Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Spot

Options
  • 22-08-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I have two rose bushes in my garden which have developed blackspot and it looks like it has travelled to my lavenders, laburnum and I think my eucalyptus gunnii tree? At this stage of the season is there anything I can do? I was thinking that when the leaves drop off for winter it will be the end of it untill next year when I can do something in spring? I dont mind removing the rose bushes for good either but the others I want to keep.

Please help,

This is the second year of my first garden so I'm still learning.

Thanks,

Robert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

rob555mark wrote: »
    Hi, I have two rose bushes in my garden which have developed blackspot and it looks like it has travelled to my lavenders, laburnum and I think my eucalyptus gunnii tree? At this stage of the season is there anything I can do? I was thinking that when the leaves drop off for winter it will be the end of it untill next year when I can do something in spring? I dont mind removing the rose bushes for good either but the others I want to keep.

Please help,

This is the second year of my first garden so I'm still learning.

Thanks,

Robert.

Your lavender may have been under stress at some stage I don't believe the Fungus that causes Blackspot in Roses would have caused this... There are several virus and fungus that effect lavender but None as far as I am aware
    effect roses as well, laburnum as with eucalyptus tend to be disease free A few bugs in their native Origins is it possible maybe these have had some stress.. Over wet roots over feeding. So leaf spots however they don't kill of the tree... unlike Rose blackspot which can and will kill a rose bush

How long are the plants planted and is the soil well drained in Shade or Full Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rob555mark

Hi, thanks for your help, both the Laburnum & Lavender were planted in spring and get almost full sun. I was watering them twice a week in June when the weather was good. The lavenders grew from 4" to about 2ft tall so no complaints there, the Laburnum fully flowered etc and again I was happy enough with it. The soil is pretty well drained, I think!

The eucalyptus is 6 years old but I'm now not worried about it as other eucalyptus trees about 30 meters away have similar spots and as you said they tend to be disease free.

I'm thinking strongly of getting rid of the two rose bushes anyway so I'll just have to keep an eye on the lavenders next year. Any tips would be gratefull.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

don't get rid of the rose bushes yet, spray them regularly with rose clear during the summer months and it should rid them of the black spot and any other problems.

Most roses (there are a few new varieties that don't) do have to be sprayed every year so I'm afraid if you want roses you have to spray them. They also have to be pruned around nov.. They are worth it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Dermot O'Neill the gardener swears by mixing equal amount of milk and water and spraying it on the black spot, but try to avoid spraying the flowers.

He says it definitely works.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

secman wrote: »
    Dermot O'Neill the gardener swears by mixing equal amount of milk and water and spraying it on the black spot, but try to avoid spraying the flowers.

He says it definitely works.

Secman

never heard this one... most remember to try it next year...

found rose clear ok, but not perfect... bloody expensive too!!

and although you can get more resistant cultivars some better scented roses are not!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement