Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We moved; is there a good landlord anywhere please?

Options
  • 22-08-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

A couple or three months ago, we posted re an illegal eviction notice; some great support etc here.

We finally managed to sort a new house out. At a fair distance. Which is fine. Had to take it sight unseen as it was too far to travel.

It had been empty a while; needed sme work, but we booked six weeka ahead and were promised all would be ready.. The situation was perfect for us and the rent fine.

When we arrived after a long hot journey, the house was full of workmen. Far from finished. Junk in the garden; lots of promises etc etc etc.

We learned that night that some of the lights did not work; eg the landing/stairs. Learned that the hard way by falling half way.

A week on, still not all the work done..

The landlord in and out; workmen arriving late at night..

The landlord's brother in and out; and someone in when we were out.

We are very private people; and even have a PRIVATE notice on the gate thus; as well as two loud dogs.

Tonight, suddenly a woman arrived at the door, having ignored the notice etc.

Says she is the owner... so clearly she thinks she can walk in any time?

Does this ever stop with landlords here?

We love the house and the area, but this hassle again.

We have emailed the agent once more; he has been very good with it all.

We simply need peace; it has been a long and stressful time with a difficult move. Just peace and privacy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Obvioulsy as a tenant you are entitled to the peaceable enjoyment of your property, but if you do not allow the workmen in the house then it can't be repaired or decorated. By the sounds of it the workmen could well be doing a nixer if they are arriving late in the evening, so maybe have a chat with the landlord and see if you can come to some sort of agreement regarding hours, etc.

You mentioned in your post that you met the landlord and his brother, but this lady claims to be the owner? That doesn't really make any sense, unless, of course, her husband or brother signed the lease instead of her?

As for her walking past the 'private' sign: you never provided the full details as to why she called over? Was it to discuss the renovation of the house or check its progress? Or to say hello and introduce herself?
    We simply need peace; it has been a long and stressful time with a difficult move. Just peace and privacy.

Again, you need to discuss the renovation works with the landlord and reach an agreement. The work obviously needs to be done, but given the above sentences it sounds like you'd prefer if all work stopped in the house and it was left 'as is'?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

convert wrote: »
    Obvioulsy as a tenant you are entitled to the peaceable enjoyment of your property, but if you do not allow the workmen in the house then it can't be repaired or decorated. By the sounds of it the workmen could well be doing a nixer if they are arriving late in the evening, so maybe have a chat with the landlord and see if you can come to some sort of agreement regarding hours, etc.

You mentioned in your post that you met the landlord and his brother, but this lady claims to be the owner? That doesn't really make any sense, unless, of course, her husband or brother signed the lease instead of her?

As for her walking past the 'private' sign: you never provided the full details as to why she called over? Was it to discuss the renovation of the house or check its progress? Or to say hello and introduce herself?

Again, you need to discuss the renovation works with the landlord and reach an agreement. The work obviously needs to be done, but given the above sentences it sounds like you'd prefer if all work stopped in the house and it was left 'as is'?

No it makes no sense at all.. This was the first we had heard she existed. He signed the lease.

No idea why she came like that; had she been interested she may have sorted stuff better than the men. Like the lights. The fittings needed replacing. we had to read the riot act to get that fixed. Leg and foot still black and blue.

I am unwell and was going to bed; having someone invade like that was the last straw. They have all been in and out all week. We have been having words with everyone all week.

The agent has been trying to urge them on,, but as someone said. "Think Mexico"' we were promised the work would all be done before we arrived is the real issue.

We were told it was just a bit of painting; in fact they have gutted the kitchen and I think the bathroom. we have said we will do any painting still to be done.

Just exhausted is all; we were thinking to rest when we got here and a week on still chaos. Health issues etc

But PRIVATE means just that. Especially the landlord etc; who we thought we had already met and talked with several times.

By pushing we have managed to get most of the inside stuff done.

we are early to bed in this house so a few times we have had to get up again to let workmen in.

...still the old car, the old toilet and various other large junk they promised rid of a week ago.. Then we found that two of the windows need replacing, when the wind and rain came.

Should know better than to believe agents; but with a threat of eviction on one side and a violent neighbour on the other, any port in a storm.

It seems that they know nothing re tenancy law; not registered etc either; they are good folk, which makes it all harder. Landlord is a man of few words and refers all to the agent. Both have the same name which causes confusion..

Rural Ireland .. yet so lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i cant get over some people. They complain when landlords dont fix problems they have then they complain when they do.

fair enough you expected it to be done before you mvoed in but its getting done. Would you rather your privacy and the issues remaing unresolved or having to put up with some workmen until the issues are fixed ?

Ultimately you cant have your cake and eat it. I cant see how a week or maybe 2 - 3 (no idea what work is being done) of intrustions is that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

re the lady perhaps its the landlords wife ? Logical explaination to me.

D3PO wrote: »
    i cant get over some people. They complain when landlords dont fix problems they have then they complain when they do.

fair enough you expected it to be done before you mvoed in but its getting done. Would you rather your privacy and the issues remaing unresolved or having to put up with some workmen until the issues are fixed ?

Ultimately you cant have your cake and eat it. I cant see how a week or maybe 2 - 3 (no idea what work is being done) of intrustions is that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

re the lady perhaps its the landlords wife ? Logical explaination to me.

To quote someone from another board.. who pissed on YOUR cornflakes?

Yes it IS a big deal; a VERY big deal indeed.

We were promised a finished house and yes we expect that. And that is what we are paying rent for; a house that can be lived in, not a buliding site where workmen expect to be admitted late at night or the job gets delayed even more.

Aren;t we soooooooooo unreasonable to expect promises to be kept?" To expect a safe house? MY what unreasonable people.. Especially when there is illness..

To expect also that quiet enjoyment that the law promises also....

Which we are paying for by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Just delighted you are not renting my house - nightmare!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

Maybe next time rent a house that's finished and ready and that you get to view.....just a thought!

Take a chill pill too

Damie wrote: »
    Maybe next time rent a house that's finished and ready and that you get to view.....just a thought!

If you read, you will see that this was a rushed move; and at a fair distance and needing rent allowance there is not much choice.

As for your uncalled for "chill pill" comment; there are times when the only response is anger.

Standards in this country of rented accommodation are appalling and the kind of complacency expressed here are the reason for it.

Glenalla wrote: »
    Just delighted you are not renting my house - nightmare!!!

If your attitude is what comes across in this cryptic post. then we too are very glad we are not renting a house from you.

Nightmare because we expect promises to be kept? And a lease to be fulfilled? And a house to be habitable?

Thankful indeed that we do now have tenancy laws.

Graces7 wrote: »

We were promised a finished house and yes we expect that. And that is what we are paying rent for; a house that can be lived in, not a buliding site where workmen expect to be admitted late at night or the job gets delayed even more.

Aren;t we soooooooooo unreasonable to expect promises to be kept?" To expect a safe house? MY what unreasonable people.. Especially when there is illness..

To expect also that quiet enjoyment that the law promises also....

Which we are paying for by the way.

Who is paying, you or the taxpayer?

Gee...I clearly hit a very sore point to elicit that remark. Shame on you!

• Advertisement

GET A LIFE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Who_owns_this?

GET A LIFE!!!
    Post reported, by me. You don't seem to be very nice at all Glenalla.

Graces - I feel so sorry for you. To come from a bad tenancy into another bad tenancy must be a nightmare. You were promised a place that was finished and so you must have entered the contract to rent on those terms. Also, once you're renting, the landlord, his wife, whoever, has no right to enter onto the place without your permission.

I hope you get over your illness, and the last thing you probably want is stress. Maybe send a clear message to the landlord that the place isn't as you were told it would be, and also that you don't want people walking into your home.

Good luck... and don't mind the begrudgers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Feel compellrd to reply. I am a taxpayer of several years. My parents are taxpayers of over 40 years. The tennent is entitle to peace in his/her own home. RA housing is a joke. the builder should call between 8am-7pm not whenop is going to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

and to quote a song cry me a river

i have no sympathy for you. you signed a lease without viewing a property. Need I point out how stupid that is ?

perhaps if every post you make on this forum wasnt a whinge and showing a disking to landlords in general people might think your reasonable and dont have a large chip on your shoulder when it comes to renting.

you either want the issues resolved or you dont. if you do then you have to appreciate that there will or could be an inconvenience.

liek the other poster said im glad im not renting to you. Your unreasonable to the extreme.

somebody came to your door past your private sign. god forbid. Will you be back on in 2 weeks time complaing about the church collection knocking at your door or the local counciller ? I suspect you will :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can I ask people to be a bit more polite?
    Does it matter? Both are entitled to the service being paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

If you read, you will see that this was a rushed move; and at a fair distance and needing rent allowance there is not much choice.

As for your uncalled for "chill pill" comment; there are times when the only response is anger.

Standards in this country of rented accommodation are appalling and the kind of complacency expressed here are the reason for it.

A rushed move, thats my point, its your problem if its a rushed move and you dont get to check out before you rent. Not much sympathy floating around, maybe you should read something into that?.......meh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys, can everyone please take a deep breath, calm down, and take a time out before hitting the 'submit reply' button. While we allow discussions of most topics here- I must insist on posters being civil towards one another. If you vehemently disagree with what someone else posts- refute it in a factual manner- without personalising your posts. Laying into one another is not on- and will result in either a ban, or a holiday from posting in this forum.

Further- if you have an issue with what someone posts and believe a moderator should take action on it- use the 'Report Post' function- do not start a civil war with the person who posted the item you disagree with.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You went into a house you never saw before, and found it to be a mess. For this you have no-one but yourself to blame, so remember this when dealing with the agent: it's not his fault you didn't look before you lept. Taking the view that everyone is out to get you may make people try to avoid you. You may think this is a good thing, as you value your privacy, but in the long run, it'll be a bad thing, as no-one will come to fix your house, or put the job n their (very) long finger.

Regarding the work and the people doing it seeming to be nixers, talk to the agent, to get the work done in weekend bursts. This will mean that the work would be done in blocks of maybe 8 hours, instead of an hour here, and an hour there, and will give you more peace. It'll also mean that any "big" jobs can be done in the one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

thank god your gone from our area people are alot more at ease now , this woman causes havock every where she goes be aware people, she posts up stuff on here making out that she is the victim all the time but mostly its her neirbours that are the victims :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

thank god your gone from our area people are alot more at ease now , this woman causes havock every where she goes be aware people, she posts up stuff on here making out that she is the victim all the time but mostly its her neirbours that are the victims :mad:

I don't know the person but only from posts here but everything is anti Landlord she had so much trouble in her last property she should of know better this time and the her comments above are typical when someone disagrees with her.Everyone is to blame except herself and seems intent to keep pulling in people to shower sympathy on her.

The landlord calling around when a new tenant arrives is good thing it, it shows they want to sort things out. The owners of the house that's being rented hardly want to be paying workmen. From my experiences people on RA are harder to please that people paying from there own wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You never said what it was this lady wanted when she came to the door just that she came to the door. Did she actually just walk into the house without asking, say "I'm the owner" then leave or did she ring the doorbell cus it sounds like she rang/knocked on the door which is not the same as someone walking in. Just because someone puts a "private" sign on their gate doesn't mean people can't knock on the door.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- remember the rules- if you disagree with what someone else posts- refute it factually without personalising your posts. Warning to everyone posting here.

S.

This post seems to be getting a lot of peoples back up and should probably be ended. I think we all get the jist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Work renovating a house always runs late, always, I would never plan to move into somewhere that was in the process of being renovated until it was 100% completed (and then I'd expect that there would still be small remedial items to be fixed).

Is it just the two of you + two dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Dymo wrote: »
    I don't know the person but only from posts here but everything is anti Landlord she had so much trouble in her last property she should of know better this time and the her comments above are typical when someone disagrees with her.Everyone is to blame except herself and seems intent to keep pulling in people to shower sympathy on her.

The landlord calling around when a new tenant arrives is good thing it, it shows they want to sort things out. The owners of the house that's being rented hardly want to be paying workmen. From my experiences people on RA are harder to please that people paying from there own wages.

Outrageous post. Grace has done nothing in any of her posts other than show she is anti shoddy attitude from greedy landlords who just see tenants as a cash cow. She suffers from a long term illness and you are calling that an attempt to shower sympathy? Despicable? Yes.

From your own experiences people on RA are harder to please.. why is that?
    Do you rip them off too?
    Assume they will live in sub standard accomodation just because they are on RA?
    In my experience, people on RA, are so damn grateful to find a decent landlord who has a decent property they are too damn avoidant to call him/her regarding anything that a working person would not think twice about!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Although you might find the prospect of a further search and move daunting, if there is serious disruption to your life in that property you might consider a different one.

It sounds like the main source of your trouble isn't so much the availability of good rental accomodation on RA, but rather that you appear to be tied to one or two areas, perhaps in a rural area where there is little choice.

You might want to consider moving further afield for your accomodation needs rather than have to put up with the disruptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Darlughda wrote: »
    Outrageous post.
    I'm wondering why she moved into a hellhole after experiencing such crap in her last place, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm wondering why she moved into a hellhole after experiencing such crap in her last place, tbh.

I would imagine that as difficult as it can be to find a decent landlord, with a decent property, to accept rent allowance in Dublin it must be hell in rural Ireland.

As far as I remember, Grace lives in Donegal. Can't imagine there is much choice there. Maybe she will be able to elaborate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Outrageous post. Grace has done nothing in any of her posts other than show she is anti shoddy attitude from greedy landlords who just see tenants as a cash cow.

Landlords see tenants as customers. It's a business relationship and should be treated as such by both parties.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that as difficult as it can be to find a decent landlord, with a decent property, to accept rent allowance in Dublin it must be hell in rural Ireland.

As far as I remember, Grace lives in Donegal. Can't imagine there is much choice there. Maybe she will be able to elaborate further.

There is a huge choice of great houses in Donegal available for rent, take a drive around or talk to any of the property agents, they will tell you its a renters market, however it helps to view the house you are going to rent prior to moving in!, then you wont be disappointed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement