Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics - Disappointing?

• 22-08-2010 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Really wanted an A1 in economics and would have taken an A2! Did the work and walked into the exam knowing the course inside and out! Walked out happy thinking i got the A!

Results came and i have a B2??

Im defintely going to get it appealed!

Is anyone else shocked with their grade? I know alot of people from a few schools who are also completely shocked!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Aisling1992

Ya I'm exactly the same. Was getting A's in every class test. Got an A1 in the Pre and knew the course inside out. Thought I would get an A2 at the least and then came out with a B1. It was a joke. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I got a C1, pretty much what i was expecting. Didn't put a massive amount of work in, but put a fair bit. I think I got about what i deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

i got an A1 in the mocks(90%) but tbh the mock papers where extremely easy so I wouldn't place to much store in them-in the real exam I managed an A2 which I felt was a fair result. Everyone in my class who put in the required work got excellent results out of 12 of us 6 people got at least a B1 so our teacher was delighted with us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

You don't deserve an A1 when you can't even spell 'disappointing'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

im the exact same.a1 in the mocks and then b2 in the real thing,couldnt believe it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Nolanger wrote: »

Got an A in english too lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Oh look at you being a cool dude on the internet, do you feel like a big boy now?

Cipango wrote: »
    Got an A in english too lol!

Me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I got a B1 in the Mocks.. Got a C2 in the real thing :o

Anyone going viewing their script?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

My entire class got B2's..! Strange, there were some A lads there.

Anyone going viewing their script?

Definitely!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Quinn92

Got an A2 after having a full week off too study quite happy to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Got an A2, realy disappointed, definately getting it rechecked, my easiest subject, always got A1 as in the mocks. My entire class were disappointed, must've been marked very hard.

Got an A2, realy disappointed, definately getting it rechecked, my easiest subject, always got A1 as in the mocks. My entire class were disappointed, must've been marked very hard.

Yeah i think it was...Ive yet to meet or hear of an A1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Ah would you cop on! They've more important things on their minds right now other than how many 's' in disappointing. I refer you to your post in the 'Things you just don't get' thread where you wrote -
    'Parents who talk loudly at their kids in quite places like bookshops.' :rolleyes:

Apologies for going slightly off topic guys and best of luck with re-checks. You are definitely not alone, this seems to be a cause of concern and frustration for many students across the country. There were no A grades in economics in the school where I teach. This is strange considering there were many A grades in the mocks and their teacher is excellent, he hasn't had a class without As for a long, long time. Like yourselves, they all worked extremely hard and are very upset with their economics result and most are getting them re-checked.

Good luck to all involved :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Infraction for flaming. Being a spelling Nazi is not appreciated here, has no relevance to the topic and doesn't help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

C2 after A1 in the mocks and A in every test i ever did....i was completely shocked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sillyT

Hi i am thinking of doing economics for my repeat year,is the subject hard or easy.do ye think it can be done well in one year.will have to do it myself not being offered in my skul

Any info will be greatly appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

sillyT wrote: »
    Hi i am thinking of doing economics for my repeat year,is the subject hard or easy.do ye think it can be done well in one year.will have to do it myself not being offered in my skul

For learning off the points and all you should be okay but a lot of it is being able to apply it to a situation (which I found hard). I think it'd be a lot easier with a teacher. It's do-able but it depends on what you're good at really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 itzybitzyfitzy

I got an A2 in the mocks and a B3 in the leaving
    Our teacher stuck to the predictions!
    5 people in our class failed!

I got an A2 in the mocks and a B3 in the leaving
    Our teacher stuck to the predictions!
    5 people in our class failed!

Ya i thought i was smart NOT to stick to predictions!! I just knew oligopoly was too obvious!! So learned them all! I was so well prepared!! I knew all my definitions and all the current economics news and figures and all the theory! Was next to positive i was getting the A1. Then after my exam i went through my notes and the paper online and being quite stingy with the marks i got 89%. So i thought i was at least guaranteed the A! Then B2! Shocked almighty! Thankfully i did alot better in maths than I had intended which made up the points more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

I got a B3, did in 1 year, was fairly happy considering that despite the 5day gap I left all the cramming til the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

bigred100 wrote: »
    I got a B3, did in 1 year, was fairly happy considering that despite the 5day gap I left all the cramming til the last day.

Exactly the same as myself.

I got a D1 in the mocks between english and economics. And they were my best result in the mocks. And then a B3 in the real thing.

The fact of the matter are that predictions are predictions and the whole Leaving Cert exams this year had proven that predictions were dangerous games to play. Economics was not the only exam to throw a few wobbly's, and unpredictability was only to be expected. Saying that, I studied three out of the four market structures and the only one I didn't study was the one that did come up.

But saying that, I stuck into four solid days of study for the economics exam and I'm happy to say that at least 2/3 of the notes that I used were retrieved from Boards.ie. In the end I got a B3 which I am very much impressed with.

@sillyt - Economics is an easy subject to pick up, based around the aspects of definitions, understanding, and being a newspaper reader.

Read the Sunday Business Post or Sunday Independent every Sunday, the Irish Times Business Section on a Friday and the Irish Independent Business Section on a Thursday and you'll be sorted as regards keeping up to date with economy. But do keep up to date with the economy. Know your statistics and be able to know a few statistics from each aspect of the economy. Questions such as "Demonstrate your understanding of unemployment with regard to statistics" are worth 20-25 marks out of 400 afaik

Then make sure you understand the everything that is being thrown at you and rehearse, rehearse, rehearse all of the Section A questions for the whole year... Maybe doing a Section A from a different years exam papers every week.. It's a Quarter of your paper and repetitive!!!

And if you look far enough back through this forum (maybe someone can relink me?), there is a twenty page supplement that has most, if not all of the economic definitions in it, laid out in black and white. On top of this, buy the rapid revision economics book and understand it thoroughly. Don't bother buying the economics syllabus books unless you want to bore yourself to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this will help but sure anyway I did my leaving last year,was hoping for an a2 but in the end got a b3,was sickened but when I reviewed the paper I realised that my grade was justified.

People can know the course inside out but the problem people have is that they usually lose marks on silly things like not giving enough information on certain sections.For example,there was a question for 30 marks and you need to give 6 points to achieve full marks,if you give 4 points correctly then you get 20 out of 30 which is a c1 standard,thats the problem.

Hope that helps and good luck to you's who decided to appeal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Exactly the same as myself.
    I studied three out of the four market structures and the only one I didn't study was the one that did come up.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Monopoly and Perfect competition came up so 2 out of the 4 Market structures came up...?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loudog

Right, it may be a little late for my opinion but here it goes.

I'm doing economics for my leaving and I love it and luckily enough I have a good teacher. She spends half the class everyday telling us it's not just about knowing what's in the book really well. Apparently you have to be able to link it to the current economic status.

So if your talking about deflation try to link it to why we experienced deflation for a period of time. When talking about ECB regulations reffer to the irish situation. She is always telling us to read the papers and what not...

Anyway, I know a load of people who sat it thought they were gonna get As and came out with Bs and Cs, checked the paper realised they hadn't gotten the A because of that.

I know it sucks but it's what my teacher is always preaching about and she corrects them...Anyway I hope that's of some help to anyone. And if your thinking of doing it, I'd recomend finding out if you like it or not..Cos it can be a pain if you are not interested in economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Just after taking up economics now for my repeat year. No teacher, doing it myself! That sounds crazy I know, but sure a full sane person gets nowhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

sillyT wrote: »

Well worth it. Go for it. But do have your work monitored.
    NotExactly wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong but Monopoly and Perfect competition came up so 2 out of the 4 Market structures came up...?

Genuinely can't remember now but in Section B, question 2, the one market structure out of the four that i hadnt studied was the one that came up for the 75 mark question...

• Advertisement
Advertisement