Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Causeway Coast Marathon

Options
  • 22-08-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Causeway Coast Ultra set to be the most scenic Ultra in Ireland

Following on from the success of the 2009 Causeway Coast Marathon and other events the organisers, 26 Extreme, have just released an “Ultra Distance” event to the mix for 2010. The event will be 39 miles and will follow one of the most spectacular coastlines in the world.

The Ultra will start in Portstewart and will follow the Causeway Coast Way to Portballintrae. From here it will pick up the Marathon Route and will follow the tracks and trails between Portballintrae and Ballintoy Harbour.
    The entire route passes through magnificent coastline scenery with fine views of wide bays, sandy beaches, dramatic cliffs and off - shore rocks, all of which characterise the Causeway Coast, making its beauty and uniqueness world famous.

In addition to the Ultra Marathon and Marathon there will also be a Half Marathon and a 10k run/walk incorporated into the route – these races, like the Marathon, will also finish in Portballintrae. There will also be a “Challenge Walk” on the day along the same route of the Causeway Coast Marathon.

For more information on this event please see
    www.causewaycoastmarathon.com

I am one of the organisers of this event and if anyone has any questions please post here and I'll respond. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RMac

Firts 13 miles of the Ultra now mapped and GPS logged for all to see

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45992172

It is a mix of beach, gravel trails, grassy tracks and road for the first 13 miles.

Having ran in various places in Ireland I can say that this one ranks up there with the most scenic, if not the most scenic!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sorefeet

Thinking of doing the causeway ultra have done a marathon and a gael force event...need some training advice please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

sorefeet wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the causeway ultra have done a marathon and a gael force event...need some training advice please
    Do as much off road stuff as you can, this race has it all, beach, road. grass, muck ect.... Id highly recommend it.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Do as much off road stuff as you can, this race has it all, beach, road. grass, muck ect.... Id highly recommend it.
    Thanks oisin would it be better to do a marathon and then lead in to the ultra or follow one of training plans.

sorefeet wrote: »
    Thanks oisin would it be better to do a marathon and then lead in to the ultra or follow one of training plans.
    I would yeah, some back to back long runs and as I said as much off road stuff as you can squeeze in. A couple of us on here done a few runs up and down dollymount in the dunes. If you could squeeze in a 50k before it even better, maybe portumna in June. Make sure you have your strategy for eating and drinking nailed done as it can get big-time tough in these races near the end. Personally I'd rate this about 90 mins to 2 hours harder than a race on the road of similar length, 3 of us from here did this and we finished in 7.51 and exactly half way in the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

The ultra isn't too much of a stretch beyond the marathon distance (only 50% longer, so a lot less then the step from half marathon to marathon), so the fairly standard advice of following a marathon training programme, but modified with things like back to back long runs, is good.

Doing a marathon or similar beforehand would be like doing a 15/20 mile race before a marathon. So there are benifits to be had, but if your goal is the CCU then treat that marathon as a preparation run and part of your training, and not a target race in itself.

As well as the off-road runs that Oisin advises make sure to get hill practice in as well (whether on or off road), as there is a lot of undulation in the course.

Enduro wrote: »
    The ultra isn't too much of a stretch beyond the marathon distance (only 50% longer, so a lot less then the step from half marathon to marathon), so the fairly standard advice of following a marathon training programme, but modified with things like back to back long runs, is good.

Doing a marathon or similar beforehand would be like doing a 15/20 mile race before a marathon. So there are benifits to be had, but if your goal is the CCU then treat that marathon as a preparation run and part of your training, and not a target race in itself.

As well as the off-road runs that Oisin advises make sure to get hill practice in as well (whether on or off road), as there is a lot of undulation in the course.
    You doing this and mourne way ultra mate? Having a look at the lost worlds 100k over the causeway coast, looks like a beaut .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

I'd like to do them all, scheduling permitting. The lost worlds is looking like it'll clash with other races for me though. I heard good things about the causeway 100 last year. That coastline makes for a superb running location for sure.

thanks for the advice guys...plenty to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marathon12

Hi
    I walk Marathons (5 so far this year) and would like to enter the full Marathon, can you tell me what the cut-off time is for it? My normal Marathon times would be 6 hours - 6 hours 15mins. What is the difference between the Full Marathon and the Challenge Walk?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement