Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis Interview

• 22-08-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

http://www.lowkick.com/UFC/Marcus-Davis-answers-on-LowKickcoms-Community-Questions-9484

Enjoy!
    Hope he beats Diaz Next week!:D

IRISH : Marcus, do you think after you retire you will try to open a number of training facilities in Ireland to promote MMA over here?

That is one of my plans. I have spoken to Mark Dellagrotte about the possibilities of us opening another Team Irish/Sityodtong facility in Ireland. Mark is definitely interested

:D
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Just another annoying American who thinks they're Irish, but really just looks like an idiot with his kilt and flag..

He's going to get slaughtered against Nate Diaz, he's never beaten anyone of the same caliber as Nate. Only person he's fought that's in any ways close is Swick, and he's still a good bit off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I like Marcus but agree wit above poster, he's gonna get his arse handed to him against Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Just another annoying American who thinks they're Irish, but really just looks like an idiot with his kilt and flag..

He's going to get slaughtered against Nate Diaz, he's never beaten anyone of the same caliber as Nate. Only person he's fought that's in any ways close is Swick, and he's still a good bit off.

I dont understand the negative attitude towards Americans claiming irish heritage. No one talks down Mark Munoz calling himself the Phillipino wrecking machine, or Tito carrying a mexican flag during walk outs etc.

Davis is proud to be of Irish descent. We should be proud we can lay claim to a fighter at that level imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Davis is proud to be of Irish descent. We should be proud we can lay claim to a fighter at that level imo.

Exactly. There's plenty of Irish Americans who claim heritage through long lost distant connections, their neighbour's granny's cousin had an Irish Wolfhound...

Marcus is only a few generations out from Waterford, and loves to visit here. He said at the UFC 95 Q&A that he wanted to come over here after he hangs up the gloves and I know he visited one of the clubs in Waterford this/last year.

In another Q&A he said recently that the greatest moment of his career was fighting in Dublin at UFC 93. Says he never hears anything else during a fight than Dellagrotte's voice but during the Lytle fight he could hear the crowd singing "Fields of Athenry" and it was incredible.

When he does retire and if he does set up a club over here then maybe he could contribute a lot to the local scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Isn't his father Irish.

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    Isn't his father Irish.

I think it's his Grandad who's from Waterford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I don't think Marcus is going to come over here and coach, just that maybe another gym might want to come under the Dellagrotte umbrella. I can't see Dellagrotte himself upping sticks :)

I don't think Marcus is going to come over here and coach, just that maybe another gym might want to come under the Dellagrotte umbrella. I can't see Dellagrotte himself upping sticks :)

True, but I do think Marcus said at 95 that he had considered moving here once he's done fighting. Even if he didn't move he'll still be over here a lot and would surely be happy to do seminars/sessions when he's over.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    True, but I do think Marcus said at 95 that he had considered moving here once he's done fighting. Even if he didn't move he'll still be over here a lot and would surely be happy to do seminars/sessions when he's over.
    I didn't know he said he'd like to move over mind you, but more seminars would be cool everyone who went to his last bunch a few months ago were well impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I dont understand the negative attitude towards Americans claiming irish heritage. No one talks down Mark Munoz calling himself the Phillipino wrecking machine, or Tito carrying a mexican flag during walk outs etc.

Irish people dont wear kilts, he looks like a tool when he does

• Advertisement

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Irish people dont wear kilts,

Not necessarily...
    The kerns of gaelic Ireland wore the long léine, or "saffron skirt" (often misinterpreted as a kilt in depictions) may have had connections with the predecessor of the modern kilt. This tradition has been continued in the pipe bands of the Republic of Ireland's defence forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_kilt

My surname is of Scottish descent and there is a "Gordon" family tartan! I have often threatened to wear a kilt just to horrify the wife but haven't done it.

So Marcus Davis learns his Irish History off Wikipedia. :pac:

He makes too big of a deal of his "Irish Heritage". Hes not Irish. Hes American. Its not that hard to understand, imo.

