Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United vs Aston Villa ESPN 1:30

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I've a fiver on Aston Villa:o Come on lads. Not even watching the match, have to make do with guardian newspaper live updates:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

3-0. Game over, can an ex-USA coach be far over the horizon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Andy Carroll is proving a real handful. I think he's going to be a really important player for them this year, especially against the teams around them. (Anything they may gave got at Old Trafford would have been a bonus).

He sometimes gets isolated when Nolan is back in midfield and has to hold it up while waiting for support, but shows what he can do with goal for Nolan

And as i type, he scores!!! Unreal result here at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

What the fcuk was that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Shocking defending by Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Wow some half hour for the toon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

tommy21 wrote: »
    I've a fiver on Aston Villa:o Come on lads. Not even watching the match, have to make do with guardian newspaper live updates:(

http://www.veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4c70dee54701e

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Villa making Newcaslte look like a football team. Wow. Andy Carrol destroying the CB's on his own. Great performance from him. Well done Newc.

I'd have been better to shred the fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

monkey9 wrote: »
    Andy Carroll is proving a real handful. I think he's going to be a really important player for them this year, especially against the teams around them. (Anything they may gave got at Old Trafford would have been a bonus).

He sometimes gets isolated when Nolan is back in midfield and has to hold it up while waiting for support, but shows what he can do with goal for Nolan

And as i type, he scores!!! Unreal result here at the moment.

Have to agree, he's a handful. I'd wonder about how much end product and goals he will bring to the party himself, but he looks like a great outlet. What Newcastle have done really well is get up and beyond him when he does make the first ball stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That should have been a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Penalty?

Villa getting ripped a new one here

edit Free kick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Villa are shocking, fair play Newcastle

Guttierez worked Luke Young there - wanted it a lot more, should have been a free in.

• Advertisement

Oh Steven Ireland, very soft there to be put off by a bit of pressure from Smith. Has been completely anonymous in the first half.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Oh Steven Ireland, very soft there to be put off by a bit of pressure from Smith. Has been completely anonymous in the first half.

Cant be match fit/sharp surely, was surprised he started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i've decided to take the 'Stating the Obvious Award'...

Milner is badly missed; his strength energy more than anything.

all credit to Newcastle though...Smith, Barton and Carroll have been particularly outstanding.

3:0 half time, that will do i suppose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Absolutely shocking.

It settles the debate if we should play Ireland in a central 2 anyway.
    NRC on at half time. Albrighton or Downing off.

• Advertisement

Villa have been brutal, since missing that penalty, some of the passing has been diabolical. Ireland is doing absolutely nothing. The only thing that is cheering me up are these half time show ads. Pennytalk from IDT "I call my brother in mexico and tell him how to make a penalty kick" sure you do Jose, sure you do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Can't believe we're winning 3-0 against Villa at half-time.
    Now as long as we don't fall apart in the 2nd half and I get a nice crispy €20 note off my villa mate :D

That was a good half of football, really enjoyable for the neutral.

I think the half hinged on two incidents. The awful penalty miss by Carew when Villa were on top. Sometimes the best thing that can happen to a team is concede a penalty as long as it's not converted.

The mood of the fans changes from dejection to elation and suddenly, the noise levels rise and the atmosphere hots up. That transmits itself to the team and a minute and a half later, Barton scores a screamer.

The second incident is Young's disallowed goal that would have levelled things at one all. I don't think it was handball at all. Even if it did hit his arm, it was more ball to hand. Young didn't gain any advantage from it.

Smith and Barton have dominated the midfield with Nolan dropping back to help out in numbers and Gutierrez and Enrique have provided a lot of positive play down the left flank.

Enrique has been solid, defensively as have the centre backs. The only danger has been they sometimes have been playing a high line and the pace of Young has exploited that.

Overall, Newcastle deserve to be leading, but the scoreline is harsh on Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bad officials rear their ugly heads again. Ashley Young being pulled for offside when he was clean through in what would almost certainly have made it 1-1 was a huge call. Newcastle were buoyed by Carew's penalty miss but an equaliser at this stage would have made a huge difference to things.

It has to be said though that expecting Petrov and Ireland who hardly know each other to manager Smith, Barton and Nolan is crazy and the manager has to take the blame for that as there was never any doubt about what formation Newcastle would be playing. Albrighton has been owned out there today and I'd question whether he should have started. While Ashley Young looks dangerous at times playing behind Carew he is being wasted there when the midfield is losing out.

Villa can still get back into this but I think they need to make a change. I think they should bring on Reo-Coker who got a full game midweek in the Europa League Cup for Albrighton, move Young out to the left and push Ireland more forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Great first half and great to see Carroll playing so well. Defo keep him in the FF team for home games.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Absolutely loved that second goal. Great positioning, strenght, and power from Carroll. The season in the Championship has really matured him.

That was a good half of football, really enjoyable for the neutral.

I think the half hinged on two incidents. The awful penalty miss by Carew when Villa were on top. Sometimes the best thing that can happen to a team is concede a penalty as long as it's not converted.

The mood of the fans changes from dejection to elation and suddenly, the noise levels rise and the atmosphere hots up. That transmits itself to the team and a minute and a half later, Barton scores a screamer.

The second incident is Young's disallowed goal that would have levelled things at one all. I don't think it was handball at all. Even if it did hit his arm, it was more ball to hand. Young didn't gain any advantage from it.

Smith and Barton have dominated the midfield with Nolan dropping back to help out in numbers and Gutierrez and Enrique have provided a lot of positive play down the left flank.

Enrique has been solid, defensively as have the centre backs. The only danger has been they sometimes have been playing a high line and the pace of Young has exploited that.

Overall, Newcastle deserve to be leading, but the scoreline is harsh on Villa.

He got a goal.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Pity we don't have gabby. Think his pace would tear newcastle apart.

Ireland doesn't look to be match fit and probably shouldn't have started. I say get NRC on and maybe the Fonz

and we are off, again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Any changes?

• Advertisement

Freidel bit shakey there, must be the change in brightness causing the keepers issues up that end

M5 wrote: »
    He got a goal.....

Yeah, but he didn't gain an advantage in the build up. He was still gonna score the goal. It's not like he took it down and controlled it, Henry style.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any changes?

nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah, but he didn't gain an advantage in the build up. He was still gonna score the goal. It's not like he took it down and controlled it, Henry style.

Don't think that's how the rule works tbh.

Carew is playing like Heskey today, get him off the pitch Mac!

Newcastle just look so comfortable and are having far too easy a job of recycling possession and building again. Villa are getting swamped in the middle of the park. A simple numbers game really, setting up with only Petrov in the middle as a battler was naive tactically. To not change it 50 minutes in when Newcastle are dominating that area is just poor.

And Heskey is coming on?!? I guess no one is going to be saying Mac is the man for the job after this one.

shoutman wrote: »
    And Heskey is coming on?!? I guess no one is going to be saying Mac is the man for the job after this one.

lol, you asked for that:P

Jaysus Carroll is fierce impressive altogether. He is so much more than a lump who can jump and head the ball. Has made great decisions when he's picked up the ball in deeper areas and shown an ability to weight his passes well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Impressed by Carroll too, the difference with Carew at the other end is stark, Carew having a shocking day.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus Carroll is fierce impressive altogether. He is so much more than a lump who can jump and head the ball. Has made great decisions when he's picked up the ball in deeper areas and shown an ability to weight his passes well.

Hes more than that alright, hes got a good footballing brain too. Scores goals with Both feed and his head, creates, and holds the ball up. He can go past players too. Not sure if he can make the step up just yet, time will tell

Well, Villa finally have the right formation. Just took 65 minutes to sort it...

What a finish

Get in, good hit lad

One team wants this a lot more. Great finish on the end too. Out fought, out thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

:eek: Bagged that one nicely....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

This boy is boss.

Wearing the number 9 as it should be worn.

West Ham must be absolutely useless :)

Jose Enrique has been really impressive at left back.

Enrique looks a better player than he did the season ye went down. Much more solid and composed. Looks like he did a lot of weights work too, has done very well in any physical contests for the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement