, hardware wise there is nothing stopping you, however the firmware on the router may not support operating in this fashion (probably won't tbh). If your router is one of the versions supported by open firmware like dd-wrt then you could put that onto it and it should definetly work then.

thanks for your response

what router would I need to put dd-wrt on

the spare one ?

the router that is currently part of my wireless setup ?

or both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

It would need to go on the spare router that you are planning on bridging to your network. You shouldn't have to make any changes to your actual router if you don't want to.

Advertisement