Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fulham vs. Manchester United

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Really??, Chicho is a new player for heavens sake and will be a decent player imo.

Thanks for twisting my words.

He had a bad game, new player or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

How strange, people have stopped going on about Hernandez since it's not preseason anymore.

Thought Zamora was class today, as he was for big parts of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

It's very hard to see how anyone will stop Chelsea, even this early into the season.

Jonny Evans badly exposed by Zamora but then again Zamoraa is a handful for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

baz2009 wrote: »
    Thanks for twisting my words.

He had a bad game, new player or not.
    I disagree. He made some brilliant runs and was not picked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bobby Zamora was excellent today. He just gets better and better whenever i see him play.

Ush1 wrote: »
    How strange, people have stopped going on about Hernandez since it's not preseason anymore.

He hasn't been great - what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

adox wrote: »
    How the **** can any team be out of sight by mid Septmeber?

Do you remeber how Chelsea started their campaigns when they won back to back titles?
    They were well ahead by then, and by xmas they were strolling to the title.
    The year after United did the same thing and had the league wrapped up by easter.
    It's hard to envisage anyone playing to the same level as Chelsea this season, it's their title by a mile, unless the wheels come off in spectacular fashion. Their opening five fixtures were a joke, all easy wins, I'll confidently say that they'll slaughter each of their next three opponents.
    I'm just glad I'm not a Liverpool fan, what an opening to the season for them, Arsenal then City, bound to be a tasty encounter, while poor auld Chelsea have to struggle against the likes of Stoke West ham and Blackpool next. These fixtures could, and appear to be handing Chelsea a nice advantage in the league already.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Really??, Chicho is a new player for heavens sake and will be a decent player imo.

New player or not, he still had a shocker. Was more or less anonymous for the whole game. But as you implied, he will improve and get used to the English game. But doesn't take away that he had a shocker.

Nani needs to be relieved of any set piece duties, he's just complete muck, and as I said in another post, whether its a free kick, corner or penalty, he is constantly hitting the wall or the first man or the goalkeeper (as we saw today).

As soon as I saw him stepping up today, I let out a huge sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

It's very hard to see how anyone will stop Chelsea, even this early into the season.

Jonny Evans badly exposed by Zamora but then again Zamoraa is a handful for everyone.

Thought Vidic would have picked him up, seemed strange for him to leave the more inexperienced player to deal with Fulham's main threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

huh

maybe the whole 15 mins he played before today wasn't worth talking about?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

He hasn't been great - what's your point?

There was a fierce wankfest before he stopped being great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

How is it strange? He had a quite game didn't do much but the majority of Uniteds problems today were further back. Or are you just looking to stoke it up?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I disagree. He made some brilliant runs and was not picked out.

He didn't make the most of it at all when he was picked out, though.

adox wrote: »
    How is it strange? He had a quite game didn't do much but the majority of Uniteds problems today were further back. Or are you just looking to stoke it up?

Strange because some people were convinced he would instantly score lots of goals and be a success.

I agree about the majority of problems being further back, but I only caught the second half of the game.

Strange because some people were convinced he would instantly score lots of goals and be a success.

I agree about the majority of problems being further back, but I only caught the second half of the game.

and you're saying he won't be a success based on what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Two games into the season. He's played maybe 90 minutes in those two games.

That's because he was playing very well.
    Jaysus you really don't cover yourself in glory when you try to spout shíte about United do ya?

ntlbell wrote: »
    and you're saying he won't be a success based on what?

I never said he won't be a success.:rolleyes:

°°°°°

I don't think he wasn't expected to be an instant goal machine, but a decent performance would have been nice.
    It looks like we're deluding ourselves regarding the strength of the squad we have, we look way off the pace.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Me too, very poor height on the shot that gave the keeper every chance.

I never said he won't be a success.:rolleyes:

well for me and everyoen else, can you make a point about the guy?

or are you just making random statments?

That's because he was playing very well.
    Jaysus you really don't cover yourself in glory when you try to spout shíte about United do ya?

Bit of stupid wankfest then really when it was all preseason?

Aww, are ya a bit upset after drawing.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Dreadful remark.

nullzero, you have to be the most pessimistic person I've ever heard/read.

WC is hardly preseason.

Nope - justpointing out that you're full of shíte.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I think that award goes to the monkey.

well for me and everyoen else, can you make a point about the guy?

or are you just making random statments?

Umm, I'll tell you what, I'll make a general statement for all new signings that score lots in preseason. They might be a good signing, they might not be, pre season scoring means jack sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

nullzero wrote: »
    Stupid thing to be seeing from a mod.
    Why? If it was not team bias then thinking that the penalty decision was a correct one suggests that the person does not know the laws of the game. That is my opinion and I will stand by it. How many other people think that the pen decision was a correct one based on the laws of the game?

Law 12 clearly states that a Direct Free Kick should be awarded to the opposing team if a player handles the ball DELIBERATELY (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area.)

A penalty kick is awarded if a defending team player deliberately handles the ball inside his own penalty area (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area).

Deliberate handball means that a player intentionally moves his hand or arm towards the ball, and could have avoided touching the ball, but decided not to. It is unfairly done to prevent an opponent from gaining possession of the ball, because the perpetrator is unable to play the ball in any other way - and therefore stops or deflects the ball by the use of one, or both hands or arms, punches it, or catches it.

That flew at him, bounced off his knee and hit his had. He did not have time to move his had out of the way and never expected the ball not to be under control when he tried to take it on his knee.

So again I say, that the only excuse that I believe anybody could have for thinking that the penalty decision was a correct one was that they do not understand the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

New player or not, he still had a shocker. Was more or less anonymous for the whole game. But as you implied, he will improve and get used to the English game. But doesn't take away that he had a shocker.

Nani needs to be relieved of any set piece duties, he's just complete muck, and as I said in another post, whether its a free kick, corner or penalty, he is constantly hitting the wall or the first man or the goalkeeper (as we saw today).

Nani should not have taken the penalty IMO but as far as set pieces go, he is the best we have by a country mile.

Me too, very poor height on the shot that gave the keeper every chance.

Exactly. I mean even when players like Park or Valencia step up, I'm as equally unsure on whether they'll put it away and at least you know that if they miss its usually out of character, but there's just this inevitable disappointment with Nani when he's left with an important job to do.

• Advertisement

excuse people getting ecited about a kid scoring goals on the biggest footballing stage.

and knocking in goal after goal in a good pre-season:rolleyes:

Dreadful remark.

Why's that exactly Manc-Red?

You don't think people were perhaps slightly expecting too much of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Does anyone know the song that was just played there at the end of the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

killwill wrote: »
    Nani should not have taken the penalty IMO but as far as set pieces go, he is the best we have by a country mile.
    Giggs is vastly better.

°°°°°

Nah, just realistic.
    It's the way the game is now, start the season poorly, especially with Chelsea doing what they're doing at the moment and you're making life hard for yourself.
    Had we scraped a win today I would have been delighted, the bottom line is the 3 points, when you're not managing that you're in trouble.
    We missed out on the league by a point last season, how many stupid mistakes cost us an easy title win?

Glazers Out!

Umm, I'll tell you what, I'll make a general statement for all new signings that score lots in preseason. They might be a good signing, they might not be, pre season scoring means jack sh*t.

Super, I hope we don't ever lose your fascinating insight into football, it would be a huge loss here.

killwill wrote: »

Giggs, Valencia and Berbatov are far better than Nani at set pieces. Even laying the ball of to Scholes at a free-kick is more reliable than Nani.

Do you remember some of Berbatov's free kicks for Spurs? Some of them were a pure joy to watch.

Sure even Park can hit a fairly good free kick from time to time.

Nani is just constantly sub-par.

°°°°°

Why? If it was not team bias then thinking that the penalty decision was a correct one suggests that the person does not know the laws of the game. That is my opinion and I will stand by it. How many other people think that the pen decision was a correct one based on the laws of the game?

Law 12 clearly states that a Direct Free Kick should be awarded to the opposing team if a player handles the ball DELIBERATELY (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area.)

A penalty kick is awarded if a defending team player deliberately handles the ball inside his own penalty area (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area).

Deliberate handball means that a player intentionally moves his hand or arm towards the ball, and could have avoided touching the ball, but decided not to. It is unfairly done to prevent an opponent from gaining possession of the ball, because the perpetrator is unable to play the ball in any other way - and therefore stops or deflects the ball by the use of one, or both hands or arms, punches it, or catches it.

That flew at him, bounced off his knee and hit his had. He did not have time to move his had out of the way and never expected the ball not to be under control when he tried to take it on his knee.

So again I say, that the only excuse that I believe anybody could have for thinking that the penalty decision was a correct one was that they do not understand the game.

I wasn't debating the penalty, I was surprised that you'd make a childish remark like you did at the end of your post.

Glazers Out!

Nah, just realistic.
    It's the way the game is now, start the season poorly, especially with Chelsea doing what they're doing at the moment and you're making life hard for yourself.
    Had we scraped a win today I would have been delighted, the bottom line is the 3 points, when you're not managing that you're in trouble.
    We missed out on the league by a point last season, how many stupid mistakes cost us an easy title win?

And chelsea won't go anywhere away from home and only leave with a point?

this is nonsense talk fuled by the likes of sky.

wigan and west brom hardly world beaters now

WC is hardly preseason.

Nope - justpointing out that you're full of shíte.:)

What did I say that was sh*te. Tell me exactly?

Mexico is a different team than United though isn't it? Can be totally different for a club on a different continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Craven cottage has been a bogey Ground for us in the last couple of years, so I'm delighted to get out with a point

°°°°°

And chelsea won't go anywhere away from home and only leave with a point?

this is nonsense talk fuled by the likes of sky.

wigan and west brom hardly world beaters now

I agree, but Chelsea have Stoke, West Ham and Blackpool next.
    I'd expect them to build up a healthy lead there.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Does anyone know the song that was just played there at the end of the show?
    Renegades by feeder.

excuse people getting ecited about a kid scoring goals on the biggest footballing stage.

and knocking in goal after goal in a good pre-season:rolleyes:

Don't mind me, you're excused but hey, keep getting excited over preseasons goals, they count for lots.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Its a long season and Chelsea won't continue to score 6 goals a game. I'm sure they'll dip at some point. The problem is United need to be within touching distance when that happens.

No shame in a draw away to Fulham. Their a good side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Buck up from what exactly? The fantastic form he finished last season with?

Agreed. And I thought he played well today considering.

Super, I hope we don't ever lose your fascinating insight into football, it would be a huge loss here.

Wish I could say the same.

I agree, but Chelsea have Stoke, West Ham and Blackpool next.
    I'd expect them to build up a healthy lead there.

who cares who they have next, everyone plays 38 games all against the same teams, it's irrelvant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I thought Evans was woeful today totally outclassed by zamora, Vidic was OK but he has a bit to go to get back to his best. The defence looked very shaky when Fulham attacked, Evra could also have done better when Duff beat him for the first goal. As for Chico he needs time, its a huge step up from the Mexican league, but I'm sure he'll be ok. I remember Nani's peno at the aviva and it was pretty poor but he wasnt against a good keeper so he scored, i don't like stuttery run ups. Pick your side before you run up and bury it into the bottom corner.

• Advertisement

Don't mind me, you're excused but hey, keep getting excited over preseasons goals, they count for lots.:rolleyes:

your right, world cup is nothing.

Advertisement