Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal, Wait, or Repeat?

• 22-08-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey all, firstly well done with all results! Looking around i see that i'm amongst some very intelligent people :eek:!

Anyway, I was disappointed with my results. I got 535 and was hoping for 555 for the leaving. Wanted to do Veterinary. All subjects I was so happy with, I was initially terrified that i did rubbish in English, imagine the surprise when i got what i needed, a B1. I was so happy looking at the results until I saw chemistry. I was aiming all along for an A1, but when i came out of the exam I thought, no, a2/b1 more like. But I ended up getting a B3.

So after many depressing thoughts etc, I come to my fellow boarders for their advice. I was thinking of viewing Chemistry, praying that there is some sort of discrepancy with adding up the marks, because I don't think its worth appealing, as i cant realistically jump up to a b1/a2 that way?

Also I'm hoping the cao will treat me nicely. Some hope of that.!

If all fails, Im going to repeat.

I cant help being a sheer optimist, but really, in your opinion, do you think i'm clutching onto loose straws here, and just prepare to repeat?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The appeals aren't released until October - so even if you do appeal, you'll be in school over a month if you repeat.

If I were you, I'd see what the CAO offers are on Monday. If you don't get what you want, view your papers, if you think there is an error in the marking, make an appeal, and if you want to repeat, repeat. Check out your appeal results in October, and if you still get no offers, then try and get it in 2011.

Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

I empathise with you. This happened me with biology.

However Chemistry has the marks for each individual Q on the paper itself as you're aware.

You're clutching at straws, i'm afraid to say. Perhaps view it and take notes for next year.

it'll be easy for you to go up.

A year 'out' sounds like the end of the world but it could be great for you.

you'll be much smarter and wiser in a years time as an all round person and you'll be raring to go for the course when it starts, moreso than the others.

You've 9 months to decide if vet is definitely for you.

your life is made over 60years, not this year, keep that in mind!

well done on your high points, there'll be nothing you can't do, don't worry, people have been to college and come out at 25 years of age with useless degrees. You're in a great position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

cxh20y wrote: »
    Hey all, firstly well done with all results! Looking around i see that i'm amongst some very intelligent people :eek:!

Anyway, I was disappointed with my results. I got 535 and was hoping for 555 for the leaving. Wanted to do Veterinary. All subjects I was so happy with, I was initially terrified that i did rubbish in English, imagine the surprise when i got what i needed, a B1. I was so happy looking at the results until I saw chemistry. I was aiming all along for an A1, but when i came out of the exam I thought, no, a2/b1 more like. But I ended up getting a B3.

So after many depressing thoughts etc, I come to my fellow boarders for their advice. I was thinking of viewing Chemistry, praying that there is some sort of discrepancy with adding up the marks, because I don't think its worth appealing, as i cant realistically jump up to a b1/a2 that way?

Also I'm hoping the cao will treat me nicely. Some hope of that.!

If all fails, Im going to repeat.

I cant help being a sheer optimist, but really, in your opinion, do you think i'm clutching onto loose straws here, and just prepare to repeat?

Thanks!

It's unlikely that your paper was graded so poorly that you will go from B3 to A2/A1. However it's no harm in viewing the paper for yourself to see if the paper you did was only of a B3 standard and to find out where you went wrong, particularly if you are going to repeat. Aside from that, I had a student who went from B3 to A2 about 5 years ago. I went to view her paper with her and she was scoring 40-45 out of 50 in most questions and I couldn't figure out how her grade was so low in comparison. It was only when I totted up the marks I noticed that only 7 of her questions were added up instead of 8!! It was a simple addition mistake and I will stress they don't happen that often, but it was the difference between her getting Pharmacy and not getting it.. She got the upgrade and got her place.

View the script but don't pin all your hopes on the paper being marked wrong. The way some people go on about viewing scripts and upgrades it sometimes sounds like every paper should be re-marked and upgraded when the reality is very different. I've viewed on average 3 scripts every year for students in the last 7 or 8 years and only every recommended that 2 get sent for appeal. Both were upgraded justifiably. The rest had been marked fairly to begin with, it was the student who had overestimated their performance on the paper on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

There's now harm in viewing it - Do it!

A guy in my school went up from a C to an A last year in English - dead serious.
    Just hope that you got a particularly stingy examiner.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

thanks lads, will bear that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

just remember that when your appealing your marks could go down as well as up - and english is a very subjective subject so be wary about appealing it or it could go the wrong way altogether...

just don't assume that you can only go up or stay the same - could end up going down as well

Advertisement