Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Switch Advice...

Options
  • 22-08-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello,

We're in the process of switching from Eircom to Vodafone. I made the initial call on Wednesday. Since then, however, Eircom have been providing a pathetic excuse for broadband, with slow timing and frequent cutting off. I get approx. 1 hr usage per day, despite the fact that it's supposed to uninterrupted 24/7. I've never had these issues before. I've been reading on the forums that many have experienced the same whilst changing over.

On Friday I called Eircom to see what the problem was but they initially informed me that it was no longer their problem as we were now with Vodafone. Sooo, I called Vodafone who said that our order was still being processed and thus that we don't, as of yet, have an account with them (which makes sense) so I went back to Eircom with this information.

After a lot of being passed from one dept. to another, I finally got to tech. support. He maintained that he had fixed the issue. This was the case for about an hour but then the fluctuating broadband returned. It appears that I'll have this pathetic service until the new Vodafone contract kicks in, apparently mid-next week.

My main issue is that I get the feeling that when our final bill for Eircom comes in 2 months time, I will be expected to pay for the pathetic broadband, despite it not being what I'm paying for. If I were to buy a faulty good in a shop, or have an awful meal in a restaurant, a discount, refund or replacement would be provided. Is Eircom obliged to discount this poor service or can they legally charge for it ?

Also does this broadband fall under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 ?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks.

x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

It may be a problem with any of the following

The line going into your house (split line)
    The exchange
    The Modem
    Your computer

Unless you're on vodafone's mobile broadband, the chances are the problem will remain as vodafone are simply resellers of Eircom's service..

If it does, consider mobile broadband, its a hell of a lot better than it used to be. - I'm with three for over 2 years cos I simply can't get fixed line and the speeds are now at a very stable 2.5mb - 3mb most of the time.

Advertisement