He never said he was Irish, he said he's an Irish American, which IMO he is.

Well I find certain Irish Americanisms a bit irritating but he obviously loves the place and loves the crowd. He was over here and from what I was told he wasn't out to make money from his visit (not a lot anyway) just enjoyed coming over.

Leave Marcus alone I say. Who's with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Gerard.C wrote: »
    So Marcus Davis learns his Irish History off Wikipedia. :pac:

He makes too big of a deal of his "Irish Heritage". Hes not Irish. Hes American. Its not that hard to understand, imo.

Well im not sure but i think His GRAND-PARENTS were irish so i presume he is kind of irish

Leave Marcus alone I say. Who's with me?

Yeah because he is a very nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

I dont see what the problem of him being proud of his heritage is? So are you going to tell African Americans, they cant use the african part because it was so and so generations ago when they were shipped over?

How many "Mexican" fighters claim to be Mexican, when they are 2nd or even 3rd generation "Americans" like Cain Velasquez, Roger Huerta, Leonard Garcia, Diego Sanchez. You going to tell them they are not Mexican?

America is not a very old country with very little heritage. It its was built by immigrants who want to hold onto the only but of culture and history they have.

So what is the big problem? We should be proud of Americans who want to stay connected with Ireland.

I dont see what the problem of him being proud of his heritage is? So are you going to tell African Americans, they cant use the african part because it was so and so generations ago when they were shipped over?

How many "Mexican" fighters claim to be Mexican, when they are 2nd or even 3rd generation "Americans" like Cain Velasquez, Roger Huerta, Leonard Garcia, Diego Sanchez. You going to tell them they are not Mexican?

America is not a very old country with very little heritage. It its was built by immigrants who want to hold onto the only but of culture and history they have.

So what is the big problem? We should be proud of Americans who want to stay connected with Ireland.

No, that isnt relevent really.

It bothers me sometimes when Irish-Americans, as they are known, start going on about their "heritage". Its annoying. Feck off like

This is annoying. An interview of Marcus Davis gets posted up and then the whole "Irishness of Marcus Davis" argument breaks out.

Well its actually relevent. Its the same thing, I dont see anything wrong with having an interest in finding out where you come from. Maybe if you ever leave Ireland you will realise that.

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »
    This is annoying. An interview of Marcus Davis gets posted up and then the whole "Irishness of Marcus Davis" argument breaks out.

Just goes to show what he's know for.

Gas that it isnt his fighting abilities

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

If Marcus was a soccer player and used the "granny rule" to play for Ireland and said he considered himself Irish I don't think people would have a problem with it, but because he's American born and lays claim to his Irish heritage people are having a go at him over it, I just don't understand it really.

If he was WW champ I wonder if more people would be happy to accept his Irishness? :D

I fear the worst in the Diaz fight though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

I moved to Germany for work, is it OK to still call myself Irish or would that just be annoying everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Pathetic,

the people who live in ireland sadly we have a close knit idiotic minority who think being irish is the best thing in the world and no one is allowed to experience this either.

Sadly it seems to have seeped onto this board aswell. Are we going to take this seasons TUF 12 contestant and put him on our irish pedestal ? the general reaction of the board seems to think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

When I was at UFC 70 I brought an Irish flag with me and I was sitting ringside at the fighter exit. I never liked Marcus Davis as a fighter, and because he claims to have Irish heritage makes no difference to me. Well anyway he won his fight and was exiting the octagon when he saw me with the flag with two other dublin lads. He then ran at us jumped all over the place shouting and hugging...Then he ran off with my flag...I have held a grudge ever since :mad:;)

So he's just a yank to me until he returns my flag and apologises :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Chirps the Gran

^^^ ha ha! Thieving ba**ard, he must be Irish!
    I like him but he was too easily riled up by Dan Hardy before their fight

t-ha wrote: »
    I moved to Germany for work, is it OK to still call myself Irish or would that just be annoying everyone?

