Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question re packing

Options
  • 22-08-2010 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all

I know this is gonna sound like a really stupid question but I'd rather look stupid and not forget anything!
    I'm heading off to Melbourne in Oct for the year on a WHV, going solo, the plan is to find work (hopefully bar/waitressing but anything will do) within a month of being there, staying in a hostel for the first wk then hoping to rent a room somewhere (depending on if and where the work is!)

I'm bringing a large backpack with me but am unsure of what or how much to bring.

Clothes-wise, I know it'll be heading into summer when I get there, so I'm thinkin a couple of pairs of shorts / capris / few pairs of jeans / few jumpers / loads of vest tops and some flip flops.
    Apart from clothes, the only other things I was gonna bring: camera / laptop / wallet w passport and id and the rest / lonely planet / small toiletry bag with just essentials / and obv the mandatory sunglasses and suncream!

Basically my question is does anyone have any suggestions/tips on anything else I might need? Or shouldn't bring? I don't want to arrive over there and have to spend cash on things I should've brought from home, or on the other hand, be carrying dead weight in the bag either!

Any tips would be much appreciated, cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

I was thinking the same thing myself today.

What about clothes for interviews? Towels?

I was going to leave the sunscreen until I arrived, trying to save a bit of space/weight.

Do you think you'll be bringing a coat/jacket of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

delljm wrote: »
    I know this is gonna sound like a really stupid question but I'd rather look stupid and not forget anything!
    No its a good question
    I'm heading off to Melbourne in Oct for the year on a WHV, going solo,
    Good choice on both counts
    the plan is to find work (hopefully bar/waitressing but anything will do) within a month of being there, staying in a hostel for the first wk then hoping to rent a room somewhere (depending on if and where the work is!)
    Have been reading other posts on here ?
    Clothes-wise, I know it'll be heading into summer when I get there,
    Yes but not quite there at that time.
    so I'm thinkin a couple of pairs of shorts /
    I live most of the summer in 2 pairs of shorts. Just bring your favourites

capris /
    I have no idea what these are?? :o

few pairs of jeans /
    2 again if you need more head to Vic market for jeans.
    few jumpers
    What Jumpers are like cancer for luggage, get one really good warm fleece zip top. You know something you really like and goes with most things. Maybe one more but dont go nuts.

/ loads of vest tops and some flip flops.
    Yes and as for "thongs" they are thongs now not Flip flops. You can get tham as well in Vic markets but if you have a good pair pring em along.

In relation to interview clothes I would bring a few good work wear items in the case of a bloke black slacks, white shirt, decent tie, black shoes. Girls blouse, skirt in same colour.
    camera / laptop / wallet w passport and id and the rest / lonely planet /
    small toiletry bag with just essentials / and obv the mandatory sunglasses and suncream!
    Yeah all good , there is a thread on here about a bringing a laptop the camp is split. I would say yes to a cheap second hand net book and Mcdonalds free wifi other wise use internet cafes.
    Basically my question is does anyone have any suggestions/tips on anything else I might need? Or shouldn't bring? I don't want to arrive over there and have to spend cash on things I should've brought from home, or on the other hand, be carrying dead weight in the bag either!
    You have most things covered but rest assured this is Australia you will spend cash. Its not cheap here.

Me thinks we are overdue a Melbourne Beers. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I always forget towels, but they are easy to pick up over here.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I live most of the summer in 2 pairs of shorts. Just bring your favourites
    I go through 4 pairs a week, in winter.

2 again if you need more head to Vic market for jeans.
    I find it really hard to get good jeans over here, all the aussie stores, in sydney anyway, sell either skinny jeans or straight legged jeans. Which is fine if you are a metrosexual or a farmer, but I just want a pair of decent boot cut jeans.
    Some places sell flares under the name of boot cut.
    Dunno if it applies to girls clothes
    Yeah all good , there is a thread on here about a bringing a laptop the camp is split. I would say yes to a cheap second hand net book and Mcdonalds free wifi other wise use internet cafes.
    I regret not bringing mine.

free internet is available, currently i'm getting free wifi from somewhere near my house, probably a kind neighbour

Mellor wrote: »
    I go through 4 pairs a week, in winter.

Commando;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I wouldn't bother with towels and half the clothes being suggested, especially jumpers.

They're unnecessary bulk when travelling and can be picked up dirt cheap in the likes of Target and Kmart once you get here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I find it really hard to get good jeans over here, all the aussie stores, in sydney anyway, sell either skinny jeans or straight legged jeans. Which is fine if you are a metrosexual or a farmer, but I just want a pair of decent boot cut jeans.
    Some places sell flares under the name of boot cut.
    Dunno if it applies to girls clothes

I know what you are saying

You should try Myer, I bought 2x pairs of Levi's 503 for $120. They are the exact same as back home.... Plus I can get a 34W 32L.

Back home 34R had a 32L but In Aus it seems to be 33.

Levi's are a safe bet you know what you are getting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If you are doing a stopover in Asia buy all your clothes there for next to nothing.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I know what you are saying

You should try Myer, I bought 2x pairs of Levi's 503 for $120. They are the exact same as back home.... Plus I can get a 34W 32L.

Back home 34R had a 32L but In Aus it seems to be 33.

Levi's are a safe bet you know what you are getting.
    I might try Myer. Levi's would be safe bet. 507s please :D
    I did find a place selling bilabong jeans,. boot cut, pretty much perfect. cost $100, girl at the till charged me $60,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Throw in one (or two) of those six point power blocks. That way you will just need one power converter, or get an Australian Plug put on it, to power up a whole load of things.

Saves changing a whole load of plugs around.

that's actually a pretty good fix.

shame its useless for any of use already over here.!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You could always ask a friendly Boardsie to post one over to you. They are generally a good lot, other that the Mods.

CabanSail wrote: »
    You could always ask a friendly Boardsie to post one over to you. They are generally a good lot, other that the Mods.
    At this stage everything I have has an aussie plug on it, except my ipod dock, which has an adapter

At this stage everything I have has an aussie plug on it, except my ipod dock, which has an adapter

I remember that job all to well over 25 plugs by the end I hated those electrical condoms. My language during the enterprise was a tad colourfull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

CabanSail wrote: »
    Throw in one (or two) of those six point power blocks. That way you will just need one power converter, or get an Australian Plug put on it, to power up a whole load of things.

Saves changing a whole load of plugs around.

Is it not three pin plugs out there?

Yes but not the irish or uk type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 delljm

thank u v much for all ur tips lads! much appreciated!

zambia, just have 1 qs for u, when i said i was gonna hostel it for a wk and then try find somewhere to stay i didn't understand ur response - do u think i'd be better off arrangin accomodation before i go over, or should i wing it when i get there??

re: plugs, never even thought, all i'll need is for my laptop (if i bring it), might just pick one up on the way or when i get there tho! on that note, i've a little notebook so wont take up too much space, would ppl recommend just leavin it at home and goin to internet cafes, or did anyone find it useful to have theirs with them?

re clothes, shorts and tees it is, and one decent zip up - hopefully melb wont be too expensive if i decide i need another one when i get there!
    might leave the towels til i get there too, just in case i'm stung for excess baggage on the way (knowin my luck!)

if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know, any advice welcome!! thank u for everythin so far, would be lost without this site! xx

zambia, just have 1 qs for u, when i said i was gonna hostel it for a wk and then try find somewhere to stay i didn't understand ur response - do u think i'd be better off arrangin accomodation before i go over, or should i wing it when i get there??

Wing it possibly your first night book as your coming in late. Just be sure to sort your first night
    re: plugs, never even thought, all i'll need is for my laptop (if i bring it), might just pick one up on the way or when i get there tho! on that note, i've a little notebook so wont take up too much space, would ppl recommend just leavin it at home and goin to internet cafes, or did anyone find it useful to have theirs with them?
    Whats the brand of the notebook/laptop and model I will price a replacement powercable for you. Plus if one side plugs into the adaptor then you only need that side you may only need a small kettle cable. Thats about 12 bucks. As cheap as the travel adaptor. I say bring the little one.
    e clothes, shorts and tees it is, and one decent zip up - hopefully melb wont be too expensive if i decide i need another one when i get there!
    might leave the towels til i get there too, just in case i'm stung for excess baggage on the way (knowin my luck!)
    Weigh your bag at home first...bring 2 good towels your going to buy em anyway. Keep your dollars for beer

If stuck vic market or even an op shop(Like oxfam). You get stuff there for bugger all.

Advertisement