Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis Interview

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I would love it if he beat diaz myself.
    I don't see it happening especially if he
    stands with diaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

I would love it if he beat diaz myself.
    I don't see it happening especially if he
    stands with diaz

Marcus is an ex pro boxer! Im pretty sure he is well be able to handle Diaz on his feet. personally I dont rate Nate that highly, he is skillful but doesnt seem to have any natural athleticism or explosivness. Which will keep him out of the top contenders in the 170 division.

I think Marcus has more than a good chance in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

http://www.proboxing-fans.com/the-continuing-trend-of-pro-boxers-and-mma-fighters-switching-sides_051210/
    There have been several prominent UFC fighters who began their journey in the world of combat sports with professional boxing careers. These include Alessio Sakara, Marcus Davis and Chris Lytle. While their boxing skills are commonly referenced in the MMA community and by UFC broadcasters, a quick inspection of their records reveals they were at best inexperienced club fighters.
    In 15 fights Lytle fought just three boxers with winning records and more than five fights to their credit. Sakara fought nine times as a pro, only once against any fighter with a winning record and Davis had 20 pro boxing bouts, only five of which came against fighters with winning records.

But I think it would be safe to say many high level amature boxers would have better hands than Top Level MMA fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Davis is probably a much better 'technical' boxer, but I see Diaz having a better all around stand up and 'smarter' stand up if that makes sense?

If the fight goes to the ground Davis loses, if it stays on the feet he has a chance, but has to avoid the clinch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Davis is probably a much better 'technical' boxer, but I see Diaz having a better all around stand up and 'smarter' stand up if that makes sense?

If the fight goes to the ground Davis loses, if it stays on the feet he has a chance, but has to avoid the clinch..

I dunno, Nate isnt that good on the feet, and Marcus is no Rory Markham.

On the ground I dont think its as cut and dry as you think, Marcus is no bitch on the ground He wont be subbing Nate, but he should be able to stay out of trouble.

Marcus is an ex pro boxer! Im pretty sure he is well be able to handle Diaz on his feet. personally I dont rate Nate that highly, he is skillful but doesnt seem to have any natural athleticism or explosivness. Which will keep him out of the top contenders in the 170 division.

I think Marcus has more than a good chance in this one.

I hope you're right.
    it seems no matter what you throw at either of the diaz
    brothers they take it and keep coming back at you.
    im not sure what their heads are made of.
    the way joe daddy and guida beat nate diaz was probably
    the most effective way of doing so imo and i dont see
    davis using those tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Diaz will submit Davis, guillotine imo.

The problem is when people talk about Nate they think about his brother Nick!

Nate by far is not as good as his older brother. Just because Nick did/and is doing so well people expect the same from Nate.

They are almost always mentioned in the same breath, Nate is never mentioned with out "Nick Diaz" close behind. They are different fighters and one is alot better that the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Nate by far is not as good as his older brother. Just because Nick did/and is doing so well people expect the same from Nate.

They are almost always mentioned in the same breath, Nate is never mentioned with out "Nick Diaz" close behind. They are different fighters and one is alot better that the other.

Do people actually think that? I've never heard anyone say this.

thats a fair point but nate is pretty good also.
    nobody ever stops the guy within the distance

i think myself this division will suit him better myself but
    i dont see him being a contender anytime.
    he would never have beaten the likes of florian or penn
    in the other divison and the likes of edgar would be
    too quick for him as was maynard.
    i always look forward to his fights and i think this will
    be a great fight.

I agree.

Sorry I dont mean to say I think Nate is not a good fighter. He is very technical and has alot of potential. Just not as good as his brother and i dont think he ever will be. Personally i think he needs to put some muscle on and work on his speed and strength.

Marcus Davis will def prove a real test for him to see how he gets on with the upper half of the division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Davis had 20 pro boxing bouts, only five of which came against fighters with winning records.

But didn't Marcus say that one of the reasons he was disillusioned with boxing was that there were too many dodgy promoters protecting their fighters and he couldn't get the right fights? Not that he would necessarily have done any better if he had got the right fights, of the 5 fights against guys with winning records, he was 3-1-1

His full record is here.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=19438&cat=boxer

what next for davis?
    when he knocked diaz in the first i went bezerk thinking
    there was a chance he might finish him

hit diaz with his best shots and diaz got up and shrugged it
    off which must have been disheartening.
    The reach of diaz was a big factor but even without that
    i don't think it would have mattered much.
    Diaz could have gone another two rounds in all fairness.
    the diaz brothers all round fitness/conditioning is as
    good as any fighter in the ufc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Unfortunately i can see Marcus's cuts problem finishing his career in MMA, he got badly opened against Hardy and last night his eye was in a serious state when the fight finished.

Gonna need a lot of healing and possibly even surgery before he fights again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭overhand_right

He is to prone to cuts at this stage as he said at one of his seminars some people sweat a lot I just bleed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think his days are numbered. He's lost too many lately and even made beating Goulet look like hard work. Hopefully he'll make an appearance at an Irish UFC event next year and then hang up the gloves.

Advertisement