One of them emigrators are ya? Well ya can take your Deutsche marks elsewhere in future bai.
    It's fine by me old chap.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The man feels Irish and loves Ireland so what is the problem, he mentioned to me that he was thinking of moving here, definetly that he would be here regualarly anyway-have to say he was a sound lad and its great that he takes pride in his heritage and we should be honoured that he thinks so highly of us to be like that.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

Yeah he spent a good few days with us in waterford mma and he openly said numerous times that he has looked at property in waterford and he wants to get out of america when his career ends with his family.

Hes a real down to earth guy realy hope he comes back around again, hes a legend no matter how the diaz fight goes :D

Yeah he spent a good few days with us in waterford mma

Who's this?

Rob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

I'm not sure about Sanchez et al, but as for Cain, his father was born and bred in Mexico so he's not exactly clutching at straws there.

Davis can call himself whatever he wants, doesn't bother me. It does annoy me sometimes how much of a plastic paddy he comes across as, but the guy obviously loves the place and has an affinity with Ireland so leave him at it, no harm really.

ollieo wrote: »
    If Marcus was a soccer player and used the "granny rule" to play for Ireland and said he considered himself Irish I don't think people would have a problem with it, but because he's American born and lays claim to his Irish heritage people are having a go at him over it, I just don't understand it really.

This!!

Tony cascarino(no irish blood, adopted grandfather was irish)-Irish national hero.

Marcus Davis(Blood grandfather was irish)-he's a plastic paddy?

My guess is that a large amount of Irish MMA fans are spotty faced keyboard warriors who spend too much time on Sherdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

I think I've been on Sherdog 3 times in the last 2 months? And two of those were yesterday when I was reading some article about Dean Lister..

I just don't like the guy, if he left it at 'The Irish Hand Grenade' I wouldn't mind. However, when he adds the kilt and cap, and flag (In other words, dresses like a member of the Dropkick Murphys) to that. That's what I don't like, Overplaying his nationality. On a side note, if he also had only the flag and didn't dress like a tool I wouldn't dislike him half as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

This!!

Tony cascarino(no irish blood, adopted grandfather was irish)-Irish national hero.

Marcus Davis(Blood grandfather was irish)-he's a plastic paddy?

My guess is that a large amount of Irish MMA fans are spotty faced keyboard warriors who spend too much time on Sherdog.
    Couldn't have said it better myself :) and in my opinion its the Ultimate form of flattery-been irish is feckin awesome,it really is the best nationality in the world to be. But who are the only people not to get it????? The irish ha ha. Fact is Marcus Davis has genuine relations and ties in ireland and if he considers himself irish......then thats fine by me. Travelling around the world you get a greater understanding to what it is to be from Ireland and it totally rocks. The fact that half the Americans consider themselves Irish is a testament to how proud it makes some people feel. Americans in particular boast about it-awesome. For such a small country we really have made an impact. How anyone can see it as negative is beyond me but sure we are all entitled to our opinions (i think :D) I'm sure if he was giving out about Ireland there would be a backlash on here bout that too :D Anywho,raise the tricolor and stand proud peeps- Irish is in and it has been forever :D ps-Go Marcus on Sat night- do 'us' proud ha ha

• Advertisement

I'm not sure about Sanchez et al, but as for Cain, his father was born and bred in Mexico so he's not exactly clutching at straws there

As is my own mother, and I did wear mexican shorts when I fought. However in some peoples eyes I would not be considered "Mexican". So is that to say I cant walk into a ring with Mexican shorts, pancho, sombrero and a pinata under my arm? ( never actually did that, but I am considering tongue.gif)

It was kinda my point. Who gives a f·ck, if you feel proud of your back ground so be it, its not for other people to tell you where your affinities should lie.

I got my ugly mug on the PPV broadcast at 99 coz I had a tricolour with "Marcus Davis - The Irish Hand Grenade" and a big grenade in the middle. I was front row and the cameramen told me to stand up and wave the flag so they could broadcast it during his entrance. I might be on the DVD too, haven't checked yet.

Funny stuff. :D

As is my own mother, and I did wear mexican shorts when I fought. However in some peoples eyes I would not be considered "Mexican". So is that to say I cant walk into a ring with Mexican shorts, pancho, sombrero and a pinata under my arm? ( never actually did that, but I am considering tongue.gif)

:rolleyes:

FFS! Lets not get ridiculous Mark, this is a serious discussion...besides I think a Mariachi costume and guitar would look better.

Mark "El Mariachi" Fairman has a cool ****ing ring to it. You can thank me later.

Actually thats not bad! might use that :)

Better than Mark "the unfair" Fairman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Sweet jesus if he wants to be Irish let him be Irish,and if he ever fights here in his home again we can all welcome him with a great big Irish song like "ole ole":D but if you ask me is Bono Irish well thats a different ball game:mad:

• Advertisement

ScareGilly wrote: »
    I think I've been on Sherdog 3 times in the last 2 months? And two of those were yesterday when I was reading some article about Dean Lister..

I just don't like the guy, if he left it at 'The Irish Hand Grenade' I wouldn't mind. However, when he adds the kilt and cap, and flag (In other words, dresses like a member of the Dropkick Murphys) to that. That's what I don't like, Overplaying his nationality. On a side note, if he also had only the flag and didn't dress like a tool I wouldn't dislike him half as much.

Is there a Problem with being proud of your heritage?
    My Grandad fought in 1916,so im not supposed to be proud of that.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

Marcus Davies spent an hour talking to my friends and myself and was an absolute top bloke. He genuinely loves Ireland and the Irish people and his grandparents are Irish so hes perfectly entitled to celebrate his Irish heritage.

The comments here make me sick just more of the typical close-nit, parochial, bitterness that engulfs some sections of the Irish public. Pathetic and absolutely unwarranted for a legend of the sport. I'm delighted he takes pride in his Irish roots and represents the country in the UFC. If he came here and started up a club I've no doubt it would help Irish MMA tenfold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

TheTMO wrote: »
    Pathetic and absolutely unwarranted for a legend of the sport. I'm delighted he takes pride in his Irish roots and represents the country in the UFC. If he came here and started up a club I've no doubt it would help Irish MMA tenfold.

As I've said, I've no problem with the guy and he usually puts on entertaining fights and there's no doubt the he loves Ireland and the sport. But legend of the sport, seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    My Grandad fought in 1916,so im not supposed to be proud of that.!

Completly irrelevant

Completly irrelevant
    Well no cos thats my heritage which im proud of so if Marcus is Proud he has Irish in him he should be proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

martic wrote: »
    Sweet jesus if he wants to be Irish let him be Irish,and if he ever fights here in his home again we can all welcome him with a great big Irish song like "ole ole":D but if you ask me is Bono Irish well thats a different ball game:mad:

He is part irish and is proud of the fact, he also seems like a nice guy in interviews. more of him i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    The man feels Irish and loves Ireland

Its a pity more people born & bred here don't feel the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

For the record I'm not questioning how Irish he is,the fella is proud of where he came from and I say fair play.So what if he plays up the role abit too much holy f*** you would need to be pretty dumb if you where in his position in the States and did'nt try and sell yourself to the Irish American community,from a buisiness point of view look at the money he can earn having them as a fan base.Every opportunity he gets he takes a fight over this part of the world and every time I see his name on a fight card you know he's not going to bore the fans.Maybe he's too happy and positive in his interviews to be really Irish :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

From everyone I've known that's met Marcus Davis he seems like a genuinely passionate person about Ireland and his Irish heritage. I like him keep up the good work don't mind the haters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I have met him a number of times and he is a great guy, always has time for a chat and a pic. He has told me himself that he would love to move over here someday. He LOVED hes time here for UFC 93 (thinks the Irish fans are great) and he has been over here a few times after UFC 93. I wish him the best of luck on Sat. I will be watching and hoping he can pick up the win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement