Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Suir boat trips ?

Options
  • 22-08-2010 4:24pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to take a boat trip from Carrick-on-Suir to Clonmel ?

I found a great website which shows pictures, both new and old, of the river banks and I thought that it's something I'd love to do.

I wonder if the Clonmel Boat Club organise river trips ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Its is possible, but for the weirs, Clonmel Boat club is above the weirs and the Old Bridge.From Carrick you'd possibly get to roughly behind the Park on the Waterford rd. Theres a kinda messy weir type obstruction in the river there at the back of the old Ronans Factory which might hider you.

iceage wrote: »
    Its is possible, but for the weirs, Clonmel Boat club is above the weirs and the Old Bridge.From Carrick you'd possibly get to roughly behind the Park on the Waterford rd. Theres a kinda messy weir type obstruction in the river there at the back of the old Ronans Factory which might hider you.

Perhaps get a speed boat with a few ramps for the weirs?? ;)

It would be really nice to go on a cruise though and something south tipp/kk/ and Waterford county councils should consider. Would be another attraction for the area.

EDIT: Post number 1700 Hooray!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

It sounds like a nice idea alright that I'd love to do myself. My dad used to be the chairman (I think) of the workmens boat club in Clonmel. Have many a good memory as a kid heading up the river on the rickety old boats. Definitely something I'd like to do again.

That was a nice site with the pictures of the river around Clonmel, not enough old ones though as the river bank in Clonmel has changed so much in the past 20 years. One thing I remember was something like a jetty that used to be a few minutes down the river on the carrick-on-suir side of the gas house bridge. It wasn't built for the purpose or anything but it was like a concrete jacket for a pipe that went a good 15 feet out into the river that you could sit on. It was great for fishing off, I caught my first fish from that thing, a 4 1/2 pound trout.

Advertisement