Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lower league you watch out for

• 22-08-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, I've not started a thread here before, I did search but mods feel free to merge or close if this is a duplicate

Do you have a lower league team you watch out for and check the results every week?
    A team that you will probably never go to see but you are fond of them. And the reason you got attached to them probably sounds stupid to others.

Well to start I always watch for Cambridge United who played league football until a few years ago, now in the Conferance but a good change of League Two promotion in next few years.

I used to buy Championship Manager and their team was mega, I always picked this team.
    Even current Premiership players like Jody Craddock played for them.

Their website is fantastic, better then many larger clubs.
    However, their jersey is one the uglist around...imo of course
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZOQhrmXOXifV6brvT6FH4gJ1mUgh1QerhWXGcMJswT5CubFc&t=1&usg=__Vb_k8kqKOtvco4lf3pNMs51uTLE=

But I'm fond of them and check the scores every week and read the website now and again.

Now, do you have a lower league team you are like and support?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Not really lower league, but outside of the Premier League I generally watch out for league clubs that would have some of Man Utd's players on loan. Preston have two of our kids at the moment, Matt James and Joshua King and both have made good starts to the season (especially King, who was sensational yesterday).

I watched what I could of Watford last year solely because of Tom Cleverley being on loan there and grew a wee bit fond of them.

Apart from that, Notts Forest because of an immaculate Football Manager career I had with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Northampton Town, found happily struggling in League One but usually (as this season) mid-table in League Two. Local rivals, Cambridge Utd, MK Dons, Rushden & Diamonds (when they are in the league), most fans though would say Peterborough are most loathed.

Home of football

210px-Sixfieldsstadium.jpg

Two Irish players, Tadhg Purcell and Kevin Thornton

010425894287300.jpg010425894288500.jpg

Cobblers!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Northampton Town, found happily struggling in League One but usually (as this season) mid-table in League Two. Local rivals, Cambridge Utd, MK Dons, Rushden & Diamonds (when they are in the league), most fans though would say Peterborough are most loathed.

Home of football

210px-Sixfieldsstadium.jpg

Two Irish players, Tadhg Purcell and Kevin Thornton

010425894287300.jpg010425894288500.jpg

Cobblers!!!!!

Jesus you'd know those 2 were Irish without having to be told. Big meat and potatoes heads on the 2 of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Watford, lived there for a while when I was an ickle baby!

And I'm a big Elton John fan and he has very strong connections with the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hereford United.

0,,10794~3734916,00.gif

Love the crest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Norwich City. I think I just started to like them after they beat Man Utd 2-0 in the league in 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

FC United of Manchester

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/

Admire the dedication from the ex-Manchester United fans, tough starting a football team from the bottom, put a a lot of money into it. They are in the Northern Premier League. Not even a Man Utd fan in the first place either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I always look out for Forest and Leeds.

I've always had a little bit of admiration for Forest. Plus the banter with the Forest fans last season was great.

Leeds because my dad's a Leeds fan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Crewe Alexandra.
    Crewe_Alexandra.png

Heard the Dario Gradi story about managing them for over twenty years and of course their unbelievable relegation escape a couple of years ago where the needed to win and was it something like an 8 goal turnaround to survive and they achieved it. Won 6-0 yesterday.

nice jersey too. 0809_HPTO_Crewe_Alex.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Northampton town, because my Ma's from there.
    AFC Wimbledon, because their club got raped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Cobh Ramblers. I've been to a few of their games, haven't seen them in the A Championship yet though. I'd like to watch a bit more of City's youth teams and the MSL. I keep an eye on how former City players are doing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Like above, I keep an eye out for AFC Wimbledon. I really admire what they have done since having their club taken away from them. Hopefully they can make it out of the conference lge this season. It will be a very interesting game when MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon eventually meet at some stage. I think there might be a little rivalry there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Always keep an eye on whatever team one of the local lads (Paul Heffernan) plays with; this has included Bristol City, Stoke City, Doncaster Rovers, Bristol Rovers and now Sheffield Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

I keep an eye out for Leeds cus the da supports them. Since i watch soccer saturday every week maybe i should adopt a lower league team to give me a proper interest in the lower league. Who to pick????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Cobh Ramblers. I've been to a few of their games, haven't seen them in the A Championship yet though. I'd like to watch a bit more of City's youth teams and the MSL.

How many do they get at their games now? Miss going to Cobh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

frantic190 wrote: »
    How many do they get at their games now? Miss going to Cobh :(
    150-200 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

QPR, always had a soft spot for them primarily because they are quite close to Kensington in London and very close to Chiswick where they make London Pride :D would love to see them get back up this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Always keep an eye out for Villa, used to keep up with Boltons results when the likes of Okocha and Djorkaeff were there aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Millwall cos I was away on hols a few years ago in spain during a particularly rainy week in spain. Myself and the hubby were without the kids thank god so we spent the week in the pub watching the football.

we met a Milwall supporter, who was aged about 50 and was a big stocky bloke who looked like a typical millwall fan in that he was bald and had a tonne of tattoos!!!! Honest to God, he was one of the nicest, most decent blokes I've ever met in my life and I've always watched out for Millwall ever since and wished them well:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Dundalk.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Not me, but my brother used always look out for the Accrington Stanley results.

He's 20 now, but for a few years in his teens he had the strange idea of going over to them and asking for a trial :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Always kept an eye out for Strasbourg results but its getting hard now that they have been relegated to the National/Division 3.

Love them, they have had some great former players you may know. Franck Lebouf played their before his move to Chelsea, Habib Beye current Villa player made his name there. Raymond Domenech also played there. Oliver Dacourt came through the youth system then went off most famously to play for Leeds. Joseph Ndo was there as well for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Bognor Regis Town just because the name sounds cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

All the teams I look out for were in the Premiership when I was growing up...I guess thats the common connection...

Sheffield Wednesday - I was always fascinated with the Steel City derby, loved their jerseys, the club name, the ground name, Chris Waddle & Chris Woods were both legends. Been to see them play a few times, just because it coincided nicely with United games.

Nottingham Forest -Traditionally a great club, would like to see them back in the Premiership

Norwich City - I loved their 92/93 jersey

Oldham Athletic - They beat Villa to give United the league in 92/93, plus they've got a cool name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Bournemouth. From years of managing them in Championship Manager and now Football Manager. Delighted to see them doing well. Always keep an eye on their score on soccer saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Like a few other posters, I always keep an eye out for AFC Wimbledon. Their story is remarkable and shows what true fans can achieve when they get organised and keep their passion for their club regardless of the club's fortunes.

A few years ago there was a documentary called Football Hurts, on Nuts TV I think, when they were in the Ryman League. Thats what really endeared me to them. They had 3,000 fans at home games when other teams in that league struggled to get 500/600 fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Nottingham forest-see thread ''clubs you support and why'':p

Afc wimbledon- what a fairytale club been following their results since there first year in local football where they used to pull crowds of 3/4000!! I love their story and the people behind them should be knighted for taking football back from the greedy commercial owners that are destroying football.looking good for promotion also.

Afc Liverpool-i like their idea of bringing football back to families that cant afford to see premier league games they aint like afc wimbledon as afc liverpool are still liverpool supporters.i took a membership out on them last year and they have some potential to rise up through the leagues. nowhere near on the same scale as afc wimbledon though.

others include
    burton albion-been to see them when they won promotion to the league **** town but nice tidy ground.

wrexham-my welsh team:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Potenza S.C -

Always watch out for them because my favourite football manager save ever was with them. Relegated last season for match fixing dating back to 2008. Originally relegated down a division but they'll play in the ''Italian League of Excellence'' which is below the feckin Serie D and 3 divisions below where they were last year.

The club has fallen apart since I left. :pac:

Also Kickers Offenbach from the German 3rd division. Just because I've been to a few of their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Their website is fantastic, better then many larger clubs.
    It's a template used by a lot of clubs.
    However, their jersey is one the uglist around...imo of course
    Agree, wouldn't be too happy if I supported them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Notts County - our neighbours and a sleeping giant. Have traditionally been a second tier side and would love to see them get back there. They used to get crowds of up to 15k when they were last there in the mid 90s. Not long before that Neil Warnock had taken them to the top division in 1991. So much history attached to them - the oldest football league club, one of the 12 founder members of the football league, paid a league record 47k for Chelsea's Tommy Lawton in 1947, gave Juventus their club colours, etc.

Plus they have a stadium good enough for the Premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Well a club in the lower league that I look out for is Brentford FC. They were my local team really when I lived in Hounslow. Went to Griffen Park when they were in the play offs.

I follow FC Nantes Atlantique because my family are there and have been to La Beaujoire a couple of times. Yet to see them win a match at the stadium though.

Advertisement