Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Results

• 22-08-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I thought I was set for an A1/2 result, worst case scenario B1.
    My result - C1!!:confused::mad:

Discussed the exam here in June after it was over. The most challenging questions on the exam I felt I got correct. (Three outcomes Q, start, stop codons etc).

Was anyone else disappointed? Any suggestions as to why I ended up with a C1?

Well done to the people who actually got A's! It's a mystery to me.

Mr C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

I used to take biology grinds, and my teacher drilled into me good exam technique. He told me that certain marking schemes are ridiculous, so to write precise correct answers etc. He also told me to fit my answers to short questions on the line, he used say if it went over the line, it was deemed incorrect! May be a load of bull, but it scared me into doing it properly, I got my A1. You seem like you liked biology and you were good at the subject, so I would view the script, just to see where you/corrector went wrong.
    A friend of mine last year loved engineering, was literally the only subject he was good at. Aiming for the A1, got a C1. Got it viewed, turned out to be an administration error!
    So basically view the script!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Science is a precise and correct subject. No room for waffle. Indeed, in uni a friend was marked down in an exam because she didn't "briefly" answer a question but wrote all she knew...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Science is a precise and correct subject. No room for waffle. Indeed, in uni a friend was marked down in an exam because she didn't "briefly" answer a question but wrote all she knew...

You're correct there. What is mystifying for me is that the answers are indeed 'one-worders', you know it or you don't - you're right or you're wrong. Hence, me knowing I got very few wrong and expecting an A.

I'll know when the marking scheme answers come out I suppose.:(

There's something foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 whatwhat

I was going for an A2 maybe A1 but ended up with an B1, and yes I waffled like crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

Got an A2,delighted with that.

I thought it was a very esy paper,in the sense that a good deal of the questions were simply common sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

That's the thing about the science subjects, you can write a page on a question, but unless you hit the key phrases you'll get nothing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

A1 :)
    Bio was my favourite subject though.
    Check out your script , they may have left a Q out when totaling the marks -it happened a friend of mine last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Been getting full marks in Biology for as long as I can remember and ended up getting a B2 on the day. It's a brillant result but thought it'd be higher! Still my favourite subject but definitely dissapointed and I know my teacher will be too : (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

B2 ! First biology test Ive passed haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Quinn92

B1 in pass after taking th subject up before the mocks to get my course requirements! Didn't have any grinds or anything easiest exam i did my a mile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

A1, very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

I got my A1 i'm thrilled!!!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Even though I failed the mocks and got a C2 in the LC, I was a bit disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

My advice would be to view your script.

Biology was one of my favourites in school. Got an A1 the first time I did my LC.
    When I repeated, I came out with an A2. Viewed my script and was on 89.75% and some stuff hadn't been corrected.
    I went up to the A1.

There's no harm in viewing it. If you get your teacher to look over it with you they'll probably let you know whether or not you should send it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'd written off my chances of an A after the test and then boom, A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

5th Year ; I had a bad teacher (but she was lovely so it was hard to be mad at her :D ) ended up getting C's most of the time.

6th Year ; I had a really nice teacher and I was able to bring myself up to a B but in proper exams (Christmas , Easter , Mocks.. ) I could never break the 80% barrier.

I put in loads of work in biology - I did at least 2 or 3 chapters a night for 2 months before the leaving and it paid off.

Result = A2. Advice for up and coming LC'ers.. Just put the work in and it will pay off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

hmm biology is rarely a shocker as the marking is pretty straightforward. definitely bring a bio teacher with you to the rechecks. the marking scheme is tough though so unless you've been testing yourself on exampapers it would be hard to judge how good you really are before the lc

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

lctake2 wrote: »
    hmm biology is rarely a shocker as the marking is pretty straightforward. definitely bring a bio teacher with you to the rechecks. the marking scheme is tough though so unless you've been testing yourself on exampapers it would be hard to judge how good you really are before the lc

Thanks take2,the marking scheme should be straight forward, the ecology definitions that came up for the first time in honours this year I took from the marking scheme of a PasS paper!;) Think I'll get it rechecked for conformation. It's just really disconcerting if one can't judge where they stand!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Hannah Emilie

I was originally hoping for an A1, then after the exam i KNEW that hadn't happened, i was thinking i got a B2 or maybe a B1 so i was delighted in the end with an A2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    Thanks take2,the marking scheme should be straight forward, the ecology definitions that came up for the first time in honours this year I took from the marking scheme of a PasS paper!;) Think I'll get it rechecked for conformation. It's just really disconcerting if one can't judge where they stand!:confused:
    Something happened last year where they refused to gave marks for an ecology definition, some parent kicked up about it, it was reviewed and the marking scheme was changed. A lot of people -myself included- got moved up a grade as a result. So it's worth complaining about things like that if you do notice it in the marking scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

got a c2 and was well happy

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

B2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

Advertisement