Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We moved; is there a good landlord anywhere please?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

Mmmn, its only been a week, you didn't view the property before you moved in and you wanted to move in a hurry. You complain about various things wrong with the property yet complain about the work being done to fix them (example - you complain about two broken windows but how are they to be fixed if you object to workmen coming into the house)? To me, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as if you pressurised the landlord into letting you move in before the house was ready.

Building work takes time to carry out. You are getting a new kitchen. Surely thats a good thing? Wouldn't you complain if you had to put up with an old manky kitchen? If the area is so bereft of good landlords and decent properties, would it not be better to buy your own place or move to another area (if your job doesn't constrain you)? And if you booked it 6 weeks in advance, surely in that time it must have been possible to actually visit it? Or at least ask for photographs?

This reminds me of a guy I met at my work, claimed he was desperate for a couple of weeks accommodation for him and his girlfriend before he went home to Slovakia as his lease had ended. He knew I had rental properties and had one empty because it was being renovated and was unfinished. He pressurised and pressurised me to let him and his girlfriend to stay in it for two weeks over the festive period and eventually I felt so bad I gave him and let him have it for E175 for the duration or something suchlike. It was a 5 bedroom apartment right in the centre. It wasn't bad but some stuff still needed to be done. You would have thought he would have been grateful but oh no, after a few days, the demands started. There were no wine glasses, could I buy some and bring them round please? The fridge didn't seem to be working, could I adjust the temperature? There was no tumble dryer. I shouldn't have remained as polite as I did, just gritting my teeth thinking "he'll be out soon". These sort of people must get told often enough to be grateful for the genuine efforts of other people, but I do believe they think the role of other people is to run around after them - they have no consideration of the effort involved or any concept of saying thank you and being patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If people didn't move into unfinished and/or unsuitable housing, landlords would be forced to improve the the properties before renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

BostonB wrote: »
    If people didn't move into unfinished and/or unsuitable housing, landlords would be forced to improve the the properties before renting.
    Sure, but would you spend on improving your property if there was no income to pay for it?
    Anyway some people are so old, desperate and fixated on animal welfare issues that thay have alienated their new community so much that they have to move for their physical safety.
    They have run out of options.

Sure, but would you spend on improving your property if there was no income to pay for it?....

Spend money to make money. Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why then is the renting model in many countries on the continent and in the US the polar opposite of this- and in many cases other than corporate lettings, its almost impossible to find furnished properties? We have gone to extreme lengths to fashion our rental sector in this manner- very few other countries allow flat line depreciation of furniture in their rental sectors, as we do- they do however charge such a premium for furnished accommodation, that the furniture pays for itself.

• Advertisement

I said finished not furnished.

I said finished not furnished.

Damn reading dyslexia! :D:o

Happens to all of us :D

On that track, I know someone renting in Germany and part of their lease was that when leaving it they have to strip the place bare and paint it all white. Only then do they get a deposit back. I don't know if thats typical or not. But I thought it was a better way of doing things.

If it wasn't the state of the property, it would be something else. The landlord not responding to complaints within the hour, the landlord coming in to fix things following complaints, the neighbours, the noisy road outside. When I was younger I stayed in plenty of rented rooms in flats and rented cottages and most of them had far more than was wrong with the ones I rent out now. But I barely ever complained about anything, and when I did I appreciated the landlord's attempts to put things right. I also wasn't paying executive level rents - then I guess you can expect near perfection. But show me the perfect house that remains perfect and nothing ever goes wrong with it?

The tenants here are grown adults, they seem to have no ability to take responsibility for their own choices in life, to make responsible, adult decisions and so on, and seem too ready to blame everyone else that they have contact with. It makes me uncomfortable and I detect a lack of social skills, real aggression in how the OP responds and an inability to interact effectively with other people. And I don't even know them!

Theres nothing wrong with a valid complaint. In Ireland we don't complain (properly) enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Graces7 wrote: »
    A couple or three months ago, we posted re an illegal eviction notice; some great support etc here.

We finally managed to sort a new house out. At a fair distance. Which is fine. Had to take it sight unseen as it was too far to travel.

It had been empty a while; needed sme work, but we booked six weeka ahead and were promised all would be ready.. The situation was perfect for us and the rent fine.

When we arrived after a long hot journey, the house was full of workmen. Far from finished. Junk in the garden; lots of promises etc etc etc.

We learned that night that some of the lights did not work; eg the landing/stairs. Learned that the hard way by falling half way.

A week on, still not all the work done..

The landlord in and out; workmen arriving late at night..

The landlord's brother in and out; and someone in when we were out.

We are very private people; and even have a PRIVATE notice on the gate thus; as well as two loud dogs.

Tonight, suddenly a woman arrived at the door, having ignored the notice etc.

Says she is the owner... so clearly she thinks she can walk in any time?

Does this ever stop with landlords here?

We love the house and the area, but this hassle again.

We have emailed the agent once more; he has been very good with it all.

We simply need peace; it has been a long and stressful time with a difficult move. Just peace and privacy.

why dont you try this guy ,http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-landlord-one-of-nys-worst-2321357.html
    he might have something suitable for you !

Theres nothing wrong with a valid complaint. In Ireland we don't complain (properly) enough.

Not necessarily. I evicted a tenant for complaining too much. All done perfectly correctly with correct service of notice and valid grounds, etc. This is the only tenant I have ever evicted. She was costing me a fortune. She complained literally every second night, always just about 8.30-9pm when I was sitting down to relax. She complained when the living room lightbulbs burst and was unable to flip up the circuit breaker in the fuse box. I had to pay for an electrician to do it for her. She complained the central heating was broken when in reality she couldn't follow the instructions on how to switch it on. I paid for a plumber to show her how. She complained about pretty much everything. The last straw was when she sent me a rude email on Christmas Eve asking me to install drainage grooves on the kitchen worktop and a nicer tap asap and told me she would be going onto disability benefits as she was giving up her job. Since it was a nice flat in a nice area, easily let, and her rent was too cheap anyway, and I'd never get her out once she was installed on said benefits, I evicted her. She did disappear without paying the bills but tbh by that stage I was so sick of her, I would have paid her to leave!

Distorted wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I evicted a tenant for complaining too much. All done perfectly correctly with correct service of notice and valid grounds, etc. This is the only tenant I have ever evicted. She was costing me a fortune. She complained literally every second night, always just about 8.30-9pm when I was sitting down to relax. She complained when the living room lightbulbs burst and was unable to flip up the circuit breaker in the fuse box. I had to pay for an electrician to do it for her. She complained the central heating was broken when in reality she couldn't follow the instructions on how to switch it on. I paid for a plumber to show her how. She complained about pretty much everything. The last straw was when she sent me a rude email on Christmas Eve asking me to install drainage grooves on the kitchen worktop and a nicer tap asap and told me she would be going onto disability benefits as she was giving up her job. Since it was a nice flat in a nice area, easily let, and her rent was too cheap anyway, and I'd never get her out once she was installed on said benefits, I evicted her. She did disappear without paying the bills but tbh by that stage I was so sick of her, I would have paid her to leave!

They are not valid complaints. That you can't tell the difference illustrates my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

They are not valid complaints. That you can't tell the difference illustrates my point.

I think you'll find that Distorted was by and large agreeing with you. Valid complaints are perfectly reasonable, invalid ones are not. Any decent landlord will treat the former promptly every time because its in his interests to do so. The latter are an extreme annoyance and I sympathise with Distorted on those odd occasions when the incessant moaning becomes more trouble than it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It makes me uncomfortable and I detect a lack of social skills, real aggression in how the OP responds and an inability to interact effectively with other people. And I don't even know them!

I believe in this case everything can be solved if the landlord simply wears a dog costume every time he visits.

Please don't insult me. I think whatever esoteric point you are trying to make beyond your own proclaimed mastery of all tenancy issues is so obscure it has long been lost. I know what I am doing. I don't regard _all_ of the OP's complaints as valid either, and do not forget that we are only hearing one side of it. I used to work in local government investigating neighbour and tenancy complaints and developed a pretty good instinct for who was exaggerating and who had valid complaints.

The OP had "some" valid complaints. Poorly communicated perhaps.

Theres a certain double standards in ridiculing a tenant complaining about unexpected late calls to the house and late repair work. But its ok for a landlord to complain about late phone calls. Assuming you think 8~9pm is late.

Please don't insult me. I think whatever esoteric point you are trying to make beyond your own proclaimed mastery of all tenancy issues is so obscure it has long been lost. I know what I am doing. I don't regard _all_ of the OP's complaints as valid either, and do not forget that we are only hearing one side of it. I used to work in local government investigating neighbour and tenancy complaints and developed a pretty good instinct for who was exaggerating and who had valid complaints.

The point was simple. Nothing remotely esoteric about. Irish people don't know how to complain properly about valid complaints. You replied with a list of invalid complaints, improperly communicated. Perfect example of how not to complain.

Guys- lets calm down here.
    No more personalisation of posts.

Regards,

Shane

No insult intended. Apologies. I made my point badly.

• Advertisement

The OP had "some" valid complaints. Poorly communicated perhaps.

Theres a certain double standards in ridiculing a tenant complaining about unexpected late calls to the house and late repair work. But its ok for a landlord to complain about late phone calls. Assuming you think 8~9pm is late.

Its late unless its an emergency. Particularly when it happens around 4 times a week at the same time, every time for a very minor or even invalid complaint. Burst lightbulbs are not an emergency, particularly when the side lights in the room on a different circuit continue to provide light. Neither is not being able to switch on the central heating, when an electric heater is provided for emergencies and the flat contains an electric shower in addition to the shower powered by the central heating!

Double standards - to that I would say its a shame that you cannot discern the difference between emergency and minor complaints.

In the OP's situation, the issue is complicated by the fact that they have not taken self responsibility in inspecting the property before they moved in, and they do seem to have a history of this sort of tenancy disputes.
    My instinct, based on what I have read on here, my qualifications and experience, makes me think the OP and her partner are not perhaps the easiest people to satisfy.

My guess is that the tenant had to get out of their previous house quickly, pressurised the landlord of the current one to move in asap, landlord wasn't able to get it ready in time and is working round the clock to finish it. Yes it does seem that work is being done late but that does mean it will be finished sooner. It might be the only time the landlord can get the work done. The rent payable might make it not financially worthwhile to employ a larger team of builders on a higher rate. Perhaps they cannot even be obtained. If the time is restricted that they can work, its going to take longer to complete.

tbh its only been a week for the OP and most of us have had to endure building work at times which has gone on longer than this. Its not exactly the end of the world.

Note the reference to the "long hot journey" in the OP's original post - you would think they had trekked through the Sahara on foot or something!

I think I see what the above poster means about the dog costume!

The tenant has a right not to be disturbed unless by prior arrangement.

Nuisance calls about trivial issues are an entirely different topic. Not relevant to the point above. Neither is what type of complaint it is, minor or major. Its either valid or not, and should be dealt with properly by both parties regardless.

The tenant is as fault for not checking beforehand, and complaining properly. And moving in when the property is not ready as agreed. But the landlords is at fault for creating that situation. He should have informed the tenant that this was happening, before they arrived on the door.

All the rest is irrelevant. Guess'es aren't fact. Supposition isn't fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm changing the sequence for the quotes to make what i say more sense.
    But the landlords is at fault for creating that situation. He should have informed the tenant that this was happening, before they arrived on the door.
    We do know what the landord told the OP or their other half before they moved in. We don't know how the OP interpreted what was said.
    The tenant has a right not to be disturbed unless by prior arrangement.
    Continued from the above, we don't know if the landlord had told the OP that they'd be continuing the work in the evenings. The OP can say they area private people until the cows come home, but the landlord is doing the house up, and to be frank, if they don't like it they can move. Maybe next time, check if the house is fully built next time?
    the builder should call between 8am-7pm not whenop is going to bed
    I'm actually puzzled when the OP actually thinks the work should be done? So far, it sounds like all the work is been done in the evenings, most likely as a nixer. The OP doesn't say if they asked the landlord to have the work done at a specific time or day, or the landlords response to such demand.

Ok guys- if you want to continue- please take it elsewhere. I am closing this thread. OP- if you want it reopened, please contact one of the mods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement