Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not achieving requirements

• 22-08-2010 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

If you get over the points for a course, but a requirement is you must get a C3 in a subject and you didn't get that, is there any way you could be offered the course? Even if you're way over the points required?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Unlikely. Some universities (I think NUIG) allows people who failed maths or some such to take a resit before uni starts. But other than that I think you are out of luck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I doubt it. The requirements are there for a reason. You can achieve requirements seperately though. Just say you got plenty of points this year but only got a D1 in maths (and a C3 is required) you can just repeat maths, get the higher grade and use your points from this years sitting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im almost certain the answer is No. Most courses state that you must get certain grades in addition to having the points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

What if it's the second round?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Just resit that subject this year, either work for the year or do a PLC. The go into college the following year. I have spent all weekend with my cousin who just did the exam and this is what she says her friends are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What if it's the second round?

Makes no odds what round it is. If you need a C3 or higher in a chemistry for entry to a science degree and you have a D1 in chemistry, it doesn't matter if you scored 600 points in your other 6 subjects, you did not achieve the required standard in chemistry.

Your options are as follows: Get chemistry rechecked - if it goes up and you met points requirements, you get a place.

If you haven't a hope of get the requirement on the recheck, you will have to repeat the subject the following year. You can keep your points from this year but use requirements from any combination of years.

The whole idea of requirements is to show you are of a standard in a particular subject so you will be able for the course. Hence the problem with maths failures every year, as most courses require that you pass maths at higher or ordinary level. The issue, while it exists probably isn't as widespread among other subject areas because the chances are, you are not applying for a science degree if you are not doing science subjects or are not good at/have an interest in science. This applies to any other subject area.

Most universities require a pass in English, Irish and Maths and for some courses a foreign language on top of that. UL/Trinity (I think) require English, Maths and a language (Irish or foreign). Institutes of Technology require (for the most part) a pass in Maths and a pass in Irish or English.. so it is possible to go to an IT with foundation Irish and without a foreign language once you have passed English and it is possible to go to Trinity/UL without a foreign language OR without Irish.

Entry requirements are rigid and colleges will not bypass the system and go 'ah sure, we'll let TomJoe in, he didn't get the grade in Accounting but he had a good leaving cert' If they did the system would be in chaos, and everyone would be contacting the colleges to plead their case and be let in for all sorts of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 goldenlady131

Just resit that subject this year, either work for the year or do a PLC. The go into college the following year. I have spent all weekend with my cousin who just did the exam and this is what she says her friends are doing.

:confused:
    For lack of sounding like a total idiot, how exactly does the whole plc course thing work? I'm just curious as some colleges do not accept them.

Advertisement