Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tacx Sirius Trainer - How can I calculate speed? Calories etc?

• 22-08-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey

Just trying to figure this one out, maybe its very easy. I have just got a Tacx Sirius Trainer for my Defy 4, got it at a fairly good price (I think) of 100 euro.. I have a heart rate monitor (one with the chest strap)

How can I work out my speed?
    I have a Union, Wireless Computer on the Front wheel, but I dont want to go messing about with that.

Is it as simple as putting a Wired Computer on the back wheel?

Or is it even advisable to put it on the back wheel?

Or am I better off working to the heart rate ?

Or... is there an even easier solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cjodea

Ideally you want to be working to both heart-rate and cadence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

100e was very good value. Have the same one. Wouldnt bother with speed....will depend on resistance setting, tyre pressure and contact pressure from the roller...so will vary too much. Cadence and hr are more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

cjodea wrote: »
    Ideally you want to be working to both heart-rate and cadence.

How do I measure candence? Its basically the amount of crank rotations per minute ya? Candence and Heart Rate I presume is on the better Cycle Computers?

Ky Abu wrote: »
    How do I measure candence? Its basically the amount of crank rotations per minute ya? Candence and Heart Rate I presume is on the better Cycle Computers?

yes and yes. Cadence isnt even near essential, but is useful. Just multiply the number of revs in 15s by 4. Aim for greater than 90 (ideal, but some do better with a slightly lower cadence of 80-90)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

AFAIK, you'll burn between 7 calories per minute at about 50% of your max heart rate up to about 15 per minute at 90%.

At lower level the calories will come mainly from body fat while at upper end it'll all be from your blood sugar.

• Advertisement

Ryder wrote: »
    yes and yes. Cadence isnt even near essential, but is useful. Just multiply the number of revs in 15s by 4. Aim for greater than 90 (ideal, but some do better with a slightly lower cadence of 80-90)

Oh.. that sounds very simple, why didnt I think of that! Haha...

AFAIK, you'll burn between 7 calories per minute at about 50% of your max heart rate up to about 15 per minute at 90%.

At lower level the calories will come mainly from body fat while at upper end it'll all be from your blood sugar.

Wel its body fat I presume I want to work on to lose some weight..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Oh.. that sounds very simple, why didnt I think of that! Haha...

Unfortunately it's also completely inaccurate. Calorie and HR are correlated with perhaps acceptable accuracy (diet wise) for one individual, but calorie consumption varies massively between different cyclists for the same relative HR, to the point where it's not at all useful.

Lumen wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's also completely inaccurate. Calorie and HR are correlated with perhaps acceptable accuracy (diet wise) for one individual, but calorie consumption varies massively between different cyclists for the same relative HR, to the point where it's not at all useful.

not sure that thats fair......the calories calculated by hr arent useful as an absolute number but are a cheap and effective way of gauging effort from one workout to another.

Hr is also useful to gauge the correct intensity of exercise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ryder wrote: »
    not sure that thats fair......the calories calculated by hr arent useful as an absolute number but are a cheap and effective way of gauging effort from one workout to another.

Hr is also useful to gauge the correct intensity of exercise

Sure, but I was responding to an assertion about calorie counting.

• Advertisement

Sure, but I was responding to an assertion about calorie counting.

fair enough

Advertisement